This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrath a vampire?

He's not quite a traditional vampire but a psychic or energy vampire that sucks energy instead of blood and could he be the cause of the vampire legends?

Some TV shows like Buck Rogers to movies like Lifeforce, The Keep, Sleepwalkers, Not of this Earth (1957 and it's two remakes) and Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter features this kind of vampire besides Wrath.

Do you mean wraith?

if so, then yes - wraith are a variation on the vampire theme.
    sigpic
    Thanks to Draco-Stellaris for the gorgeous Todd avatar

Comment

Wraiths are different than any kind of vampire but it doesn't mean they sparkle.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryCanyon View Post
        He's not quite a traditional vampire but a psychic or energy vampire that sucks energy instead of blood and could he be the cause of the vampire legends?
        When trying to introduce the show to a friend, I always refer to the Wraith as space-vampires. Rather than drink your blood, they suck feed on your life force by attacking their hand to your chest. I'd call that an energy-zapping vampire. In regards to being the origin of vampire legends... no, the Wraith would not be the origin of this legend. Research vampire legend origins, and you will find some very interesting information. Vampirism grew out of supersition, ignorance on death and human decay, and people who were so evil and powerful, they were rumored to be immortal.

Comment

Wraith are space vampires. Awesome.

Comment

Yeah, Wraith are Vampires.

The Ancients probably told stories of the Wraith when they returned to Earth after getting their asses kicked, and those stories passed down through the ages, like stories of Atlantis or Camelot, but like a game of Chinese Whispers, kept changing.

sigpic

Comment

Deffinitly vampires. The queens are real vamps to ;p
              They even live in the dark. They do can stand the light, however it must hurt their eyes as they are used to the darkness of the universe. Love how their teeth look like. I disgusted it at first but I learned to love it somehow. They have the same form as Alucard has in some episodes of Hellsing, pointy and all.
              They do even sleep in coffins ^^ Well, during hibernation they might actually sleep in some kind of pods. If you see the wraith from aurora sleep you would think about a coffin like snowwhite.
              Funky space-vampires trough blood and bone they are.
              Last edited by Thorthewraith; 21 February 2011, 05:31 AM. Reason: little mistake
              On your knees human!! *hiss*

Comment

I don't know if I would agree that they are vampires....I mean firstly when the wraith feed their victims age rapidly as we know whereas vampires suck your blood but the victim doesn't age. Space vampires I would agree with. I also agree that it would be stories passed down from the ancients.
                Those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made unto dust.

sigpic

Comment

Space vampires is a good generalization. I liked the way the Wraith were essentially an alternative to the traditional vampire story, but also explained through the science of the show.

How long were they dormant when awakened by the expedition? I find the timeline for making them the "inspiration" for Earthly vampire myths (within the context of the fiction that is) off.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Forte View Post
                    Space vampires is a good generalization. I liked the way the Wraith were essentially an alternative to the traditional vampire story, but also explained through the science of the show.

How long were they dormant when awakened by the expedition? I find the timeline for making them the "inspiration" for Earthly vampire myths (within the context of the fiction that is) off.
                    The exact period of time wasn't specified. Or my shoddy memory lets me down again. I think Teyla said the usual hibernation cycle is 'a few centuries' in Rising, pt 1. Maybe it varies from hive to hive.

The timeline could work if the Ancients brought back stories of the Wraith to earth when they fleed there 10,000 years ago, leaving Atlantis on the bottom of the ocean.

Comment

There are lots of similarities between Wraith and vampires. I would say that Wraith are a type of vampire -the biggest difference of course they suck your life energy as opposed to blood. But you could say that blood supplies the energy that is necessary for life as it carries oxygen and nutrients. There is a connection.

It is an interesting idea that the story of the Wraith got intertwined with Earth legends. The story of the Wraith could have added to the vampaire legend on Earth. It would have been an interesting storyline to have a Wraith loose on Earth, in a small town, where the theories and myths would run amuck before the military could get involved.

Also, vampires have always been popular in entertainment, and todays market is no different- especially with female viewers these days it seems. From Buffy, to Twilight, to Vampire Diaries to now Being Human doing well in its first 2 showings.

I do think that the Wraith added to the lure and mythology of Atlantis and I do think that they were an integral part of the shows success.

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                        There are lots of similarities between Wraith and vampires. I would say that Wraith are a type of vampire -the biggest difference of course they suck your life energy as opposed to blood. But you could say that blood supplies the energy that is necessary for life as it carries oxygen and nutrients. There is a connection.

It is an interesting idea that the story of the Wraith got intertwined with Earth legends. The story of the Wraith could have added to the vampaire legend on Earth. It would have been an interesting storyline to have a Wraith loose on Earth, in a small town, where the theories and myths would run amuck before the military could get involved.

Also, vampires have always been popular in entertainment, and todays market is no different- especially with female viewers these days it seems. From Buffy, to Twilight, to Vampire Diaries to now Being Human doing well in its first 2 showings.

I do think that the Wraith added to the lure and mythology of Atlantis and I do think that they were an integral part of the shows success.
                        This is very true. Especially for us Wraith worshippers.

Comment

I'd like to think of the feeding process as the Wraith draining fluids and ingesting human DNA with the rapid aging as a side-effect, rather than them sucking energy.
                          I also don't really think the humans they feed off age as much as they rather get drained of fluids/experience the side-effects of the feeding, which looks like rapid aging.
                          This, I think, could apply to the vampire myth of being drained of your blood, and the Wraith kinda do resemble vampires, in some ways.
                          My videos
                          My art
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X