"Conan" Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Conan" Discussion Thread

So as of tonight, Conan O'Brien is back on TV!!

I know I'm not the only one who was thrilled to bits about this and just dying for him to come back on the air, and tonight's premiere did not disappoint. Conan is back in full self-depricating style

The "Last Season on Conan" bit was hilarious (especially the goofing on The Godfather), seeing the whole crew back together was great (though I missed and will continue to miss Max), and the guests weren't bad either. The moving moon was great, and I cracked right up when Conan and Lea Michele were distracted by that loud thump somewhere backstage And the Jack White/Conan band performance made for a fun goofy first musical 'guest' appearance--echoes of Conan past

Yeehaw, Conan's back
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Conan's upcoming guests, for anyone considering tuning in....

Tuesday Nov 9
    Jack McBrayer
    Tom Hanks
    Musical: Soundgarden

Wednesday Nov 10
    Charlyne Yi
    Jon Hamm
    Musical: Fistful of Mercy

Thursday Nov 11
    Julie Bowen
    Michael Cera
    Musical: John Dore

Monday Nov 15
    LL Cool J
    BJ Novak
    Musical: Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings

Tuesday Nov 16
    Harrison Ford
    Rosario Dawson
    Musical: Reggie Watts

Wednesday Nov 17
    Susan Casey
    Russell Brand
    Musical: Kid Rock

Thursday Nov 18
    Jesse Eisenberg
    Venus Williams
    Musical: The Decemberists
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      So as of tonight, Conan O'Brien is back on TV!!

I know I'm not the only one who was thrilled to bits about this and just dying for him to come back on the air, and tonight's premiere did not disappoint. Conan is back in full self-depricating style

The "Last Season on Conan" bit was hilarious (especially the goofing on The Godfather), seeing the whole crew back together was great (though I missed and will continue to miss Max), and the guests weren't bad either. The moving moon was great, and I cracked right up when Conan and Lea Michele were distracted by that loud thump somewhere backstage And the Jack White/Conan band performance made for a fun goofy first musical 'guest' appearance--echoes of Conan past

Yeehaw, Conan's back
      I agree with all of this.
      Yup, the best man in late night is back people!!! It's just too bad that Max wasn't able to come back. I miss him standing around and acting creepy.
      sigpic

Comment

The NBC jokes could get old really fast. That little skit before the actual show was good
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Seeing as I am in Australia, I had to download the episode to watch it.

I have to say though, that the video quality for the show (at least in SD) is kind of bad. It reminds me of the quality of the video during the Larry Sanders show when it would cut to segments from his talk show.

Comment

Originally posted by LordHart View Post
            Seeing as I am in Australia, I had to download the episode to watch it.

I have to say though, that the video quality for the show (at least in SD) is kind of bad. It reminds me of the quality of the video during the Larry Sanders show when it would cut to segments from his talk show.
            Yeah, SD really sucks. I watched it at midnight when it broadcast in SD, but another channel was playing it in HD at 1. The difference was like night and day.

Comment

The premiere of Conan on TBS last night earned a 2.8 household rating (i.e. 2.8% of US TV households on average watched the show) in Nielsen’s metered market overnight data. These are not the adults 18-49 ratings we typically report on the site. We’ll have viewership and adults 18-49 (and perhaps other) demo group ratings later today.
              http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/09...-ratings/71314
              Jelgate is right

Comment

I have more numbers. For those who want to mock he beat Leno by 0.1 but considering the controversy and this is Conan's pilot it was to be expected
                Conan O’Brien’s new TBS talk show was a hit with young viewers Monday night, delivering an audience with a projected median age of just 30. Conan – which featured guests Seth Rogen, Lea Michele and Jack White – was watched by 2,451,000 adults 18-34; 3,285,000 adults 18-49; and 4,155,000 viewers.
                http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/09...9-rating/71374
                Jelgate is right

Comment

I thought Conan was great, can't wait until he gets in his usually groove again. At times he seemed a bit lie he drank a few too many cups of coffee, but I still loved it.

I personally just wantthe show to succeed, Leno on a major broadcast network and so Conan "beating" him is irrelevant for me, I just want him to do well. The competition from The Daily Show and Colbert Report which are both at an all time high worries me more than stupid Leno!

Looking forward to tonight being a more typical Conan!
                  sigpic

Comment

looks like great show
                    sigpic
                    May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      I have more numbers. For those who want to mock he beat Leno by 0.1 but considering the controversy and this is Conan's pilot it was to be expected

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/11/09...9-rating/71374
                      And the problem with this system - is that this only counts the people who have Neilsen boxes. What about the millions of others who are just at home watching TV (like me) without any say it anything? If they judged shows based on real viewership, I'd say 60% of the shows that are canceled wouldn't be.

And

last night was great! Conan!! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                        And the problem with this system - is that this only counts the people who have Neilsen boxes. What about the millions of others who are just at home watching TV (like me) without any say it anything? If they judged shows based on real viewership, I'd say 60% of the shows that are canceled wouldn't be.

And

last night was great! Conan!! Woo!!
                        Thats unpractical to count ever house in the US. Never mind some value privacy the counting every night would be huge
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

or, we could devise a better system because its clear this one is broken.

Comment

Another solid show tonight! I appreciate how he's not just taking endless potshots at NBC, but rather tackling the realities of his new job. The bit with the TBS censor was hilarious

Tom Hanks is always a solid guest, though it might've been nice to have him on the first show back considering he was the one who coined "CoCo". I especially enjoyed the George Takei/monorail stuff

I don't watch 30 Rock so I wasn't especially into that interview, but Conan's chemistry with his guests makes pretty much every interview enjoyable.

And Soundgarden!! Soundgarden!!! I love Soundgarden, what an awesome guest

All in all, not quite top-shelf Conan, but still an enjoyable hour

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                              or, we could devise a better system because its clear this one is broken.
                              Is it? Or is it just fans ticked off their show wasn't popular enough for Nielson?

No system is perfect and never will be
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X