This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratings & Season 3 Renewal

I don't follow episode ratings, but I do have a question for those who do. We're six episodes into the season, seven as of tomorrow night. Syfy will be making the renewal decission based on the first half of this season, yes? Have the ratings been good enough for renewal? I don't mind a short run, I just hate unresolved storylines.

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    I don't follow episode ratings, but I do have a question for those who do. We're six episodes into the season, seven as of tomorrow night. Syfy will be making the renewal decission based on the first half of this season, yes? Have the ratings been good enough for renewal? I don't mind a short run, I just hate unresolved storylines.
    Doubtful
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

We can hope & pray. But honestly I'm not sure. They might renew it because it's part of a franchise that's been good to them for a long time. Or they might cancel it because they don't see any future.

Comment

Barring new info it is unlikely. Unless SyFY decides to commission more episodes for the sake of resolving the story, or there is some way to reduce cost/increase profit it is gone.

Comment

or if the viewrship goes up that would help.

Comment

SGU is one of the most expensive shows to be made for Syfy, with poor ratings. Any competent management person would be able to tell the show currently is not profitable, so why continue. Fortunately most management types aren't competent. So we may still be in luck.
            My guess is they wait until the first couple episodes of season 2.5. They'll set a bar that the show must beat in ratings, if it doesn't it'll be pulled just like Caprica.
            Personally I love SGU and don't want to see it canceled. On the other hand, I'm getting fraking excited about the new BSG spin off.
            sigpic

Comment

The show is obviously still profitable, whether it's more profitable than what it can be replaced by is the real question.

Comment

Im guessing they give it a 3rd season just to finish up the story, and because its kinda the main franchise of syfy. An average rating of > 1.2 would go a long way towards helping it tho.

If it does get canned I would expect some movement on Sg1 and SGA movies just to keep their property alive. Maybe a sgu movie to tie up the loose ends after that?

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
                  Im guessing they give it a 3rd season just to finish up the story, and because its kinda the main franchise of syfy. An average rating of > 1.2 would go a long way towards helping it tho.

If it does get canned I would expect some movement on Sg1 and SGA movies just to keep their property alive. Maybe a sgu movie to tie up the loose ends after that?
                  Yeah, I thought Farscape warranted a 5th season and SG1 at least a short season. they will cancel it if it loses money most of the time. Story complelteness is rarely a factor. The fact that Law and order criminal intent was renewed for a finale season surprised me. I am glad it happened, but did not expect it. Unless they think they can get an "event" worthy finale like monk had, it is likely done.

Comment

I don't see the show being renewed soley to resolve storylines. At best, there may be a head's up just before the season finale is filmed so the producers can craft a series finale. SciFi did this for SG-1, otherwise the series finale would have been a cliffhanger. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, a FOX show with potential to be the next X Files was cancelled after the Season 2 finale cliffhanger aired. No renewal, no resolution. If a show is cancelled rather than brought to an end, it's rare for the producers to know ahead of time so a proper series finale can be thrown together.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                      The show is obviously still profitable, whether it's more profitable than what it can be replaced by is the real question.
                      I'm not sure that it's obvious that it's making any profit at all. Sometimes networks will keep a show on that isn't making a profit so that it can finish its current season and in hopes it will improve. Flashforward is an example of this.
                      sigpic

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by Alexandria7 View Post
                        I'm not sure that it's obvious that it's making any profit at all. Sometimes networks will keep a show on that isn't making a profit so that it can finish its current season and in hopes it will improve. Flashforward is an example of this.
                        Source?

Comment

Shows can be pulled mid-season, but it's rare to do so. Flashforward wasn't renewed but got to run its season, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                            Source?
                            I haven't seen your source yet as to why its "obviously still profitable".

Comment

Originally posted by Sami_ View Post
                              I haven't seen your source yet as to why its "obviously still profitable".
                              Common sense. Shows are pulled when they're not profitable and replaced with something that is. If the margins were that fine, then they'd barely make any money at all. Flashforwards last episode pulled in almost 5 million viewers, the preceding episode pulled in much higher ones, that must have made money.

Comment

Working...
                              X