Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    First Lieutenant The Urban Spaceman's Avatar

Default Re: Supernatural Fanfic Nitpics and Pet Peeves

It's not just you, but then, I don't tend to read much Sam & Dean fic, preferring to read and write about supporting characters rather than the main duo. And I'd never read any kidfic, so I've missed that privilege

You're totally right, though, about the little details being 'off'. I'm so conscious of making these sorts of mistakes (as a non-American, I'm not all that familiar with Americanisms beyond what I see on TV) that I've hired mrscopterdoc as my official unofficial person to run America-related questions past, and she's been a great help so far

That said, even though I've heard of Walmart of course, I would never include it in a fic about Sam & Dean, just as I wouldn't put McDonalds or Burger King in it. Like you said, diners are their staple, not fast-food joints. I share your irritation about such minutiae. I don't think a lot of authors care about preserving the integrity of the show... not when it's so easy for them to make up details like that on the spot, because very few people will call them out over it.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Another pet peeve...in fics over all fandoms...

I am so sick of writers using the grammatically incorrect "should of" when they should be using "should've"...or "should have". IT DRIVES ME NUTS. It's so obvious that they are going by how it sounds when spoken. Also, to me anyway, it's obvious that the writers in question are quite young. Possibly teenagers still attending English classes in high school. I guess they don't use Betas...or spell check. SMH.

Sig by ME.

As the mother a teenager I can't fault the teens. The state of English classes is deplorable, with new curriculum standards citing "instruction manuals" as acceptable reading to prepare students to be career ready upon graduation. Thankfully, I homeschooled a good long time so she already had a love of literature and thought most of her english class was crap anyway...but most students don't even realize this. (And now that she's home again, hopefully we can repair some of the damage the schools have done...not all students are so lucky.)

Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions.
    --Angels in America

Quote Originally Posted by birthsister View Post
    As the mother a teenager I can't fault the teens. The state of English classes is deplorable, with new curriculum standards citing "instruction manuals" as acceptable reading to prepare students to be career ready upon graduation. Thankfully, I homeschooled a good long time so she already had a love of literature and thought most of her english class was crap anyway...but most students don't even realize this. (And now that she's home again, hopefully we can repair some of the damage the schools have done...not all students are so lucky.)
    You make a valid point. I...think I spoke rather hastily in my previous post and I apologize for that. I didn't even have good English classes when I was in high school...I had English Lit classes more than I had proper English classes, the kind where you have a textbook. That didn't happen until college. I would have rather had a creative writing class than an English Lit class because I hated reading back then...and all the books we had to read were boring (The Cay) or DEAR GOD WHY? (Lord Of The Flies). The only book I enjoyed reading was The Catcher In The Rye. I love reading now though, much more than I used to.

Sig by ME.

I think when you expose children to quality literature (I actually enjoyed Lord of the Flies) they learn to pick up on the nuances of the language. Like "should have" instead of "should of". When they never see it written down, but hear it everyday as "shoulda", their own attempts at writing sometimes produce interesting results. We also have to expect a certain amount of evolution of language. Look at "spittin' image". It originally came from the phrase "spirit and image", as in "She is just the spirit and image of her mother." Of course, when the Webster dictionary is getting new words like twerk every year, I fear for the English language.

My own pet peeves aren't so much about word usage as writing style. If you make a statement in your story, then have to take a paragraph to explain it practically with bullet points (ahem...Laurell K. Hamilton..ahem) it pulls me out of the fantasy and makes me feel like I'm reading a...an instruction manual.

Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions.
    --Angels in America