Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Powerful (and benevolent) is Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
    If Destiny was intersted in self-preservation, than wouldn't it think that Rush would be a better leader than Young? Although actually that would raise the issue of what qualities a person would need to have to be a better leader, as far as Destiny is concerned. Rush is committed to fulfilling Destiny's mission, but since he has been acting against the best interests of the crew since he gained control of the ship, that might make him detrimental to the mission rather than helpful. Destiny has actually even called him on that, blaming him for the deaths of Riley and Telford. So perhaps Destiny has either eliminated Rush for her list of potential leaders, or is testing Young to see whether he or Rush is more qualified and useful the fulfilling her mission.
    On the contrary, Rush has been acting for the betterment of the crew, too. Even he realizes that he needs a crew, so on that point alone, his actions have been towards that. Destiny (or whatever is behind it) isn't all-knowing. Rush would be the best choice, if Destiny was concerned about the mission AND crew

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
      I don't understand how Destiny is powerful enough to literally get into people's brains, but not powerful enough to prevent Rush from managing to override and get the ship going again. Also, after Rush declares that "Ultimately, I control this ship", Franklin ends with "Just because one threat is behind you doesn't mean there isn't another ahead." Sounds like a threat to me. Can Destiny get angry? Could Destiny get fed up of Rush's arrogance and be the cause of an upcoming threat? Just a thought...
      My interpretation was that Destiny has detected a potential threat ahead, and used those dreams to test Young in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
        Plus I have a logical problem with the idea of a ship that is meant to be commanded being in a position to determine who commands it. It seems like that would be programming flaw considering if it is truely an AI, why would any ship be BETTER with a crew that reacts more slowly?
        If we assume Destiny is on a super long term mission, we can use a similar anology with present day astronauts and how they are selected for each mission. The main selection criteria is definitely not who is best at anything, but how everyone gets along as a team in the long term. I think I've been watching too much Defying Gravity.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
          Actually the traits that you just mentioned would be exactly why Young would technically be a better fit. I think Scott translates perfectly what a good leader is. Regarding the Chloe deciscion, Scott couldn't make the choice, Rush would make it without thinking about it, and Young makes the decision and cares. The problem with the first is paralysis. The problem with the second is that you're basically giving the textbook definition of a psychopath. People will only follow a psychopath as long as they feel they have to. And the third can be too much of a good thing, but it's technically what you want. They will follow the third because they might die, but they won't think in their minds that when the order comes down there's been no thought put into their safety.

I like Rush, but he's not a leader because he doesn't "get" people or care to. That's a problem. If the ship was built by the ancients, I think it's been established that they tended to try to conform to the better aspects of humanity so I doubt Rush would have ever been a serious candidate.

Plus I have a logical problem with the idea of a ship that is meant to be commanded being in a position to determine who commands it. It seems like that would be programming flaw considering if it is truely an AI, why would any ship be BETTER with a crew that reacts more slowly?
          well put
          I think that's why the Destiny was meant to run with a crew and not at the whim of one man. It's probably really far fetched but I'm picturing the Destiny picking traits off each of the crew and adding them to her AI. Just like any of us in reality, if we only ever worked on one thing that drove us, we'd be a failure, but together? Maybe we're being shown all these aspects for a reason
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I'm loving that the ship has a personality of sorts. It knows Rush has the codes, yet tests Young to see if he's worthy of being in command. I wouldn't be surprised if Destiny changes the code at some point so Young is in command. It would be interesting to see Destiny pick it's Captain.

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
            On the contrary, Rush has been acting for the betterment of the crew, too. Even he realizes that he needs a crew, so on that point alone, his actions have been towards that. Destiny (or whatever is behind it) isn't all-knowing. Rush would be the best choice, if Destiny was concerned about the mission AND crew
            I disagree. Rush isn't interested in what's better for the crew, but what's better for the ship. He'd sacrifice the crew to save the ship, which we've seen him do. He's in charge of the ship's systems, yet keeps it a secret so he can do what he wants. He faked Chloe's cure just to help himself understand some stuff.

Yes he's shown a bit of compassion by stopping the ship a few hours later with the chance of rescuing the crew, but if they discovered a way back home in the next episode, Rush would just leave it behind and ignore the crew's desire to return home because he doesn't want to go back.

sigpic

Comment

I think the warning is about what lays ahead.

Remember, there have been other ships ahead of Destiny that seeded the planets with a Stargate in front of it.

But I wonder if that will eventually run out and Destiny will overtake the last seedership and go beyond.

That means they'd have to take shuttles and the rings down to the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                I think the warning is about what lays ahead.

Remember, there have been other ships ahead of Destiny that seeded the planets with a Stargate in front of it.

But I wonder if that will eventually run out and Destiny will overtake the last seedership and go beyond.

That means they'd have to take shuttles and the rings down to the planet.
                Colonel Telford to the rescue. Ludicrous speed!

Comment

I personally believe that he will be seen again.

Comment

I think the 'greater threat that lies ahead' that Rush was being warned about was the threat of cancellation.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think that Destiny will give Rush every chance to see the error of his ways... right up until he literally pushes its last button. Then we'll see Destiny 'angry'. And Rush will get what he deserves. I think his punishment this season will be even worse than being stranded.
                      sigpic
                      More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                        I think the 'greater threat that lies ahead' that Rush was being warned about was the threat of cancellation.
                        Thou shall speak no evil! Bad juu.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                          Thou shall speak no evil! Bad juu.
                          Don't worry, I am sitting in the naughty corner.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's definitely a Hal-9000...

I think the Destiny was programmed by the ancients with knowledge of the future. It was sent out to wait a million years for the crew and it is now preparing them for the events to come. I don't think the ancients ever intended to board the Destiny. I think the Destiny is aware, but it's not thinking/feeling. I speculate that the ancients may have used this type of AI, but then got rid of it because it became too advanced-too hard to control over time.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              I think it ties into the whole "destiny" thing and choosing your own. I think the ship could stop Rush whenever it wanted to, but humans choose their own destiny
                              As said by Keanu Reeves, Free will is a Bi((h

I like Rush, but he's not a leader because he doesn't "get" people or care to. That's a problem. If the ship was built by the ancients, I think it's been established that they tended to try to conform to the better aspects of humanity so I doubt Rush would have ever been a serious candidate.
                              But he has been the only one to open the command center

I'm loving that the ship has a personality of sorts. It knows Rush has the codes, yet tests Young to see if he's worthy of being in command. I wouldn't be surprised if Destiny changes the code at some point so Young is in command. It would be interesting to see Destiny pick it's Captain.
                              That would certainly mess up Rush's plan for control. BUT i don't think it has that capcity. IMO the code was hard wired in.

Comment

sort of makes you wonder about some of the kino footage. occasionly we see a kino turn and look at someone for no reason (see "Time" when the Kino looks at Rush when Eli is dialling and in "Nobody Cares" kinosode the kino turns to Eli when he is interviewing Chloe). perhaps Destiny is using them to look around.

Comment

Working...
                                X