Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Powerful (and benevolent) is Destiny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Powerful (and benevolent) is Destiny?

I don't understand how Destiny is powerful enough to literally get into people's brains, but not powerful enough to prevent Rush from managing to override and get the ship going again. Also, after Rush declares that "Ultimately, I control this ship", Franklin ends with "Just because one threat is behind you doesn't mean there isn't another ahead." Sounds like a threat to me. Can Destiny get angry? Could Destiny get fed up of Rush's arrogance and be the cause of an upcoming threat? Just a thought...
    sigpic
    Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
    O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
    Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
    O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

I think it ties into the whole "destiny" thing and choosing your own. I think the ship could stop Rush whenever it wanted to, but humans choose their own destiny
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I don't think that was Destiny warning Rush of Destiny's disapproval. In fact I think Destiny is doing what it can to support Rush i.e. testing Young. Which leads to Rush figuring out that he does in fact have ULTIMATE control of the ship. He just hasn't figured out what all it can do, enter Franklin the Tutorial Guide. Franklin's warning has more to do with the ship letting Rush know that there will come a time that they do in fact experience real danger like the simulation and they need to prepare, more over, come together as a crew and operate the ship properly. Rush is just ignoring that part of the Tutorial so far. But not for long.

Comment

we know from previous incarnations that the brain is a powerful thing. no machine can control that

Comment

Originally posted by icsteffi View Post
          I don't understand how Destiny is powerful enough to literally get into people's brains, but not powerful enough to prevent Rush from managing to override and get the ship going again. Also, after Rush declares that "Ultimately, I control this ship", Franklin ends with "Just because one threat is behind you doesn't mean there isn't another ahead." Sounds like a threat to me. Can Destiny get angry? Could Destiny get fed up of Rush's arrogance and be the cause of an upcoming threat? Just a thought...
          Destiny has a control room and control panels so it was designed to be operated by people. So its only natural that it should submit to the control of someone, like Rush, who has figured out how to operate it.

As far as the threat of attack goes, destiny is indeed testing Rush and the others. Its indeed quite an intelligent ship.

Comment

I don't think we can safely declare that it's Destiny doing it yet. Could be Franklin as the "AI" trying to get used to his new situation and finding ways to communicate with the crew based on what he's learned.

Comment

Its the ship alright, unless Franklin undergoes a sex change operation to look like Gloria once in a while.
              Destiny wants to help us, not murder us!

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
                Its the ship alright, unless Franklin undergoes a sex change operation to look like Gloria once in a while.
                Destiny wants to help us, not murder us!
                If he can appear and disappear on the bridge like a holographic projection, then he's capable of modifying his voice and looks. Hell, we can do that with today's technology.

Comment

If that's true, let's just hope "Gloria" doesn't try to seduce Rush.

Comment

destiny didnt make him do anything directly, more of a strong influence
                    sigpic

Comment

Destiny is a ship that was designed to be controlled by people. Therefore, it would make sense that even if Destiny decided to run a simulation to test how well the Commander of the ship could lead the crews, that there would be a way to pause or end that program if necessary. Rush was able to figure out how to gain control of the computer to at least postpone the simulation. That suggests that whatever control Destiny has over her own systems, she can still be controlled by someone with knowledge of the base code and how to operate the computers.
                      sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

I think it ties into the mission. Maybe Destiny's mission is to make whoever is in control of the ship achieve 'their' mission. Or something weird like that. So Destiny is trying to find a suitable leader/controller who will then determine Destiny's fate. And in its own self-preserving interests it, the ship, wants to survive as long as possible.

Comment

If Destiny was intersted in self-preservation, than wouldn't it think that Rush would be a better leader than Young? Although actually that would raise the issue of what qualities a person would need to have to be a better leader, as far as Destiny is concerned. Rush is committed to fulfilling Destiny's mission, but since he has been acting against the best interests of the crew since he gained control of the ship, that might make him detrimental to the mission rather than helpful. Destiny has actually even called him on that, blaming him for the deaths of Riley and Telford. So perhaps Destiny has either eliminated Rush for her list of potential leaders, or is testing Young to see whether he or Rush is more qualified and useful the fulfilling her mission.
                          sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora24 View Post
                            If Destiny was intersted in self-preservation, than wouldn't it think that Rush would be a better leader than Young? Although actually that would raise the issue of what qualities a person would need to have to be a better leader, as far as Destiny is concerned. Rush is committed to fulfilling Destiny's mission, but since he has been acting against the best interests of the crew since he gained control of the ship, that might make him detrimental to the mission rather than helpful. Destiny has actually even called him on that, blaming him for the deaths of Riley and Telford. So perhaps Destiny has either eliminated Rush for her list of potential leaders, or is testing Young to see whether he or Rush is more qualified and useful the fulfilling her mission.
                            Destiny is probably capbable of being open-minded. It's still analysing and observing the crew and trying to find the best mix. Wouldn't be wise to eliminate anyone but have options. Like bench players. 1st preference 2nd preference. Good to have backups.

Comment

Actually the traits that you just mentioned would be exactly why Young would technically be a better fit. I think Scott translates perfectly what a good leader is. Regarding the Chloe deciscion, Scott couldn't make the choice, Rush would make it without thinking about it, and Young makes the decision and cares. The problem with the first is paralysis. The problem with the second is that you're basically giving the textbook definition of a psychopath. People will only follow a psychopath as long as they feel they have to. And the third can be too much of a good thing, but it's technically what you want. They will follow the third because they might die, but they won't think in their minds that when the order comes down there's been no thought put into their safety.

I like Rush, but he's not a leader because he doesn't "get" people or care to. That's a problem. If the ship was built by the ancients, I think it's been established that they tended to try to conform to the better aspects of humanity so I doubt Rush would have ever been a serious candidate.

Plus I have a logical problem with the idea of a ship that is meant to be commanded being in a position to determine who commands it. It seems like that would be programming flaw considering if it is truely an AI, why would any ship be BETTER with a crew that reacts more slowly?

Comment

Working...
                              X