It wasn't about Young, it was about Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't about Young, it was about Rush

Destiny wasn't rejecting Young, it was rejecting Rush and trying to find someone else to put in charge for whatever dangers are ahead. When it wasn't convinced of Young's ability either, it decided it would park its metal ass right where it was at until someone capable was in control. If Young had maintained his composure and Rush had left the simulation running, I'm betting that a few dreams later, Destiny would have given Young an in-dream walk to the bridge.

Evidence:
    - Rush's wife is no longer asking him any questions. It's all Franklin now, and the tone is becoming outright hostile. Destiny understands him, and it's not pleased.
    - Destiny can't test Young directly, as the holographic emitters (or whatever) seem to only be on the bridge. So it tried the dream route, seeing how he would react to various threats, trying to do the same personality-probing that it did with Rush.
    - Rush himself gave it away during the conversation at the end, which included the line, "Ultimately, I control the ship." After that discussion, Rush looks around with a Hey, wait a minute look, but Franklin has disappeared.

Yes, I wonder why Destiny links Young, too. After all Rush is the one who sit on the chair and finds the bridge, control it all the time.

Maybe Rush has some alien gene too like Chloe, so Destiny chooses Young

Comment

A ship needs a captain. A captain cares about its crew and about the ship. Rush cares about himself first, then the ship, then the people. No wonder Destiny put her foot down when Young decided to take a day off.

Wait until Wray figures out the ship never even thought of her as a leader... look Camille, the airlock is just there... Then again, if the ship is a she, she might have a chance after all...

Comment

I just keep waiting for the ship to choose a leader way out of left field... like Greer. Destiny has a thing for flamethrowers, and knows Greer is her man in that department.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by k1037 View Post
          Destiny wasn't rejecting Young, it was rejecting Rush
          I don't think it was rejecting Rush, otherwise Franklin would not have asked Rush so persistently to "look closer!". Therefore I think it was rather intending to educate Rush. Correct me if I am wrong, but I realised that directly going to FTL from the bridge would be the only way to get out of
          Spoiler:
          the deadlock in the simulation
          . Therefore to me the plainest explanation is that Destiny considers it a risk for her own safety that
          Spoiler:
          noone but Rush knows about the bridge,
          and was trying to make Rush realise this (the "problem" that Rush was supposed to solve according to Franklin?). She was intending that Rush realise this based on the simulation. Her message was therefore directed at Rush, but maybe also at Young (Young might have come to the conclusion that
          Spoiler:
          they must look for the bridge; or the situation would have given Rush a good opportunity to reveal the knowledge of the bridge to Young as a solution for Young's dilemma i.e. in a way that saves Rushes face).
          She probably wants them to work together, or simply assure everyone has this ship-saving knowledge. Whether testing Youngs ability to command was not the purpose at all, or a parallel purpose of the simulation, I don't know. But couldn't Destiny just say in clear words what she wants...Seems like a ship with high didactic ambitions, let the students come to the right conclusion themselves... I like that though :-)

Comment

I really liked Rush's scene at the end. It sets up nicely for a future episode. Rush hasn't figured everything out yet, but he presses on without caring about the dangers it could pose to the ship and its crew. And he pressed on interrupting the Destiny.

Comment

i doubt Franklin is a hologram. rather, i think that whatever affects Young's brainwaves affects Rush' too. essentially it's attempting to convince rush of things via two emotionally important people: Gloria, his wife, and Franklin, who he indirectly killed

if Young sat there, it would probably be riley

Comment

What if it's neither about Young, nor about Rush, but about the new crew in general?

If I'd be able to launch an advanced ship like Destiny, for a mission which reach into the far future, long after my own civilization is maybe not anymore a part of this world, I'd make sure that the ship will fulfill it's purpose, under any circumstances, and build in some more advanced safety nets. So, that a new Crew won't be able to change the ships Destination.

In the moment it looks very much like the ship was created to support, and keep at some point a crew alive, whoever this crew may be. Destiny's systems made sure that the people can stop at various planets to get supplies, like water, food, and whatever is needed to survive on board.

Bit by bit the crew is allowed to get more and more control over Destiny's systems, as long as their desires don't collide with her mission.

Obviously the ship needs a complete crew (Franklin's constant reminder about that), and not only one person, like Rush, to go where ever that may be. And therefore somebody is needed to keep the crew together. And that's most likely Young. But Young wants to go home, and will not fulfill Destiny's mission. And that, on the other hand makes Rush's paranoid behavior about Young even more understandable as something Destiny could use, and support, cos Rush is willing to fulfill Destiny's mission, but he needs to learn to work with the entire crew. If the crew go home too early the mission will fail. If there's no crew the mission will fail. So what is needed is, to bring as much people as possible in line. Destiny seems to find different ways to reach for those different characters, one by one.

But maybe I'm complete wrong with this.
                sigpic

Comment

I honestly don't understand why anyone would be saying that the ship is trying to boot Rush.. That's clearly not the case. In fact the complete opposite is true. The ship is supporting Rush every step of the way. Rush saying "Ultimately, I have control of the ship," wasn't a slight of his "Attitude" at all. It was a layered statement speaking to the point of Destiny supporting Rush's desire to have a clearly defined Crew leader who can bare the burdens of the crew. When Rush figures out that Scott can't step up to that role he could have sat there in dead space as long as he wanted to press the issue.. There was no danger of attack. Instead he chose to keep Young in that position as a default. Better a rejuvenated Young then someone who can't handle it at all. That's why Franklin played on Rush's opinion of Young as weak and stated the problem hasn't been solved.

Call Rush's ex wife on the ship a "Get to know You" program.. Call Franklin a Tutorial Guide. Rush commands the ship, Young commands the crew, just wait till next week.

Comment

I think whoever is responsible for Gloria, Franklin, and the Young dreams, is trying to educate them. I think it recognizes a need for a captain, and realizes neither Young, nor Rush are up to the role, so is taking steps inline with both of them to improve them.

With Young, it knew he was breaking down, so instituted something that would further the breakdown; once you get someone to the bottom of the barrel, there is only one direction: up. And if Young didn't improve, the fallback plan would have been for Scott to take over. I think it's a failing of Scott that he didn't temporarily assume command and give Young some time off. And I still think Young "recovered" too soon, so odds are he's still in breakdown mode.

As for Rush, why would Destiny reject him? Rush is smart and arrogant, just like the Ancients. If anything, Destiny should be cheering him on! (a bit tongue-in-cheek there). Rush sat in the chair. Rush figured out the hint. Rush's program broke the master code. If anything, he's earned the bridge, and I think whoever is responsible there, knows that, so it's trying to teach him by setting up situations that Rush can overcome.

Of course, if it really is Franklin and he's responsible for things, then it kinda makes sense. Franklin is trying to teach Rush, while subtly goading him to let others in on it, which may or may not be the right thing.

I will say one thing: to those who thought Rush wanted to seize power, this episode should prove them wrong. Rather than take command from Young, Rush agreed with Wray that Scott should take it. If he wanted command, he could have taken it.

And lastly, I do think it's dangerous to apply something mystical or godlike to the ship. Worship of beings as perfect gods has been a theme of the SG series, and it's always shown to be a bad thing. That includes Destiny. Whoever is really behind things, it's a bad idea to fully trust them. Much like SG-1 told the people they came across, they have to determine their own destiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
                      I will say one thing: to those who thought Rush wanted to seize power, this episode should prove them wrong. Rather than take command from Young, Rush agreed with Wray that Scott should take it. If he wanted command, he could have taken it.
                      Rush had learned from his previous attempts at openly grabbing power that the crew won't accept him as their leader. So he just wants someone to be the puppet leader. In each and every episode we see that Rush is the one who was ultimately in control.

Comment

Rush controls the ship, not the crew, and understands that he won't. This is why he recommends Scott with Wray.

Comment

The Destinys' AI or whatever it is seems to be continually telling Rush he can't do this alone. Rush thinks he can, so the ship is somehow telling the rest of the crew to wake up in effect. The ship knows who it needs and what it will be up against-quite telling by Franklins comment at the end.
                          SGU fangirl

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                            Rush controls the ship, not the crew, and understands that he won't. This is why he recommends Scott with Wray.
                            That's an important distinction. Rush doesn't want command of the crew, so much as he wants to see the mission realized. He'd like command of his science team, but Young has taken them over, so I see Rush's actions as more: "Fine, you want the team, then they are yours. I'll work by myself." He's obviously right that Young was fit to lead; Wray and Scott agreed.

Originally posted by mere earthling View Post
                            The Destinys' AI or whatever it is seems to be continually telling Rush he can't do this alone. Rush thinks he can, so the ship is somehow telling the rest of the crew to wake up in effect. The ship knows who it needs and what it will be up against-quite telling by Franklins comment at the end.
                            If it wanted that, it has the power to outright tell the crew that Rush has found the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                              What if it's neither about Young, nor about Rush, but about the new crew in general?

If I'd be able to launch an advanced ship like Destiny, for a mission which reach into the far future, long after my own civilization is maybe not anymore a part of this world, I'd make sure that the ship will fulfill it's purpose, under any circumstances, and build in some more advanced safety nets. So, that a new Crew won't be able to change the ships Destination.

In the moment it looks very much like the ship was created to support, and keep at some point a crew alive, whoever this crew may be. Destiny's systems made sure that the people can stop at various planets to get supplies, like water, food, and whatever is needed to survive on board.

Bit by bit the crew is allowed to get more and more control over Destiny's systems, as long as their desires don't collide with her mission.

Obviously the ship needs a complete crew (Franklin's constant reminder about that), and not only one person, like Rush, to go where ever that may be. And therefore somebody is needed to keep the crew together. And that's most likely Young. But Young wants to go home, and will not fulfill Destiny's mission. And that, on the other hand makes Rush's paranoid behavior about Young even more understandable as something Destiny could use, and support, cos Rush is willing to fulfill Destiny's mission, but he needs to learn to work with the entire crew. If the crew go home too early the mission will fail. If there's no crew the mission will fail. So what is needed is, to bring as much people as possible in line. Destiny seems to find different ways to reach for those different characters, one by one.

But maybe I'm complete wrong with this.
                              Actualy you can change the destination of the ship as you can see in the mid season finale,
                              Spoiler:
                              where Rush finds a signal emanateing from a spaceship graveyard.

Comment

Working...
                              X