So won't the ship try to....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ipfnd View Post
    I agree, I'm not on board with the ship being sentient. I that were the case then I would have expected Atlantis to be sentient.
    I think this assumes a continous line of succession in terms of technology from Destiny Era to Lantean Era... which I don't quite think is the case. The progression from Alteran to Lantean era civilisations was probably as rocky as the progression of our civilisation from the Bronze Age to today.

Technology ebbs and flows, knowledge is gained, lost, ignored, regained, affirmed generations after the fact or simply not discovered at all. Leaps and bounds are made, wars and revolutions, fragmentation and empire... to assume that Alteran-Lantean progression was monolithic and linear is a major, major assumption.

It's possible that the ability to imbue Destiny style sentience in ships / bases might be a kind of lost technology. Consider for instance Greek Fire as an analogue. Consider further that Atlantis and Destiny are the products of two different cultures with two vastly different purposes.

Atlantis was a city, meant to be populated by the Ancients in perpetuity. It was never necessary to make the city quasi-sentient because it was assumed that it would always be inhabited (wraith notwithstanding) by the Ancients, whom would be able to take care of any problems that may have arisen.

Destiny in contrast was meant to go it alone for what amounts to a minor geological age. Any hunk of technology is going to need a degree of self awareness in order to best follow through on its mission. You can't write an infinite number of If and Else statements, Destiny needs to be able to analyse problems, create solutions and follow through on them on the basis that it could potentially encounter anything.

It was probable, in the minds of Destiny's builders, that the people that would eventually come to crew Destiny might be very different people, technologically, physiologically and psychologically from themselves. How do you factor that into an If / Else statement?

I think Destiny's sentience can be likened to a Dolphin or a whale. We don't necessarily understand how they think and can barely communicate with them... but we know them to be intelligent, problem solvers, are able to show empathy and can be quite troublesome when they want to be. They have their own desires and purposes and can analyse situations in context and exploit it for their best advantage if given a chance to learn.

Trial and Error left me with that impression. Destiny is like a dog or a cat that knows something is wrong its owner and tries to address it in the way it determines best. A cat will sit on your lap. A dog will rest it's head on your leg and look up at you with those puppy dog eyes it never quite lost.

It wasn't quite 100% effective in this ep and it likely learned something from Young and Scott's private discussion but Destiny gets into your brain and tries to get you to man up.

Whether this develops into full on Andromeda-like personality manifestation (DEAR GOD NO) or a more subtle interactivity (Farscape's Moya sans Pilot) remains to be seen.

Comment

I think that we are dealing with a very complex autopilot. It doesn't have a personality or true self-awareness, but it does have the ability to learn and carry out complex actions on its own initiative.

Franklin's consciousness might be involved somehow.

Comment

Personally, I hope that Destiny is beyond AI. I hope that they find out that Destiny's consciousness is that of an Alteran woman who was terminally ill. Maybe even someone who knew Amelius.

Comment

Don't think the ship is trying to kill of anyone. Probably like safeguard where the ship won't go into FTL when there is an active wormhole, the ancients probably have put in safeguards or maybe even make it a priority for the ship to ensure the safety of the crew first.

As Franklin hinted to Rush, the ship was running a simulation and has stopped the ship but they never really answer the question why. I think maybe there is some threat ahead that the ship knew about and that the crew may not survive it so it did the safe and logical thing it could. Stop and 'think' about how to get the crew past the threat safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Aewon View Post
            Personally, I hope that Destiny is beyond AI. I hope that they find out that Destiny's consciousness is that of an Alteran woman who was terminally ill. Maybe even someone who knew Amelius.
            why a woman and not a man ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
              Can you imagine saying, my ship the Destiny he's so beautiful?

Comment

Originally posted by Nemises View Post
                Originally posted by pipi View Post
                Can you imagine saying, my ship the Destiny he's so beautiful?
                For some historical reasons all ships are female

So I guess, it's not unlikely to make a ship's avatar female, isn't it?
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemis-Neith View Post
                  For some historical reasons all ships are female

So I guess, it's not unlikely to make a ship's avatar female, isn't it?
                  IIRC it goes back to old sea tradations where all male crews were prideful and loved their ship much as they would love their wife. But I'm not certain.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree with the opinion that the ship is not sentiet. I further don't believe that there was any intelligence on the part of Destiny involved in what happened. There is no reason for the ship to independently run a battle simulation of all things right now. Further, I don't buy that the ship is testing Young or helping him. I suspect that the simulation was setup and delay initiated by Chloe during one of her blackouts. The purpose being that the blue aliens wish to learn about how this crew will attempt to defend itself. Their involvement would also explain why the ship was eventually crippled during the simulations.

A buy product of the massive simulation is that it affects Young's dreams if he falls asleep during a simulation. This might be due to some sort of classification system Destiny applies to any crew that are aboard it. Since Young is the military leader, battle simulations are most relevant to him and his role on the crew, so the ship projects them into his subconscious. Technical information is most relevant to Rush so the ship would project that information to him etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                      I agree with the opinion that the ship is not sentiet. I further don't believe that there was any intelligence on the part of Destiny involved in what happened. There is no reason for the ship to independently run a battle simulation of all things right now. Further, I don't buy that the ship is testing Young or helping him. I suspect that the simulation was setup and delay initiated by Chloe during one of her blackouts. The purpose being that the blue aliens wish to learn about how this crew will attempt to defend itself. Their involvement would also explain why the ship was eventually crippled during the simulations.

A buy product of the massive simulation is that it affects Young's dreams if he falls asleep during a simulation. This might be due to some sort of classification system Destiny applies to any crew that are aboard it. Since Young is the military leader, battle simulations are most relevant to him and his role on the crew, so the ship projects them into his subconscious. Technical information is most relevant to Rush so the ship would project that information to him etc. etc.
                      That's a new theory to consider indeed. But the scene where the Rush overrode the simulation was quite convincing to suggest there was some form of AI onboard Destiny. Highly likely the dude that got vaporised in the chair has somehow been used by the ship to gather information about the crew like language and social behaviours to construct a customised AI.

Comment

I don't buy that the ship is now some sort of AI creature that is weeding out the weak and choosing who it wants to lead the ship. If that is the case, why didn't Atlantis ask Shep if he wanted a beer whenever he sat down on his bed after a long day?

It would seem strange to provide Destiny with this tech, and then never use it again on any of its future ships, would be a bit odd. It would almost seem to be like reverting back to an older tech....or perhaps it went completely pear shaped and they didn't want their ships choosing their dodgeball teams.

I agree with the above poster that this turn of events has more to do with Chloe and her little issues and/or standard Rush shenanigans.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          I don't buy that the ship is now some sort of AI creature that is weeding out the weak and choosing who it wants to lead the ship. If that is the case, why didn't Atlantis ask Shep if he wanted a beer whenever he sat down on his bed after a long day?
                          This will all be explained once we find out what Destiny's mission is. If we speculate that the mission is to be a one-way trip to a new colony or something, then allowing the ship to evolve based on its crew for the long journey would make more sense. As opposed to a city like Atlantis which has no mission.

Comment

It was not suggested that the ship was trying to get rid of Young. It was believed wanted to test his ability as leader. A test could occur later on, but it is likely that Rush, who now has control of the bridge ,would be able to bypass such processes. Although the ship may try to control some aspects of the situation board, Rush is currently the ultimate controller as he controls the ship.
                            Abbas Karimjee
                            www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
                            The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post

It would seem strange to provide Destiny with this tech, and then never use it again on any of its future ships, would be a bit odd. It would almost seem to be like reverting back to an older tech....or perhaps it went completely pear shaped and they didn't want their ships choosing their dodgeball teams.
                              Exactly it could easily be -failed- technology, I mean from what we've seen the Atlantians were not exactly all knowing they made a fair share of mistakes. and this is one of them, so they discontinued it. Or its posable that it needed a living mind to function, and the Atlantians just wern't willing to sacrifice themselves into the machine

Remember that AI in B5 that got turned off because it buggered up?
                              sigpic

Comment

I begin to see how SGU writers trying to introduce about the earliest chair technology made by the ancient works. If in SG1 and SGA the chair provide information, navigation and weapon controls, in SGU the chair mainly provide an artificial advisory by altering sensory of the person who sit on the chair.

I think it begin with a complicated sampling the first person who willing to be the image of an advisor that every crew knows and that was what happened to Franklin disappearance after a couple of sessions on the chair.

The dream invaded battle simulation into Col. Young mind made the technology understanding much more difficult for us when it may deployed by Chloe during her blackout. It seem plausible since the result that the blue alien did to Chloe brain is as much as advanced as the dream manipulation without a direct contact to any device where the ancient technology supposed to work. The blue alien has been introduced to us in the first season with mind reader technology.

So, if anything related to mind manipulation were connected to Chloe doing, it seem fitted. Basically, the Destiny's AI just the usual standard issue AI made by the ancient. Nothing beyond the known designs was evolved in Milky-Way galaxy.

But, now the question is what will the Destiny becoming with added the Blue alien AI feed by their Zombie Chloe into the system mixing with the ancient AI?

Comment

Working...
                                X