How do they keep up with their hygiene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do they keep up with their hygiene?

While watching the episode, it just dawned on me.... how do they keep up with their hygiene.

I know it's been answered back in season 1 about showers and power cell regeneration...

But what about toothbrush, hairbrush, shavers, etc?

The women have the most straightest hair now in mid season 2 as they did in season 1. Constant travels off-world and back. And the hair is automagically flowing instead of filled with natural hair oils that even three washes with water cannot take out without the presence of shampoos or conditioners.

The men... unless they're genetically born to not grow facial hair, I'm sorry, but I cannot imagine every men packed their shavers from Icarus Base.

And sharing shavers, toothbrush, etc... I dunno... even in the most extreme circumstances, I don't think I can ever share such items even when stranded on an island far away from civilization.

And then, Brody in this episode made mention of Destiny's restrooms. Where does all the waste go though? is it recycled to energy or is there a waste bay somewhere undiscovered? Are there robots to clean up potential clogs like the repair bots they saw in season 1? But this is another topic....

Back to beards... It seems Rush is the only one growing a beard. Young was stressed to show a beard but automagically disappeared by the end of the show. Greer and Scott are clean. Eli... How old is he again? 20-ish? Still... he should be developing like sideburns or a mustache.... yet no signs...

Quick answer. They don't.

But some things like making an actor grow out their beards when off the show is unrealastic.
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

They have razors. They have shown young shaving before. I think he shaved at the end of this episode, too.

Comment

Expedition supplies likely would have included grooming tools.

The toilets on a spaceship should logically be designed to recycle waste.

Comment

I assume it's much like a submarine, except it uses magic.

Comment

In this episode, Trail & Error, where hear Young say that he could smell his Crew in his dreams, and Wray just stops and then believes the whole crazy dream based off that statement alone, Haha, i guess that shows you how real the Hygine issue is on the Destiny......
            sigpic

Destiny: Coming To a Universe Near You......

Comment

Though the wireless charging pad seen in earlier episodes shows how
              a razor would be charged, (this tech exists in real life now); even electric
              razors require a changing of the cutter blocks and foil. Just an item of
              thought.

I've also thought if they have not kept up with hygiene, and the diet they
              are forced to consume; what affect does this have on someone visiting the
              ship via the stones? Someone from earth arrives in a body that may
              not be "really clean", etc.

For that matter, what would that be like in general; appear in a body not washed or
              with discomforts or physical ailments (the episode with the physically handicapped scientist and Lt James was uncomfortable with trading); even something so small as
              a taste of food on ones tongue you did not consume, and possibly do not enjoy?

I hope to hell they have some kind of sonic toothbrush or something. Brushes wear out, toothpaste runs out etc.
              "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

they do have showers onboard, but yeah that crack about smelling them in dream was hilarious.

Comment

Even razors grow dull after all, though. And that still leaves out hair.

Real answer: It's a plot hole, but one you kinda have to ignore. Nobody would tune in to watch ugly people week after week, so they have to beautify the people. Just like photo-shopping model photos.

Comment

Soap is quite easily made from natural materials, and toothpaste too.

Comment

Recipes badonion?

Also how did the ancients keep up with their hygiene?

And why hasn't Eli lost weight? This would be realistic under the conditions on the Destiny.

Comment

Lets not start picking at the little things on SGU, there was enough of the big things being picked over for me to want to read another 65 threads on why SGU isnt as realistic as viewers believe it should be.

For all we know, the Ancients had a sonic cleaner that cleans away anything not native to the host they are about to clean, sonic vibrations to remove plaque and tarter, breakdown dirt and oil outside the body. As we have seen, the ship is intelligent, and as we are the second evolution of the Ancients, the ship will have full biological data available for humans at our level of evolution.

N.C

Comment

If the Ancients put toilets on the ship, they put showers on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by Utitan View Post
                            If the Ancients put toilets on the ship, they put showers on the ship.
                            we know theres shower-esque things on Destiny, ala season 1 "Darkness"

N.C

Comment

How would they make toilet paper ?

Comment

Working...
                              X