Scott's vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott's vision

I don't think there's been a specific thread on this. Do you reckon Scott's hallucination was meant to be:
    a) How he sees all the members of the crew?
    b) Idealised versions of the crew members?
    c) An alternate reality (I doubt it, but it's a theory)?
    d) Just a dream populated by people he knows?
    e) The universe sending him some kind of message?

I mean, does he see Young as a father figure or does he just want to see Young as a father figure? Does he see Eli and Chloe as just close friends (manifested in his dream as siblings) or does he have a clue about Eli's feelings for Chloe but wishes they weren't there? Does he see Telford as the peacekeeper, or does he feel Telford should be the peacekeeper?

Regardless, the anomaly is Scott himself. Is he seeing himself as who he really is? Or how he wishes he could be? His second thoughts about the wedding and hitting on James in the bar make us believe he's acting like the Scott of old (as seen back in Air part 1). Here he acts the same. Is he secretly yearning for that life or seeing how unsatisfying it was?

i saw it as A).....which made the vision/Dream VERY interesting....

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

I think it was a mixture of a) an b). They were idealised because that's how Scott wants to think of them all, just like we all want to think of certain people in a certain way. Certainly he seems blind to many of youngs faults.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I see it as mostly a, with the touch of b being that Scott in general does see things in a slightly idealized way already. As Young says: "A heart as big as a house."
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I'd say a, b and a little bit of d.

Comment

I suppose it's no too surprising that Scott placed his dream in an area which he knew best, a small town in America (or BC).

I found it interesting that only people from the current crew were included in this dream. Why wouldn't he have included people from his old home town?

Also of note, he and Chloe got married by a Justice of the Peace. I'd have thought a good catholic boy like him would want to tie the knot in church.

Finally, I'm glad they didn't go with the original plan for the episode which was to make it a musical. Here are some out-takes from the first shots done before they scrapped the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZuiv88EQA&feature

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
              I suppose it's no too surprising that Scott placed his dream in an area which he knew best, a small town in America (or BC).

I found it interesting that only people from the current crew were included in this dream. Why wouldn't he have included people from his old home town?

Also of note, he and Chloe got married by a Justice of the Peace. I'd have thought a good catholic boy like him would want to tie the knot in church.

Finally, I'm glad they didn't go with the original plan for the episode which was to make it a musical. Here are some out-takes from the first shots done before they scrapped the concept:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDZuiv88EQA&feature

regards,
              G.
              a musical would have been awesome!

Adding to what you said about other people being there, I thought his son would have a place in it. I mean since we found out about him he was only mentioned once, and that was in Pain in his vision. Just thought it would be brought up more

Comment

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
                Adding to what you said about other people being there, I thought his son would have a place in it. I mean since we found out about him he was only mentioned once, and that was in Pain in his vision. Just thought it would be brought up more
                Good catch. I had forgotten about him.

regards,
                G.
                Go for Marty...

Comment

Good catch. I had forgotten about him.
                  Apparently, so did Scott. Ha ha, out of wedlock.

More seriously, the kid just didn't fit into Scott's world. He didn't know about little Matt until just recently, so he's not really a part of his life.

Comment

Could be, or, maybe the producers wanted to limit the number of salaries...

regards,
                    G.
                    Go for Marty...

Comment

I believe it is A. The way he sees all of the crew members. This would particularly be true considering that Scott does not have a family back on Earth. He has, however, developed quite close and fond relationships aboard Destiny, especially, under the extraordinary circumstabces present. As he has become close with indivuduals and been through a lot with then since their arrival on Destiny, it seems they have acted as a substitute for the family and additional support system, which Scott was denied of during his childhood/youth.
                      Abbas Karimjee
                      www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
                      The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

I lean to A&B myself. I thought it was actually a pretty good telling and explanation of characters, not only through Scott's eyes, but who they are and represent on the show its self. Which makes Rush's character all that much more interesting after this show. He spoke from a position of power and cryptically spoke with knowledge of something greater, a source of cold, but embracing truth.

Comment

I find the most interesting part is Young as the father.

We all know Scott thinks Young as a father, but he seems to mix Young with the priest who raised him. In the vision, Young is an alcoholic which actually is the priest. Young only drinks a bottle on Destiny, that's not enough, you simply cannot become one on Destiny, besides Scott doesn't know that.

Also he imagines Telford and Rush are the sheriff and the priest, the town authority, not Young. Telford and Rush are kind of two rivals to Young. Which remind me in Scott's life, his real father abandoned him, the priest who likes a father is an alcoholic. Maybe in Scott's mind "father" means nothing to him.
                          Last edited by SGeff; 01 November 2010, 07:56 AM.

Comment

i found this interesting too, perhaps it signifies the betrayal of his faith by the priest? As such he now relates to Young as his main source of guidance in life, who ironically is also turning to the bottle. Although Scott does not actually know this yet. Therefore, Young being an alcoholic both symbolizes Scott's association of 'father' with 'alcoholic', and the audiences continued understanding that Young is losing it.

"The greatest compliment that was ever paid me was when one asked me what I thought, and attended to my answer.” - Henry David Thoreau

sigpic

Comment

I think it was probably just a random vision/dream that the writers used to show his feelings about the crew. However, I'm also holding onto a theory that the dream was something created by the 'Planet Builders'. All interaction with people in his dream were with people on the ship (As other people). There were people I couldn't identify, but they were just figures. Just seemed like an odd coincidence. *shrug*

Comment

Working...
                              X