Is Destiny trying to kill the crew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eterno View Post
    The ancients were supposed to have boarded destiny not earth so the ship is probably going to planets it knows the ancients would have no problems with. The ancients probably would of had medicine to treat the infection and weapons to kill the plant/animal.
    There are much easier ways to kill people onboard Destiny, if the ship was sentient and could take over the controls.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
      There are much easier ways to kill people onboard Destiny, if the ship was sentient and could take over the controls.
      Sentient ship... control... hmmm....

Young: Rush what is it?
      Rush: Destiny, it's aliv....(convulses)
      Destiny: Assuming direct control.
      sigpic
      Doci of the BAG

Comment

Funnily enough I watched Event Horizon with a mate a few days ago...

I think I'll play devils advocate here and say that Destiny isn't trying to kill them. On the contrary, it's doing the best it can to keep them alive.

The deadly, deadly planets they've been visiting? That's all the mostly harmless real estate.

When Destiny locks a planet out you should damn well expect lovecraftian horrors to greet you at the threshold and say you've got a purdy mouth.

That being said, even Earth can be considered a Death World if looked at from the right perspective with a dash of bad timing and bad location. I have some American friends that flat out refuse to visit Australia on the basis of all the deadly wildlife.

In the meantime, twenty odd million people live here with only the occasional death because someone decided to see how far they could play knifey-spoony with a drop-bear.

TL;DR - Destiny is keeping them alive. The planets they're visiting are the safe ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Razor One View Post
          Funnily enough I watched Event Horizon with a mate a few days ago...

I think I'll play devils advocate here and say that Destiny isn't trying to kill them. On the contrary, it's doing the best it can to keep them alive.

The deadly, deadly planets they've been visiting? That's all the mostly harmless real estate.

When Destiny locks a planet out you should damn well expect lovecraftian horrors to greet you at the threshold and say you've got a purdy mouth.

That being said, even Earth can be considered a Death World if looked at from the right perspective with a dash of bad timing and bad location. I have some American friends that flat out refuse to visit Australia on the basis of all the deadly wildlife.

In the meantime, twenty odd million people live here with only the occasional death because someone decided to see how far they could play knifey-spoony with a drop-bear.

TL;DR - Destiny is keeping them alive. The planets they're visiting are the safe ones.
          I agree that Destiny is trying to keep them alive and I'll go a step beyond that and say that it is actively watching out for them and that that might be one of the purposes of the kinos. The ship seems to be offering up what they need, when they need it and the times it's gone astray has been when the people on board have made a concerted effort to go against that.
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
            I agree that Destiny is trying to keep them alive and I'll go a step beyond that and say that it is actively watching out for them and that that might be one of the purposes of the kinos. The ship seems to be offering up what they need, when they need it and the times it's gone astray has been when the people on board have made a concerted effort to go against that.
            You can't really say that, considering the WATER and TIME planets killed them. Twice.

Given that, the ship is no better nor worse than a normal human making a decision to go to a planet. When I made this thread, it was tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at those who feel Rush killed Riley. I mean, if you're gonna believe that, then you have to believe Destiny is equally guilty in stopping at planets that have what they need, but yet contain danger, some of which has led to deaths.

The reason Destiny stops at certain planets, and the danger therein, is identical to the one Rush stopped at. You either accept that getting what you need comes with risk, or you naively believe everything is safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiphantom View Post
              You can't really say that, considering the WATER and TIME planets killed them. Twice.

Given that, the ship is no better nor worse than a normal human making a decision to go to a planet. When I made this thread, it was tongue-in-cheek, poking fun at those who feel Rush killed Riley. I mean, if you're gonna believe that, then you have to believe Destiny is equally guilty in stopping at planets that have what they need, but yet contain danger, some of which has led to deaths.

The reason Destiny stops at certain planets, and the danger therein, is identical to the one Rush stopped at. You either accept that getting what you need comes with risk, or you naively believe everything is safe.
              On the contrary, I CAN really say that and, in fact, I did

They needed the water, even if it was scary water, and Destiny sent them to a world after that to cure the water problem.
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                Under all that ancient computer stuff, it's actually running Windows Vista!
                NOW THAT is terrifying!

Event Horizon is for Babies!
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                  On the contrary, I CAN really say that and, in fact, I did

They needed the water, even if it was scary water, and Destiny sent them to a world after that to cure the water problem.
                  So, you agree, then. They needed food and they were sent to a world after that to cure the food problem. =)

(although the water planet didn't quite cure things, as they didn't get very much; they are just recycling the water they have very carefully)

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow_7 View Post
                    Plus the two with super healing powers. Destiny is going to have to implode before it's too late.
                    who's the second?
                    An Axe age, A Sword age, Shields are sundered,
                    A Wind age, A Wolf age, Ere the World falls,
                    And no Man shall spare Another.

Driving fast has never killed anyone. Suddenly coming to a halt, that has killed many, many people

The Pope, an Irishman and an Italian are walking down a street, when one of them says "Hey look guys! A bar!"

Comment

Working...
                    X