Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can Chloe donate blood to Scott ??!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This bothered me too.
    I'm just going to assume that they both happened to have the exact same blood type.

Comment

For once, I agree with Jel. It was incredibly stupid, but then again, TV shows have never been smart when it comes to science, and that includes medicine. You just have to chalk it up to Chloe and Scott getting INCREDIBLY lucky. Sometimes the luck swings bad (and Riley dies), and sometimes it swings good (and a blood transfusion works).

Not to mention the other luck of the gate kawooshing at the exact right moment the alien plant surged forward to strike at them, hehe.

Comment

I figured either:

(1) Scott is AB+ (universal recipient)
        (2) Chloe is O- (universal donor)
        (3) They have other blood types, but they match (both are A-, for example)
        or
        (my favorite)
        (4) Blue Alien blood makes everything better

Really, is this any worse than all the other bad biology we see in science fiction TV shows every day? My favorite is when giving someone some random injection of DNA changes their phenotype. And then they get "cured" by being given some more random DNA.
        sigpic
        Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          You just have to ignore it. Stargate (and a lot of TV shows for that matter) has always been terrible when it comes to medicine.
          Science in general.

Comment

So many good answers on this one! It´s just something we have to use our imagination and inner logic, I think SciFi fan´s have both.
            sigpic

Comment

Scott and Chloe are actually long lost brother and sister...

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
                I also have a theory. No one in the writing staff stopped to think about this.
                Believability was sacrificed for a resolution to the plot.

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                I'm sure that one of the things TJ's done in the 9 - 10 months they've been aboard Destiny is check everyone's blood types so she knows whose blood she can use if transfusions are necessary.
                What kind of equipment is needed to type blood? Did they actually bring something like that with them in the rush to get off Icarus. She's a med tech, right? Would she even know how to do this?
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                  What kind of equipment is needed to type blood? Did they actually bring something like that with them in the rush to get off Icarus. She's a med tech, right? Would she even know how to do this?
                  That part isn't unrealistic - there are easy kits for doing preliminary typing (ABO, RH, etc.) that we use in biology labs, so yeah, TJ can do if my biology undergrads can do it. She is a heck of lot more capable than the lot of them, I'm sure!

Edited to add:
                  Here is a home kit you can buy for $9.50
                  http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Type-Eld.../dp/B000FV1K26

The ones we use in bio lab are a bit more advanced than this, but not much. A card, a lancet, some wipes, there you have it. The antigens for the reaction are bonded to the card. You could carry a hundred of these in a very small space, and type everyone on Destiny in 1/2 hour or so.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                    I'm sure that one of the things TJ's done in the 9 - 10 months they've been aboard Destiny is check everyone's blood types so she knows whose blood she can use if transfusions are necessary.
                    I doubt she would have had the proper tests to do that.

Comment

Military dogtags have, besides the name of the military officer, basic medical information including BLOOD TYPE of the respective person. Even if Chloe doesn't know her blood type, TJ would, being the ship's medic (with the info provided via stones).
                      Mystery solved
                      Last edited by SGSargon; 27 October 2010, 10:01 AM. Reason: grammar
                      It's all about startegy. Out-maneuvering the opposition, bending him to your will.
                      -Dexter-

Comment

38% of Americans are O+ (universal donor) so the odds aren't too bad from that angle.

That being said, he wasn't really getting a blood transfusion as much as he was getting some kind of vaccine or antibody from Chloe's blood that could fight the organism killing him. If she was giving him a liter of blood it would be a little different.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
                          I doubt she would have had the proper tests to do that.
                          See my post right above yours. Easy enough.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SGSargon View Post
                            Military dogtags have, besides the name of the military officer, basic medical information including BLOOD TYPE of the respective person. Even if Chloe doesn't know her blood type, TJ would, being the ship's medic (with the info provided via stones).
                            Mystery solved
                            The civvies don't have dogtags, but they'd have copies of their medical records back on Earth.

Well, you'd need to have a good memory to remember everyone's blood type long enough to transfer to your body to write it down (unless they did rapid-switching relays i.e. Dr. Lee remembers Chloe's blood type, activates stone, writes it on Destiny while Scott is in his body on Earth reading Eli's blood type)

Comment

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
                              Scott and Chloe are actually long lost brother and sister...
                              If they weren't before, they are now, thanks to having the same alien blood...
                              "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                              Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                              Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                              Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                              Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Gatz View Post
                                I also have a theory. No one in the writing staff stopped to think about this.

I,m gonna go with that one!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X