Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zenophite writes: “I’m not sure if anyone has asked this yet but regarding Dr. Caine… He lived long enough to see the aliens arrival so did he in fact die the moment they got there (or soon thereafter) or is there something else going on?”

Answer: He was at the brink of death when they showed up – too late to save him.
    http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...other-mailbag/
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Not quite as good as Malice but IMO still a pretty decent effort. I wasn't impressed by the religious arguments either, even though I adore the mystery. I just wonder if the aliens who supposedly left the pre-Big Bang message are the same as those who temporarily reanimated the people left on the planet?
      sigpic

Comment

Didn't like it, near the bottom of best episodes this season.

Notes:
        • I like to think the aliens responsible, are ones we've encountered before (not just SGU, but maybe a race from SG-1 or SGA)
        • Yay, we got a new shuttle
        • I saw that redhead again
        • I still don't understand the whole "Balding Asian Guy is such a badass" thing

Tomorrow, a pretty epic midseason finale (and the last one of this campaign)
        sigpic

Comment

I'm going to do something a bit different here.

Our episode is so much better than your episode, just look at the amount of fans that love us.

Our episode is more insightful than yours.

Really? well we're a mysterious group of people who believe in a higher power and we're suddenly onboard the Destiny.

But we're machines and we have arguments about the biological nature of the human brain.

Oh yeah, well we have dramatic comments about the soul, inspired by the works of Shakesphere! Which you don't have.

We have explosions and a sense of purpose.

We have a girls face bleeding out suddenly and unexpectedly.

Well... Well... We have a resurrection of Weir.

Face it. "Visitation" is so much better than "This Mortal Coil".

You can't even compare to our faith based dialog and deeper dramatic elements.

He's right... I mean just look at us, they're basically complaining about us for having illogical elements such as us not using the right ship. Them, they're being praised for providing a deep look and looking into the belief of faith. There's no way we can't compare!

Hey, at least we're by your side. The faithful replicas of the Atlantis crew. And at least we're not dead.

Actually, the death of those people is the most praised element of the episode.

Oh come on!

Some other notes: TJ's pregnancy plot finally comes to some benefit as the acting from her character is considerably stepped up. The mystery was decent but I felt like there could of been more explination on those people and their various lives, just to enhance the connection (just imagine what these people been through) and the conflict with Chloe is beginning to brew up; Scott and Greer's scene really represent the rising tension though through both sides. Scott the compassionate one, Greer the "lock em up and throw away the key" one.
          Back from the grave.

Comment

Midweek, another ep of SGU...

1. This was another one where Rewatching felt a bit flat...I mean
            Spoiler:
            We know Chloe comes out OK

2. This is the one with the "butter bar LT" line. I chatted about this line with some RL friends once who said that this was actually a realistic portryal of military relationships yet from a Gater's POV it's a strange one.

3. "Eli has a big mouth"

4. Score one for the aliens, presume they were responsible for TJ's vision as well.

OK ep.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

One of the weirder Stargate episodes, this one. The whole concept of reanimation of dead humans by a race of 'Dr Frankensteins' is just bizarre!

What makes us human, is it a soul? What lesson was watching people dying again in the manner they died in the first place supposed to teach those on Destiny? Was it an alien race's experiment, an effort to understand what humans are?

One of the more inventive ways to get a working shuttle again! Delivered to their doorstep beautifully restored, very nice of the aliens. Makes you wonder though if it too will revert to its former state at some point at a very inopportune moment!

And B.A.G comes back of course! Was even written into the episode with Rush's line about why the people weren't restored to perfection like the shuttle; "I mean, Norris wasn't born with astigmatism, was he? Mr. Chan surely had a full head of hair at one time. All of you have enormous gaps in your memory."

This was due to the fun and silliness on the "Balding Asian Guy" thread on Gateworld and obviously picked up on by the writers. I thought that was funny and a nice touch to see that those involved in Stargate really did take note of what fans were discussing. It's these kinds of things that make being a Stargate fan extra fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                What makes us human, is it a soul? What lesson was watching people dying again in the manner they died in the first place supposed to teach those on Destiny? Was it an alien race's experiment, an effort to understand what humans are?
                This is what "This Mortal Coil" did and I honestly thought they did it better; in that episode, they make the argument that the body is just a bunch of connections and components, which it is. Our brain is basically a component in itself though the prime component that makes everything work.

In that episode though, they were trying to gain a soul by watching how they operated, analyzing the slight quirks in behaivor and responses in regards to action whether emotional or routine. It was interesting because it was machines trying to learn how to be human in order to ascend.

This episode has much of their consciousnesses in prime condition with the emotional response intact. In fact... You could say they were themselves but without the memory. The soul thing is an interesting argument but then again, it didn't really reflect on the human body as a whole. In fact it didn't reflect on the human body at all, just the fact that the people were alive.

The people behind the episode have to ask themselves, what really lies behind the soul. Is it a part of our subconscious that releases the hormones that our conscious feels, is it the pathways that we form in birth, is it the general perception of what we see that our brain transpires. The brain is the most complex thing in the body and we still don't understand it; we don't even understand how to transfer our brains from one body to another and we don't understand how a unique personality can form from growth.

This was what I was trying to make in the pictures, I feel like "This Mortal Coil" is underrated mainly because it aired where people were nitpicking about things like "episodes only existing to bring an important plot device", "characters which serve to bring important plot points", "ships not being used properly", "gimmicks such as the Atlantis crew meeting the others" and "not enough Action". While the two do share certain similarities, I don't think Visitation is that good as an episode exploring a moral argument, if it had focused more on the people on the planet maybe but all it's doing is just trying to make a metaphorically philosophical Shakespeare argument out of the resurrection of the people on the planet, a soul is one thing but a soul has to mean something within the perception of human bodies.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Average ep.

A pretty weird ep as well. Who is it that has so much power? Aliens? The Ancients? God?

The newly repaired shuttle is nice and pretty.

Greer was just plain weird in this ep.

Knowing you're already dead. Must be a weird feeling.
                  sigpic

Comment

What sells Visitation is what sold us on Faith. Faith asked us about the existence of a higher power and the belief of such a higher. It put stock in believing someone is watching us and what extent we as a people should go in putting belief in others to help us. If that is what Faith asked us Visitation shows us the consquences and reward of blind faith. We see their blind faith was a death sentence. The aliens had good intentions but we learned all the humans died a tragic and slow death of freezing. I wonder why the Faith aliens allowed everyone to experence these death over again. Just like Faith we have unanswered questions. We learn it was wrong to put trust in the aliens as we see Kaine and the others die. But why did the Faith aliens resurrect Kaine and the others? What were they trying to achieve? Where were they? Just like Faith, Visitation asks these philosphical questions about belief and what extent people go to believe in something better than themselves. Its kind of tragic seeing Kaine die. Its equally sad for us to never get answers about the Faith aliens. Thnk you cancallation
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

More questions, no answers.

"To be decided" later i guess. One magic shuttle fixed, there you go...

The edge of the universe. Now that's pretty interesting. I think it was badly executed though.

So this is not my favorite episode...

Comment

I liked this episode except for the way people were dying. Having things still be a mystery was cool by me. I can see it being impossible to figure out the motivations of aliens.

I liked the Greer Chloe moment but still not digging Alien Chloe. I find it odd that they would assume she was a threat after turning fully alien. Sure that is likely but it is also possible she might gain control of herself and be useful.

Comment

Working...
                        X