All Dogs Go to Heaven (608)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Dogs Go to Heaven (608)

IT’S A DOG’S LIFE — Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) investigate what seems to be a werewolf killing but turns out to be a skinwalker (guest star Andrew Rothenberg) posing as a family dog who is taking revenge on his owner’s enemies. After capturing the dog, he turns human and tells Sam and Dean that an Alpha skinwalker has created many sleeper cells that will rise on his command and kill their families.. The only way to stop the mass murders is to find and kill the Alpha. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Adam Glass
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

As a dog lover, of course this eppie meant a lot to me. I found interesting that Dean identified with the creature for its/his relationship with the family, again a single mother with a son. We also got a measure of who Sam now is: he may have all of Sam's memories but not the emotional ability to connect with people or let his memories affect his decisions. Which makes him a more efficient hunter, by not being hindered by emotions. And Dean becomes Crowley servant, to be able to get the Sam he cares about back. Which was probably his grandfather's motivation as well.
    My favourite lines were Crowley's " give Bobby a kiss for me" and Dean's " I am am getting cirrhosis just for watching this."

It was sad for me to see the dog fade out, in a random course along a road, as any other stray.
    sigpic
    Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
    Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Really enjoyed this ep. Cool that is was a new "monster" we've never seen but only mentioned in the past.

And I like the mystery behind whatever this is building to with the "sleeper cells" and the deal with the other monsters increasing in number.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
        As a dog lover, of course this eppie meant a lot to me. I found interesting that Dean identified with the creature for its/his relationship with the family, again a single mother with a son. We also got a measure of who Sam now is: he may have all of Sam's memories but not the emotional ability to connect with people or let his memories affect his decisions. Which makes him a more efficient hunter, by not being hindered by emotions. And Dean becomes Crowley servant, to be able to get the Sam he cares about back. Which was probably his grandfather's motivation as well.
        My favourite lines were Crowley's " give Bobby a kiss for me" and Dean's " I am am getting cirrhosis just for watching this."

It was sad for me to see the dog fade out, in a random course along a road, as any other stray.
        Oh, I´m with you on this. I really liked the "dog".

Sam´s god-honest-truth speech at the end was quite harsh, but at least the boys are making headway now.

Really like this season thus far.

Check out this amazing vid by SGAFan on YouTube Joe IS Rockford!
        picfic craziness against boredom: Col.Sheppard & the nutty whumpers

Comment

Actually D&D calls them wolfweres, the opposite of werewolves.

A skinwalker actually comes from Native American mythology in which a person can turn into any animal they want to, but must have a pelt of the animal in order to do so.

For example, the Navajo call them yee naaldlooshii. And diffe3rent tribes have different names and ceremonies for this.

Comment

All the recaps and reviews I've read so far have said that this was the weakest episode. While I agree it doesn't have the same weight as the others, I think it has strong points and is a good push off point for other episodes.

Like, now we know Sam frankly doesn't care about people, and he's even starting to not act right. Like before, I think he was behaving like he knew he was supposed to, even though he didn't feel anything. Now he doesn't seem to care, like when they were talking to that cop on the dock and he said something like 'answer the questions of mouth-breathing' something or others.

And we know the vamps aren't the only ones building up an army. Got me to thinking that maybe the monsters are preparing for some kind of offensive (or defensive) action against Crowley or others. And I'd also like to know why the monsters are no longer sticking to their 'profile'. Seems like the vamps were the only ones acting remotely along the lines of how they usually do, even though they were turning instead of feeding. And something like the werewolf changing on the off-cycle. That doesn't seem to be something they can control, so big things must be afoot for them to go wacky.

And I think that speech by Sam at the end may be the best situation for them. They couldn't work together when Dean knew something was wrong with Sam, and there was just something wrong with their relationship in the last few eps when Sam was trying to convince Dean that he was the same guy, but just couldn't feel anything. Now everything seems to be out in the open. Dean knows Sam has no emotion, so he'll be able to incorporate that into future jobs and what he allows Sam to do. Sam knows he can't continue living without his soul, even if it makes doing the job and losing people along the way emotionally easier.

And it was nice to have a new monster. And I did like 'Lucky'. I think that if the boys can reach out to some of the things they come across in this new master monster plan, they may be able to foil alphas' plans from the inside. I did honestly feel bad for the guy (?) in the warehouse when he knew his cover would have to fall. And then watching him walk away as a dog, so sad. He's right back where he started, although he probably would've been better off as a person. Unless he could find a new family and just be their pet.
            sigpic

Comment

Was I the only one really wishing that one of the Skinwalker pack was going to turn into a Yorkshire Terrier and attack Dean?

Also I have to say that as a dog lover I so want an Alsation like Lucky.........just minus the whole creepy talking into a human bit.
              Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Yeah, the German Shepherd used to be my 2nd favorite dog. I'm not so sure of that anymore.
                sigpic

Comment

Really good episode. This has been a really great season thus far. In a way, I kind of felt bad for Lucky in the end.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
                    Yeah, the German Shepherd used to be my 2nd favorite dog. I'm not so sure of that anymore.
                    We had a German Shepherd named Anka when I was a kid and teenager, she looked a lot like Lucky and was such a nice girl and had a great character. I know that that isn't normally the case with this breed, but she was.

So, towards the episode. I also read that the reception of this episode was generally more on the negative side, and I can't really understand that. It wasn't one of the bigger ones, that's for sure, bit in my opinion it was a solid episode with a new monster, a really sympathetic "baddie" (who, for a change, was allowed to survive the episode!).

What we gained for the bigger story arch was a solution for Sammys severe soullessness - as long as Crowley is willing to keep his side of the job offer. And we have Robo!Sam admitting to tell Dean, how he feels about this. Namely not at all. That scene was very good, because Dean transmitted everything I felt without saying much.

So, the episode itself had nearly everything I need in SPN, some heartwrenching, some good fight, some very pretty scenes with Sniper!Dean (and his funny struggle to get that rifle out of the grid). There were also some really, really funny lines and references.

To be honest, I haven't really read any negative comments on the episode despite the one from EW, I just heard about them, and the EW reviewer must clearly have watched a different episode, because I didn't find this episode boring at all.

I also clearly have to disagree on her point about Dean and Lisa. Dean has been building up a new life with Lisa for a whole year, and despite that, under the influence of Veritas, he had to admit for himself that he might be more a hunter than a father, he clearly cares a lot about them, and I think that he either needs an un-influenced cut or going back to a status quo which does not come with bad feelings and suffering (and I think the idea of Lisas home being a home when needed wasn't the worst one).
                    The cake is a lie!

Comment

Wow, I didn't even know, we had a SN board here. So hi at everyone here and here are my 2 cetns:

Imo this was a very weak episode. Skinwalkers are pretty much the lamest monster ever, I mean there were like six of those guys and the brothers killed them off without problems. Changing into dogs is a pretty lame power to being with but I think it could be salvaged with proper execution.

Now to main plot and the relationship between Sam & Dean. Despite the gaping plot hole sthat have bugged me since the last weeks' episode (why does Crowley want purgatory so badly? Why should alpha monsters know where it is? How can he get the body and soul of Lucifer's vessel out of the cage when Azazael and Lilith (probably the former King/Queen of Hell) had to follow an insanely complicated plan to free Lucifer? Why does Crowley need hunters to catch monters for him?), I was kinda okay with the main plot at the beginning of the episode but the longer I watched the more I realized how stupid this whole plan is.

Why do they play along? Why don't they just ask Cas where this dammed Purgoratry is? Why don't they whip out the Knife or the Colt and kill Crowley? And what is the deal with Sam? Okay, he is supposed to be ruthless now, fine, I get it and that would be great if executed properly. But then why isn't he acting like it? Where are the plans he could hatch now to get his soul back? Think of Rush in SGU who is arguably as ruthless and is always scheming. Can't Sam come up with a better plan than 'play along with the plan of a lying, cheating demon'?

Oh and how can Sam still be a hunter, if he has problems reading people? That's more from last episodes but it still bugs me. He has to act/lie/bluff all the time on the job, how does he do this, if he can't read people properly?

Can't we just go back to the civil war in heaven and forget about this plot? Or get a real new plot instead of just leftovers from previous seasons?
                      In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

Originally posted by Jaemal View Post
                        Wow, I didn't even know, we had a SN board here. So hi at everyone here and here are my 2 cetns:
                        Hi Jaemal!

Imo this was a very weak episode. Skinwalkers are pretty much the lamest monster ever, I mean there were like six of those guys and the brothers killed them off without problems. Changing into dogs is a pretty lame power to being with but I think it could be salvaged with proper execution.
                        I agree that this wasn't one of the strongest episodes, but I don't consider it as weak at all. But that is personal reception

The brothers killed them off with a sniper rifle a lot of guns and the advantage of surprise. I had no problem with the skinwalkers. They don't just turn into normal dogs. Those normally don't jump through windshields or kill a grown-up in seconds.

Now to main plot and the relationship between Sam & Dean. Despite the gaping plot hole sthat have bugged me since the last weeks' episode (why does Crowley want purgatory so badly? Why should alpha monsters know where it is? How can he get the body and soul of Lucifer's vessel out of the cage when Azazael and Lilith (probably the former King/Queen of Hell) had to follow an insanely complicated plan to free Lucifer? Why does Crowley need hunters to catch monters for him?), I was kinda okay with the main plot at the beginning of the episode but the longer I watched the more I realized how stupid this whole plan is.
                        I don't think that there is a plothole, just some stuff which hasn't been explained yet. Crowley said, that he wants Purgatory as real estate. I guess he wants it, because it might be a nice place than hell to reign. Alpha monsters are clearly above all the other monsters, and maybe killing one gives the lead into Purgatory, who knows?
                        Lucifer didn't have his vessel when he was in the cage, so he didn't need it. There are for sure other rules to get a human out of the cage than getting the creature the cage was designed for out of it. Just think of all the demon-binding stuff we had - lots of them have no effects on humans. Just think about getting a mouse out of a cage made for an elephant.

Why do they play along? Why don't they just ask Cas where this dammed Purgoratry is? Why don't they whip out the Knife or the Colt and kill Crowley? And what is the deal with Sam? Okay, he is supposed to be ruthless now, fine, I get it and that would be great if executed properly. But then why isn't he acting like it? Where are the plans he could hatch now to get his soul back? Think of Rush in SGU who is arguably as ruthless and is always scheming. Can't Sam come up with a better plan than 'play along with the plan of a lying, cheating demon'?
                        Like Sam said: Crowley has them on the short and curlies. Kill Crowley and Sams soul is gone. Cas already offered his help, but said at the same time, that he has no idea how to help Sam, and I guess that also means, that he is either unwilling or unable to tell Crowley where Purgatory is.
                        Also, in my opinion, Sam is acting exactly right. He IS ruthless, he let his Brother turn into a Vampire, he risked the life of people he should care about. He also knows, that he can't follow his will alone and has to think about consequences, should he ever want to get his soul back (and as he stated: that might be a good idea).
                        I don't see why he should be able to find other ways to get his soul back when he didn't know that his soul was missing until last episode.
                        The brothers are playing along for exactly one episode now. Should there be a better way we'll find it out.

Oh and how can Sam still be a hunter, if he has problems reading people? That's more from last episodes but it still bugs me. He has to act/lie/bluff all the time on the job, how does he do this, if he can't read people properly?
                        Sam has no problem reading people. He just reads them different and he can't anticipate reactions which come from emotions. Last episode he knew exactly that the sister of the suicidal girl was lying because he wasn't bothered by her emotions.

Can't we just go back to the civil war in heaven and forget about this plot? Or get a real new plot instead of just leftovers from previous seasons?
                        I guess we will find out about the civil war soon enough - or in the second half of the season, with getting Sams soul back as the goal before the seasons break.
                        Last edited by iolanda; 14 November 2010, 01:46 PM.
                        The cake is a lie!

Comment

Originally posted by iolanda View Post

(...)

The brothers killed them off with a sniper rifle a lot of guns and the advantage of surprise. I had no problem with the skinwalkers. They don't just turn into normal dogs. Those normally don't jump through windshields or kill a grown-up in seconds.
                          I must admit, I actually didn't notice they were stronger than normal dogs while watching the episode. In hindsight it is obvious but it totally slipped me by.

I don't think that there is a plothole, just some stuff which hasn't been explained yet. Crowley said, that he wants Purgatory as real estate. I guess he wants it, because it might be a nice place than hell to reign. Alpha monsters are clearly above all the other monsters, and maybe killing one gives the lead into Purgatory, who knows?
                          That Crowley wants Purgatory is fair enough but the way he wants to get it is quite strange. According to the Vampire Alpha in the last ep, monsters like Vampires go there after they die and this is why Crowley wants to ask them. Now, this leads to the question how living monsters would know what happens to them in the afterlife and how they could possibly know where Purgatory is (after all humans don't know where Heaven & Hell are). Besides, I always thought Purgatory was for the people who aren't good enough for Heaven but not bad enough for Hell (at least that is what I remember, I am not Catholic so I might be wrong) and this doesn't really fit with putting monsters there.

Lucifer didn't have his vessel when he was in the cage, so he didn't need it. There are for sure other rules to get a human out of the cage than getting the creature the cage was designed for out of it. Just think of all the demon-binding stuff we had - lots of them have no effects on humans. Just think about getting a mouse out of a cage made for an elephant.
                          Ok, that makes sense. Hmm, I wonder if Luzifer and Michael automatically left their vessels when they were put back in the Cage. If yes, it would be quite easy to slip Sam out without Luzifer attached. Maybe that is the way the writers are setting it up.

Like Sam said: Crowley has them on the short and curlies. Kill Crowley and Sams soul is gone. Cas already offered his help, but said at the same time, that he has no idea how to help Sam, and I guess that also means, that he is either unwilling or unable to tell Crowley where Purgatory is.
                          Fair enough, like you said, it has been one episode. It might be a little anti-climatic, if they had a perfect plan already. I am not sure Cas already knows they are searching Purgatory, I think he left before this was revealed. Anyway, asking him would be a great idea, especially considering Crowley's track record of breaking deals.

Also, in my opinion, Sam is acting exactly right. He IS ruthless, he let his Brother turn into a Vampire, he risked the life of people he should care about. He also knows, that he can't follow his will alone and has to think about consequences, should he ever want to get his soul back (and as he stated: that might be a good idea).
                          I don't see why he should be able to find other ways to get his soul back when he didn't know that his soul was missing until last episode.
                          The brothers are playing along for exactly one episode now. Should there be a better way we'll find it out.
                          Ok, maybe I should just give it time.

Sam has no problem reading people. He just reads them different and he can't anticipate reactions which come from emotions. Last episode he knew exactly that the sister of the suicidal girl was lying because he wasn't bothered by her emotions.
                          I think, Sam isn't really consistent here. He didn't realize Samuel was acting strange which he really should have (if he can see through the lies of other people, he should see through his). The only explanation I have for this slip is that he blindly trust family right now but this doesn't really fit to his treatment of Dean. His answer to the policeman in this episode seemed strange as well. It sounded rather annoyed to me which seems out of place, considering Sam has no emotions at the moment.

I guess we will find out about the civil war soon enough - or in the second half of the season, with getting Sams soul back as the goal before the seasons break.
                          I hope so. My main problem with Season 6 is that we don't really get a new arc. It is more like an epilogue cleaning up things that are left more or less unresolved (Bobby's deal with Crowley, Sam's return, Samuel as a whole is a relic from a former time). I think it would have been more elegant to introduce a completely new Big Bad (maybe Samael) and work things from there. It would make the season feel fresher and rounder. Currently, some eps like "The Third Man" feel like season 5 to me and don't really connect well to the ones featuring the Sam's soul arc.

But now something positive about the ep (you just can't complain all the time): Crowley was awesome as always and there were no Campells . Besides Lucky was a cute dog (and I don't even really like dogs)
                          In the darkness of night we hear the whispers of the void

Comment

As to the Purgatory discussion, I see it as plot convenience that they are having to do all this work to find it. It's driving the story along so I just roll with it. I bet the brothers get around to asking Cas, and he probably won't know either. How Alphas are supposed to know doesn't make much sense, but I assume the writers will tell us eventually.

But as to why Crowley wants it, I have no doubt he wants it for the souls that reside there. He already commented, last season I believe, that souls were a hot commodity. Their value is quite high so he's looking for more...to do whatever it is he does with them.

Why would monsters go there? They have souls, so they have to go somewhere. Maybe Purgatory is where monsters originated from and that's why the Alphas know where it is.

I agree that this season is helping to clean up last season, but it had to. Last season wasn't wrapped up in a nice bow and had lots of loose ends. But I do think it has some arcs of its own...like the deal with the massive uprising of monsters. That's building to something.

Welcome to the board, Jaemal.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                              Really good episode. This has been a really great season thus far. In a way, I kind of felt bad for Lucky in the end.
                              Yeah...I felt sorry for Lucky in the end as well.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X