X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That display

Y'know?

this one.

It looks far too advanced in contrast to the rest of the ship.

I like it, it looks sleek, but too sleek. It doesn't belong there. That rust bucket shouldn't be producing holo-screens outta thin air like that. It just doesn't sit right in my stomach...It just doesn't feel right, y'know? It's too far ahead of its time. Maybe they could find some use for it in a few million years, like the HUD of a gateship of some kind...
    We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
    —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
    —Ricky Gervais

do i need to remind you that's the same ships that constantly flies into a star
    sigpic
    Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
    StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
    GW member infractions : 1

Comment

Originally posted by webxro View Post
      do i need to remind you that's the same ships that constantly flies into a star
      We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, through argument and debate, but, most of all, freedom of will.
      —Alteran Woman

"It annoys me that the burden of proof is on us. It should be 'You came up with the idea, why do you believe it?' I could tell you I've got superpowers, but I can't go up to people saying 'Prove I can't fly' They'd say "What do you mean 'prove you can't fly?' Prove you can!"
      —Ricky Gervais

Comment

It's the same display!

I meant something a little more...primitive, for lack of a better word. Something that looks older than that thing. I understand "If it works well, why replace it" but come on...it just...ugh. It looks too nice. The rest of the ship is crumbling, and here's this convenient crystal-clear holo-screen.
        —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

it's not the same , take a closer look , maybe is a older version but defiantly not the same
          sigpic
          Stargate Mods List

Comment

it's not the same , take a closer look , maybe is a older version but defiantly not the same

Care to elaborate?
            —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

they may have created holographic technology very early on and just kept it all this time, it really doesnt seem out of place.

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                they may have created holographic technology very early on and just kept it all this time,
                I can understand that. Strange, but acceptable.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
                it really doesnt seem out of place.
                DOES TOO!

In a gateship it seems to fit right in, naturally. On Destiny, everything else looks so old and 'steampunk'ish by comparison to this fancy-lookin' holographic display.

≠1.6180339887!!
                —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Did you ever looked very closely to the controls of the puddlejumper they look very different just compare the one O'Neil used the first time to the one in a later series in Atlantis , in a tv series you will find discrepancies .

But look at modern day tech , we are inches close to holograms and we don't have FTL yet are you saying that the ancients didn't have holographic projectors when they build destiny ? If yes then you need to rethink .
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

Comment

Did you ever looked very closely to the controls of the puddlejumper they look very different just compare the one O'Neil used the first time to the one in a later series in Atlantis , in a tv series you will find discrepancies .

But look at modern day tech , we are inches close to holograms and we don't have FTL yet are you saying that the ancients didn't have holographic projectors when they build destiny ? If yes then you need to rethink .
                    Are we close to holographic tech? Awesome!
                    When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.-Arthur C. Clarke

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology -Carl Sagan

Comment

The rest of the ship is old and busted due to hull breaches. A hull breach in some random part of the ship can't affect a holo-projector that hasn't been used in thousands of years.

Personally, I think it fits perfectly with the ship, though, I don't know why the Ancients would need a holo-screen like that, since they already have screens everywhere.

Comment

Keep in mind that Destiny would have looked as good as the puddle jumper when it was launched. The rust, damage etc. accumulated for millions of years. She would have looked absolutely beautiful brand new. The ship is stunning even now. One thing that can't be damaged by age is the software and the light that forms the hologram.
                        Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3Q...eature=related

Did you ever looked very closely to the controls of the puddlejumper
                          That is irrelevant. I'm talking about the screen, not the gizmos around it.

they look very different just compare the one O'Neil used the first time to the one in a later series in Atlantis ,
                          No kidding? You're telling me the props designers changed their minds? woah...My mind. It has been blown.*

*massive amount of sarcasm.

in a tv series you will find discrepancies .
                          I know. This is one of them.

But look at modern day tech , we are inches close to holograms
                          Cite your [credible] sources, please.

I hope you're not talking about this.

and we don't have FTL yet
                          Well...actually....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Sure we can't do it yet, but that's only because we lack the necessary resources, logistics, and yada yada yada THE POINT IS WE KNOW HOW. At least we've gotten that far....

are you saying that the ancients didn't have holographic projectors when they build destiny ?
                          Wow. You totally don't get what I'm saying, do you? I accept the fact that they had holographic displays when they built Destiny, damn. What I'm saying is it looks too nice compared to the rest of the ship. Of course when they built Destiny it would have looked nicer than it does now, but that was then. This is now. It just looks too good. And whatever's projecting the hologram, why hasn't that been damaged or deteriorated over the ages?

If yes then you need to rethink .
                          I think you need to rethink your arguments.

Also, English isn't your first language, is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGk...eature=related
                          —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
                            Keep in mind that Destiny would have looked as good as the puddle jumper when it was launched.
                            State-of-the-art, of course. But that was then, this is now.

The rust, damage etc. accumulated for millions of years. She would have looked absolutely beautiful brand new. The ship is stunning even now.
                            Obviously, but Rust? On the inside, maybe, but there's no oxygen on the outside hull. I like to think that the dark brown tones they used was just part of the color scheme. It does look nice, whether it's rust or otherwise.

One thing that can't be damaged by age is the software and the light that forms the hologram.
                            Yes, obviously, but what about the projectors themselves that create the image. They've remained perfectly intact and unharmed over the ages?
                            —Alteran Woman

—Ricky Gervais

Comment

Originally posted by kernl sandrs View Post
                              Obviously, but Rust? On the inside, maybe, but there's no oxygen on the outside hull. I like to think that the dark brown tones they used was just part of the color scheme. It does look nice, whether it's rust or otherwise.
                              I agree, "rust" isn't the best possible term, I just used it out of convenience for a lack of something better. The trouble is - we don't know the chemical composition of the hull plating, paint, etc. so using a more specific term wouldn't have been correct either. In the presence of oxygen we have oxidation, in the presence of hydrogen (or other reducing chemicals) we have reduction. The various compounds inside the paint could also be reacting with one another causing further damage. Over such long periods (tens of millions of years) anything that isn't totally inert could cause some type of corrosion. We also have cosmic rays that might be slipping through the shield. Fact is - unless Eli finds some pictures in the database - we may never now how Destiny truly looked when it was launched. To put this in perspective - our paint inevitably changes its color over the period of just several years or months. We have no proof that Destiny's interior was even brown to begin with. Those lantern things - have shades of green in corroded areas.

Yes, obviously, but what about the projectors themselves that create the image. They've remained perfectly intact and unharmed over the ages?
                              As far as we know they were never used. They're also safely placed inside the ship.

Considering how reliable Ancient technology is the fact that they're operational is not surprising at all.

[about holograms]
                              Cite your [credible] sources, please.
                              We have had some hologram technology for several years actually, the trouble is the gear is huge and expensive, the images are tiny and the quality is bad. As far as sources you can google them yourself. This video is one of the first hits: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgm-_EiA62M
                              Last edited by Mike.; 24 October 2010, 09:55 AM.
                              Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Working...
                              X