This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the gateworld rules "selective"

OK, at this point I really don't care if I get modded, banned or whatever.(actually I do care, but some things are worth falling on your sword for) Gateworld supposedly has a policy against threats of violence to people yet of late at least 2 really nasty posts have remained unmodded and unaltered. Normally I would report such a post and be done with it, but as I know for FACT that not only the mods have had a chance to view these posts, but the site owner himself as well and have done NOTHING about them, I can only conclude that there are "different strokes for different folks"

The posts in question are:

<Snipped as per Mod protocol .>

Very PG15 and Friendly, totally in line with the "threats of violence" directive from Darren

Mods, I honestly expect this post to last for exactly 5 minutes, and I understand if you want to ban me for "not coming to the mods with my concerns" but in all honesty, going to the mods fails. I won't pretend to know why that is so, but it is. Is it the "protected Fans" of whatever show?, The posters with a "long history and post count?", I don't know and by this point, I don't really care, You guys make the rules, not me or any other poster, I just wish they were applied evenly to all.
    I'm guessing this is Goodbye Gateworld, I'm not happy about it because this can be such a truly great site to visit and discuss Sci/fi, but I cannot in good concience abide by the rules (or implementation) in thier current form.
    With All due respect and apreciation.

Gatefan1976
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 23 October 2010, 01:30 AM.
    sigpic
    ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
    A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
    The truth isn't the truth

The idea is, if you have a problem with a post you report it. Assuming the mods will see it because they have had 'time too' is a little, well, ridiculous.

In the end, I don't think they were serious threats of violence anyway. They were jokes that yes, were perhaps unfunny and some may take seriously, and you SHOULD have reported if you had issue with them... but what you may have missed is that there have been real threats of violence at times, and those are so much more disturbing.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
      The idea is, if you have a problem with a post you report it. Assuming the mods will see it because they have had 'time too' is a little, well, ridiculous.

In the end, I don't think they were serious threats of violence anyway. They were jokes that yes, were perhaps unfunny and some may take seriously, and you SHOULD have reported if you had issue with them... but what you may have missed is that there have been real threats of violence at times, and those are so much more disturbing.
      In addition right now Sky has said the mod notification system is down
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Ouch, that's gonna sting. That does make things difficult.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

I did not know that, I have also PM'ed Sky apologising for the post, but as I said, some things are worth falling on your sword for. I take no pleasure in writing stuff like that because unlike just having some "lighthearted mucking about" or "blowing steam", I honestly saw the stuff I commented on as just plain wrong.
          sigpic

Comment

and letting the world know let's the trolls run free. just my 2 cents
            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
              Trolls are going to troll regardless. You can still notify mods its just not as easy
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                I am not trying to be a "troll", This is just one issue I feel strongly about. I am all for a few laughs or taking the mickey out of something or someone, but direct threats, real or for fun are just wrong.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                  I did not know that, I have also PM'ed Sky apologising for the post, but as I said, some things are worth falling on your sword for. I take no pleasure in writing stuff like that because unlike just having some "lighthearted mucking about" or "blowing steam", I honestly saw the stuff I commented on as just plain wrong.
                  And that's fine, but you could have just reported them when you saw them rather than writing this entire post... seriously, it's that simple. IF it broke board rules, the posts and perhaps the poster would have been dealt with. Now you've just intentionally put yourself in the position of breaking board rules.

Comment

Trolls are going to troll regardless. You can still notify mods its just not as easy
                    I PM'ed Sky myself to apologise for being outspoken, what else do you want?? I used the only avenue I know of to say sorry, but I do feel strongly on the issue and will wear whatever consequences come my way. Sorry for having the integrity for feeling the need to comment on what I felt was a unfair situation.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil View Post
                      And that's fine, but you could have just reported them when you saw them rather than writing this entire post... seriously, it's that simple. IF it broke board rules, the posts and perhaps the poster would have been dealt with. Now you've just intentionally put yourself in the position of breaking board rules.
                      Yes I have, because after visits from Sky and Darren the posts still exist. As I said, there are some things worth falling on your sword for.
                      sigpic

Comment

I PM'ed Sky myself to apologise for being outspoken, what else do you want?? I used the only avenue I know of to say sorry, but I do feel strongly on the issue and will wear whatever consequences come my way. Sorry for having the integrity for feeling the need to comment on what I felt was a unfair situation.
                        I was never calling you a troll.
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Yes I have, because after visits from Sky and Darren the posts still exist. As I said, there are some things worth falling on your sword for.
                          And do you know for a fact they saw the posts? Do you know why they were there or what they were doing in the thread?

You are jumping to conclusions. I understand you are upset, but in the end just because you feel something is 'threatening' doesn't mean it's actually a threat. Even legally this is the case. I just think that this post hasn't helped the situation at all. Instead of drawing attention to what you feel may be the problem, which is valid and could have been addressed in one of the mod threads, you have just drawn attention to yourself.

That doesn't help much.

Comment

I was never calling you a troll.
                            Thank you
                            sigpic

Comment

I think GW has had a lot of double standards of late, whether people like to believe it or not.

I'm sure even a threat/insult to a cast member as a joke will not be acceptable.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X