Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's going on with SGU in this episode ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this episode was one MAJOR bummer! Nothing, absolutely nothing interesting happened in this episode. So many things ruined it for me:

- Those stupid stones! Young: 'Eli, grab a stone, visit your Mom'. For crying out loud, it ruins the whole 'lost-in-space'-theme of the show. Give us the backstory by flashbacks, kinda like Lost, and keep them REALLY lost in space. Get rid of the stones, quickly!
    - The Earth-based stories: show us the characters associated with the crew and show us their pain of missing their loved ones. That makes me care more. Where is the real drama if they can just use the stupid stones and go home? Like in the episode 'Life' the stones-stories absorb too much time of unknown-galaxy-awesomeness and are generally very boring too watch. Like with 'Life' this episode was just too boring to watch, no suprise the viewing numbers plummeted.
    - The main story: it doesn't get enough attention! We want too see the unknown universes and all the wonders the destiny has to offer. Instead we get entire episodes of useless stone-action and endless quarreling about the Lucian Alliance stuff. Just like Voyager did with the Maquis we all know they will become close friends in a matter of a few episodes.
    - Humor and adventure: absolutely absent.
    - Original ideas: the entire premise is a mix of Voyager and BSG, 2 shows each with their flaws but so much more compelling to watch.

I must point out that i do love the premise of SGU and it had good episodes like Air, Time, Space and last weeks Awakening. But overall it has to grow FAST to avoid cancellation. Go SGU!
    The return part II: Sheppard contacts O'Neill from the jumper and tells him their mission isn''t sanctioned by General Landry.
    General Jack o'Neill: "So am i to assume you're not surrounded by heavily armed SG-teams and young strapping marines?"
    Dr. Weir: "You've got Colonel Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, McKay, myself and Dr. Beckett."
    Jack: "Oooh, Dr. Beckett is it? Oh i'm comforted!"
    Dr. Beckett: "What's that supposed to mean?"

I disagree. "All the wonders of the Universe and Destiny" are only interesting tidbits. The real meat of SGU, and proper science-fiction, is examining how these so very human characters deal with the fantastic situations they find themselves.

So many shows and movies these days avoid meat for spectacle and long, drawn-out sequences of pew pew pew, so I'm completely unsurprised that anything that lacks those elements gets derided as boring waste of time.

BSG was much more of a soap opera than SGU is. Right from Day 1, we knew who was going to romantically hook up with whom and that show lived down to my every expectation. Most North American TV shows simply can't bring themselves to have any shreds of originality, and the shipping wars simply reinforces this fact.

So you think that this was useless and unenjoyable? I'm glad for you and your taste in TV shows. It's not my thing, but I'm glad you enjoy them. I'll stick with Dune, 2001, Rendevous with Rama, I Have No Mouth...
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

guess I'm going to have to completely disagree with the OP.
      I see tons of wonder, humor and adventure in SGU. As for original ideas, there are none, anywhere, anymore. It's all in the delivery. SGU is new to me in that it delivers in a new way. There isn't much in this world that stands up to comparison with other like interests.
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

There doesn't have to be a gunfight or some action to make a good sci-fi story. Like Deep Space Nine (my most favorite show ever, next to Lost) did so many times: a good story, characters i want to care for, a real sense of exploring the unknown and facing unknown threats, surprising plot-twists etc. There were so many good eps without gunfights, action, or expensive special FX. Its scope was very big and interesting. SGU doesn't entirely have these qualities YET.

Like i said, the premise of this show is very good and promising, but it just seems to drag on too lang without giving us something to 'chew' on.

For the record i want to set something straight here: i do care for and like this show. I just didn't like 'Pathogen'.
        I really hope we get 10 seasons of more SGU, but there have to be made some real changes ot the show to keep it viable for a big audience.
        The return part II: Sheppard contacts O'Neill from the jumper and tells him their mission isn''t sanctioned by General Landry.
        General Jack o'Neill: "So am i to assume you're not surrounded by heavily armed SG-teams and young strapping marines?"
        Dr. Weir: "You've got Colonel Sheppard, Ronon, Teyla, McKay, myself and Dr. Beckett."

Comment

Originally posted by StefanSGA View Post
          There doesn't have to be a gunfight or some action to make a good sci-fi story. Like Deep Space Nine (my most favorite show ever, next to Lost) did so many times: a good story, characters i want to care for, a real sense of exploring the unknown and facing unknown threats, surprising plot-twists etc. There were so many good eps without gunfights, action, or expensive special FX. Its scope was very big and interesting. SGU doesn't entirely have these qualities YET.

Like i said, the premise of this show is very good and promising, but it just seems to drag on too lang without giving us something to 'chew' on.
          given the sheer amount of discussion here about the tiniest minutiae regarding actions on SGU, I'd have to disagree on the 'something to chew on', as clearly there is a whole lot.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
            given the sheer amount of discussion here about the tiniest minutiae regarding actions on SGU, I'd have to disagree on the 'something to chew on', as clearly there is a whole lot.
            Okay, i see your point. Let me rephrase my words. What i mean is an interesting plot-development that get's everybody excited in a positive way and makes you 'want' to see the next episode as quick as possible. 'Lost' (the show) did that for me numerous times when those ending credits appeared out of the blue. The ending with the seeder ship was good, it made me want to see the next ep. This episode however made me watching at the clock the whole time, wishing it would end.

Comment

- Humor and adventure: absolutely absent.
              Humor does not make Stargate. So many people like to forget that the movie was incredibly minimal with it, yet there wasn't such a backlash against SG-1 as there is against SGU.

I'd actually be inclined to say that SG-1 started losing some of its compelling nature when Jack was being dumbed down into dropping constant one liners and "moments of ignorant stupidity" in the later seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Kanten View Post
                Humor does not make Stargate. So many people like to forget that the movie was incredibly minimal with it, yet there wasn't such a backlash against SG-1 as there is against SGU.

I'd actually be inclined to say that SG-1 started losing some of its compelling nature when Jack was being dumbed down into dropping constant one liners and "moments of ignorant stupidity" in the later seasons.
                Well, Time was a great episode and Eli was absolutely amazing in that episode with his comedic lines.

Comment

Okay, i see your point. Let me rephrase my words. What i mean is an interesting plot-development that get's everybody excited in a positive way and makes you 'want' to see the next episode as quick as possible. 'Lost' (the show) did that for me numerous times when those ending credits appeared out of the blue. The ending with the seeder ship was good, it made me want to see the next ep. This episode however made me watching at the clock the whole time, wishing it would end.
                  this is coming down to a matter of personal taste - of what YOU get excited over. All I can say is, take a look at the 'waiting for SGU' threads when the series is in hiatus, or at the pre-airing threads for specific episodes. There is a considerable amount of excitement not only for specific episodes and their directions but for the series as a whole. I frequently find that the ending credits appear out of the blue in SGU and I'm left on the edge of my seat waiting for the next episode. Then again, I genuinely like and enjoy the show, enjoy its characters and its story arc. If you don';t enjoy it, maybe that's why it drags for you?

Originally posted by Kanten View Post

No, humor doesn't make Stargate and in any case, there's humor in SGU, just humor of a different sort.
                  sigpic

Comment

What I find great about the entire Stargate franchise is that it fits so perfectly to my life's course. I grew up with SG-1. It was my companion throughout my entire teens. After I transitioned from school to university and began to live as an adult, I got SGU. The perfect show for a more mentally mature audience. SGU is a work of art.

I find humor not particularly relevant in my life, though. SGA sometimes brought humor too far. I lost my respect for some major characters at some point. But that's just me. I never watch comedies, either.

SGU characters are much more realistic than SG-1 or SGA ones. SG-1 made me become interested in Mathematics. That's why I am studying it today - one of my best choices. I find Rush to be a very appealing human being. I would want to spend every waking minute around him and his science team.

As Evilgrin has said, it boils down to personal preferences.

Comment

I think a lot of Stargate fans let expectations color their perception of the show and/or individual episodes.

With this episode, a lot of people expected Life 2.0. When you go looking for something, that's what you get.

Lose the expectations and you'll enjoy this (and any other) show much more.

Comment

To address the title of this thread, ...

What's going on with SGU is exactly what the producers and creators said was going to happen with it. They described what their idea was and that's what they've been creating and producing.

Comment

Whats going on with SGU is that its epicly awesome. Unfortunatly America is too busy with pseudo reality tv to realize this.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post

Whats going on with SGU is that its epicly awesome. Unfortunatly America is too busy with pseudo reality tv to realize this.
                            I couldn't agree more. This show is great, and I wish more people could realize that. There don't have to be explosions and a ton of gunfire in each episode for it to be good.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I though it was a fairly good episode, just slightly predictable. It was kind of obvious from the beginning that Eli's mom would visit the ship. This was especially the case when they said she was getting worst, and she's depressed. Also, the previews in the beginning of the season, showing Chloe with the skin markings, made it kinda clear that she wouldn't get cured this episode.

Overall, nothing really happened. Just a lot of setting things up for the next big movement in terms of the plot. In a way, this was Life part two. They set things up in Life, and this is kind of the ramification of it. It would be silly to assume that your significant others will not miss you, or everything will be kinda normal when you return home. They've done similar stories in SG-1 and SGA

Comment

Working...
                              X