What is Rush up to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is Rush up to?

Isn't this the first time Rush indicated he actually knew what Destiny's mission was? This makes you wonder where he got that information from. It could be just playing with the ship, but that seems too indirect based on his interactions with it so far. We could find out he knew all about it even before coming to Destiny; he certainly knew more than he let on. But I just had the thought, what if he actually learned the bulk of the info on exactly what Destiny's mission is from the Blues. That would be interesting. Remember, he did already admit to getting some info out of their mind when he was hooked up to them. What do you all think, when and where did Rush figure out Destiny's purpose?

Rush doesn't know what the mission is, only that it has one and it's important. He makes this clear in "Aftermath". The ship has a purpose. His reference to it in this episode is simply his belief that the mission is better served if he can give the crew the time they need, rather than working on the ship's schedule.

Comment

I'm not so sure about that. He definitely has known more than he is letting on from the beginning, and given what he has been up to the whole time, I think he has pieced much more togehter than we know.

Comment

At the end of Aftermath he states he has learned Destiny's true mission. Doesn't mean he knows everything. Just means he knows the objective. It makes sense really, when you are a soldier and you get briefed on a mission the first thing they tell you is the objective.

I.E. Go to the end of the Universe and discover the coolest thing in the world ... Ok now here is the rest of the stuff.

Just so happens that with Destiny, its a whole hell of a lot of stuff. Including new technology. It's as if not only do the soldier get the mission to infiltrate a city, but they are also being put in a new vehicle they have never used before, never been trained on, and don't have an instruction manual for, but they have data on. They have to figure out how to use the vehicle based on their own trial and errors. And, the first thing you want to do with a vehicle is learn how to make it start and stop and turn. Just so happens when this vehicle (the destiny) stops, hit has a limited time and then it automatically starts back up again. There is a work around, or a way to change the limit, but you have to use trial and error again to figure it out, because they don't have the instruction manual.
        Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I think ultimately it is going to have to boil down to a fairly simple and easy to explain overall mission with a single objective, if for no other reason than to satisfy network executives. And I'm pretty sure Rush already knows what it is. Sounds like you agree with that much. But the question is, when did he find it out, and from whom? I'd pick the Blues as the most intriguing possiblity.

Comment

Originally posted by BadOnion View Post
            I think ultimately it is going to have to boil down to a fairly simple and easy to explain overall mission with a single objective, if for no other reason than to satisfy network executives. And I'm pretty sure Rush already knows what it is. Sounds like you agree with that much. But the question is, when did he find it out, and from whom? I'd pick the Blues as the most intriguing possiblity.
            I really think the Blues couldn't get that info from the ship. It was locked up in the bridge. The bridge is the key to the full library of information. Prior to that Rush, and subsequently the blues, were operating on a something like a Branch of the Main library, has a few hundred books compared to thousands of books. Limited info. The mission of Destiny would be top secret info, privy to only the highest in command. And the crew of course would know because you need to keep your crew up to date. But maybe the Ancients wouldn't have even known the mission of destiny until they got there. Assuming the creators of destiny kept the mission secret and just contracted out the construction of the ship. I mean, today governments have people build things for Top Secret missions and don't disclose any information to the contractors. And Mission objectives are on a need to know basis (which of course becomes the crew once they are needed).

Think the invasion of Normandy, soldiers knew they would do something huge and table turning but didn't know what until the night before the mission. Just how it works.

As far as the mission. I think your are correct, it will be simple, yet mind blowing. But there will be sub-missions. Things that should be done or they have an interest in doing but aren't vital to the main objective.
            Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I hope its not something like "save the universe from being destroyed", but I get the feeling it might be some variation of that.

Comment

Depends on how forward-thinking the Ancients were. If they really assumed they'd be around forever, the death of the universe might look like a valid concern.

Comment

I hope its not something like "save the universe from being destroyed", but I get the feeling it might be some variation of that.
                  Nah, I've read a quote from an interview with Robert Carlyle, and what it said is apparently the mission. Here is a paraphrase of that:

Spoiler:
                  The ancients found evidence of a point in space that could give them everything they needed to ascend. Then once Destiny got to this point it would go back in time to a point a few days after Destiny launched, and reveal this information to the Ancients. /end paraphrasing

Which, if this is true, leads me to believe that, The ancients in Timeline A (a timeline before the one we live in) launched destiny, and went to destiny and helped it complete it's mission. Then they came back in time to Timeline B (our timeline) and taught the Ancients from millions of years ago how to ascend. Thus in our timeline, they never needed to board destiny, because they already knew how to ascende. BUT, destiny had already been launched a few days (months or years) prior to the Timeline A Ancients return to Timeline B, so it was out there for us to eventually find and repeat the cycle. This is why the ancients never went to destiny, because it had already come back once. This also adds for a nice conclusion to the series. But ultimately it sounds kinda boring. Just an endless cycle of time travel. Nothing too revolutionary, and it's about ascension, a topic we have already dealt with a lot.

So, I hope it is something different than that. But if it is, they better make it awesome lol.

Comment

Hmm, that might make the people who complain about the BSG similarities blow a gasket. If it
                    Spoiler:
                    "Happened all before."
                    And where the heck does it leave the crew?

Comment

Hmm, that might make the people who complain about the BSG similarities blow a gasket. If it
                      Spoiler:
                      "Happened all before."
                      And where the heck does it leave the crew?
                      Spoiler:
                      they never get home

Comment

Isn't this the first time Rush indicated he actually knew what Destiny's mission was? This makes you wonder where he got that information from. It could be just playing with the ship, but that seems too indirect based on his interactions with it so far. We could find out he knew all about it even before coming to Destiny; he certainly knew more than he let on. But I just had the thought, what if he actually learned the bulk of the info on exactly what Destiny's mission is from the Blues. That would be interesting. Remember, he did already admit to getting some info out of their mind when he was hooked up to them. What do you all think, when and where did Rush figure out Destiny's purpose?
                        I have suspected from the beginning that O'neil, Rush an may be Telford all knew about the destiny mission before they even manage to open the stargate to destiny, it was the reason for the Icarus project an why Telford was really sent under cover to the lucian alliance, to learn what they knew. Rush been acting like he confirming stuff rather than actually being surprise by what he finds, ever since he arrived.

They just do not trust Young an his an the rest of the civilians to tell them what mission about yet, I can see why they have kept this knowledge from them for so long an also why they are not the right people for the job. An the Lucian alliance just do not like to share there secrets.
                        Last edited by knowles2; 20 October 2010, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
                          Nah, I've read a quote from an interview with Robert Carlyle, and what it said is apparently the mission. Here is a paraphrase of that:

Spoiler:
                          The ancients found evidence of a point in space that could give them everything they needed to ascend. Then once Destiny got to this point it would go back in time to a point a few days after Destiny launched, and reveal this information to the Ancients. /end paraphrasing

Which, if this is true, leads me to believe that, The ancients in Timeline A (a timeline before the one we live in) launched destiny, and went to destiny and helped it complete it's mission. Then they came back in time to Timeline B (our timeline) and taught the Ancients from millions of years ago how to ascend. Thus in our timeline, they never needed to board destiny, because they already knew how to ascende. BUT, destiny had already been launched a few days (months or years) prior to the Timeline A Ancients return to Timeline B, so it was out there for us to eventually find and repeat the cycle. This is why the ancients never went to destiny, because it had already come back once. This also adds for a nice conclusion to the series. But ultimately it sounds kinda boring. Just an endless cycle of time travel. Nothing too revolutionary, and it's about ascension, a topic we have already dealt with a lot.

So, I hope it is something different than that. But if it is, they better make it awesome lol.
                          Do you have a link to the interview?

Comment

Or at least that crazy. I think the ship is talking to him trying to find out who he is and if he is worthy of controlling the ship. That's why the ppl (his wife and the other guy) keep asking why do you want to control the ship, why are u doing this. Trying to get rush to reveal himself. What do u guys think?

Comment

I like Rush, but haven't been thrilled with some of the dark choices he's made this season.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X