Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Eli the most valuable person on the ship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Eli the most valuable person on the ship?

Sure he's good at math, and he cracked the 9th chevron, which I maintain was luck, Rush on the other hand did all the ground work on the 9th chevron, cracked the mastercode and in general the crew would be feeked without him.. so why do people think eli is so important... The only thing I can think of is a possible food source should they run out of rations... (kidding of course, David Blue is awesome )
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Sure he's good at math, and he cracked the 9th chevron, which I maintain was luck, Rush on the other hand did all the ground work on the 9th chevron, cracked the mastercode and in general the crew would be feeked without him.. so why do people think eli is so important... The only thing I can think of is a possible food source should they run out of rations... (kidding of course, David Blue is awesome )
    ground work is great and all but it didn't solve it
    why?
    because there's all sorts of intelligence out there and being able to crunch numbers doesn't make you good at the kinds of creative leaps that signify Eli\s form of intelligence.
    Eli IS important
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
      ground work is great and all but it didn't solve it
      why?
      because there's all sorts of intelligence out there and being able to crunch numbers doesn't make you good at the kinds of creative leaps that signify Eli\s form of intelligence.
      Eli IS important
      Since coming to Destiny what major contribution has Eli made though? that no one else could have done?

and ya different types of intelligence sure, Eli is the stoner type, smart but if he wasn't on Destiny his wouldn't have done anything with his life... motivation is a big part of intelligence too...
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

She was talking him up to get them to let his mother on board, nothing more

Comment

Rush worked on that thing for the better part of two years and had the full resources of the SGC. Eli cracked it in a month, with no knowledge of ancient, or any formal education on what he was doing or how to do it. He saw a problem, wondered what the solution would be and found it. With only boredom as his motivator.

Rush is on a quest for power, a product of his environment, otherwise limited and flawed. Eli has potential for much more. And I doubt that just anyone on board could do the sling shot math in seconds like Eli did. Volker probably could have done it, but they would have already been in FTL when he submitted his answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
            Since coming to Destiny what major contribution has Eli made though? that no one else could have done?
            He figured out the KINOs and invented the KINO-sled.
            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Can we really quantify who is the most important person on Destiny? Its all based on people's personal opinions
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Joben View Post
                She was talking him up to get them to let his mother on board, nothing more
                ^This. Wray's statement should not be taken as entirely serious.

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                  ^This. Wray's statement should not be taken as entirely serious.
                  Quite so.
                  "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.

Comment

No one is "the most important", I'm getting that's a part of the show, that no one can do it alone. Claiming that Eli isn't important because you're willing to discount the things he has done or accuse him of being a stoner when that's never been shown? Can't get there from here. People think in radically different ways. Maybe not better ways, but different ways and Eli appears to be one of those guys that is capable of making creative leaps, quickly, and acting on them. That doesn't make him useless. It doesn't make him the most important person on the ship, but the fact that Rush considers him a genius should at least put the idea that Eli is useless to bed.
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

TBH, Becker is. lol
                      sigpic

Comment

He is the guy Young goes to when he wants geeky stuff done under the radar.

Comment

Wray had to make Eli and his contributions seem crucial to Destiny. The people she works for would not have let Eli's mom have clearance and travel to the ship otherwise. If the person she was on the phone with was a superior in the IOA, well the IOA (with the exception of Woolsey and Wray) aren't really known to have an understanding or compassionate nature.
                          sigpic

Find your Destiny

Comment

There are three shows going on...one where the Colonel is the hero, and that is the Sg1 type of show...Another where Rush is the anti-hero and that is the angst/rebel/drama type of show, and Eli is the hero of the underdog/scifi novel/GuyWeCanIdentifyWith show.

That being said, Eli figured out the power levels, figured out the point of origin, figured out the kinos, and was the only other person who picked up on the fact that the seeder ship had enough power to dial home. I'd say he is pretty important.

Comment

Originally posted by castigear View Post
                              That being said, Eli figured out the power levels...
                              Does anyone remember what the power level was, exactly?

Comment

Working...
                              X