Transgender stoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transgender stoning?

Something this episode made me think of with the transfer of Eli's mother, which I can't remember is... have we ever seen the stones used to transfer a man into a women's body or vice versa? Seems rather convenient that they always have the appropriate gender person available on the other end even when they use the stones at a non-scheduled time.

I wonder if there is a safeguard to prevent switching the sexes or if they don't want to get into that whole bag of worms. I could see a light-hearted SG1 episode with people finding out how the other side lives via the stones... but it doesn't really fit the feel of SGU.

<Snipped by Moderator.PG forum>
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 October 2010, 03:09 PM.

There is nothing to stop a transfer from different sexes. Vala connected to Daniel when she was in the Ori galaxy.

Comment

They havent yet, but I dont see why they couldn't technically - and unless it was a conscious plot element, I dont see why they would from a writing perspective.

Of course, with the way the Destiny crew treat their "loaner" bodies while on "shore leave" - drinking and sexing around - I'm not surprised that they insist on having their familiar type of bits

Comment

TPTB could have "gone" there with the SG-1 episode "Holiday". I still haven't decided if it was the "rummaging about" factor or the fact that only Sam was smart enough to figure out the puzzle that prevented them from having her be part of the mix-up.
        sigpic
        My Stories: FFdotNet
        My Stories AO3
        Thanks, Oma, for the Sig!

Comment

They've already done it once with Vala taking over Daniel.

Comment

^ This

And it seems deliberate, like they specifically ask for it, or its just accepted.

Imagine learning how to pee again just for a trip home?

Comment

Ah lol. Young with PMS, watch out Rush... He would be even more bad ass!
              sigpic
              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

They could always have someone reporting back and forth that is available to schedule emergency visits as needed in gender appropriate bodies. I could imagine balance would be an issue as men and women often have different body types.
                sigpic

Comment

LOL at the title! Stoning transgenders!

I hope they don't do it. Its difficult as it is for the relatives back home.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the Daniel-Vala thing was a special case when they were still in the early stages of discovering how to control the stones. (Plus that was one-way). I expect there's a safety lock that would prevent this from happening and I would be surprised if there is any transgender stoning on SGU.

I like being surprised on SGU
                    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                    Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                      Something this episode made me think of with the transfer of Eli's mother, which I can't remember is... have we ever seen the stones used to transfer a man into a women's body or vice versa? Seems rather convenient that they always have the appropriate gender person available on the other end even when they use the stones at a non-scheduled time.
                      Nope, there's non of that in SGU, no matter how suprising the stone- visits are and it has been pointed out since halfway through S1, actually.

I could think of various reasons, but I'd put my money on it just being too hard to really get the problem across to the viewer. After all, we only see the "stoned" person (or the consciousness) anyway. So them standing in front of the camera complaining about how they suddenly have alternate bits without the viewer actually getting a direct visual would be ...meh. Or without a mirror, everyone else would have to start pretty constant commenting on the situation.

Could lead to interesting* situations, though, particularly with the earth-destiny separated couples.

*edit: And by that I mean interesting/intelligent drama... complete with discussion of gender roles, sexual identity and so on. Not necessarily the bedroom scenes.

Comment

Toilet scens would get awkward. i can see someone forgetting they are the 'opposite' sex.

Comment

I think if they did choose to do this it would be more awkward, bringing up all kind of perverted questions more than anything worthwhile.
                          sigpic

Comment

It's part of human nature, so it's worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                              Toilet scens would get awkward. i can see someone forgetting they are the 'opposite' sex.
                              Well you have to seat regardless if you are going to make the number 2 so it would not be that diferent. Just the cleaning aspect would be diferent.
                              sigpic
                              - SteamID user since 2005 -- you can add me - visit steam translation server brazil @ Steelbox

Comment

Working...
                              X