Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why not just use holograms or even CGI and voice altering software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Descended View Post
    In one way she isn't as much of a security risk as people think... as we have seen the military kill to cover up the Stargate program before (a reporter in SG1) - and if she started to make noise like she was going to talk they could always kill her and tell Eli she died of complications from her HIV. He would be sad but would have no reason not to believe them and would continue on.
    If they did do that, i would really hate to see what happens IF he found out!

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
      I get that they don't want to bring in too much advanced technology from SG1 and Atlantis but the whole solution with Eli and his mother was kind of stupid. The whole thing with Eli pretending to be someone else was stupid.

They could have easily had Eli record video messages for his mother while he was in someone else's body and then digitally alter the image to make it look like Eli. They could have also had Eli call his mother and digitally alter the voice to sound like Eli. That's just with today's technology. If they wanted to go a step farther, they could have projected a hologram around the person Eli's inhabiting for a face to face visit.

They could do that for every one of Destiny's crew and preserve the secret of the SG program.
      It wasn't stupid at all. What would have been stupid is to waste all those resources to create holograms and cgi to fool people who are cleared to know the truth anyways. And it would be pointless to go to all that trouble for people that aren't cleared.

How stupid would it have been to waste all those resources making a hologram just to have it all undone by a mother trying to hug her son, who she hasn't seen in a long time? Many of the hologram devices that we've seen don't create solid figures. The ones that do have other draw backs like having to have the subject on earth in a pod suspended from the ceiling at the SGC.

It was just much quicker and cheaper to do it with the stones.

I think the only stupid part out of the whole episode is; the issue of Eli's special treatment creating jealousy and animosity among the crew was never addressed very much. They might have saved that for another episode though.

Comment

mimetic alien device can change appearance and voice, why not use those? they were at area 51, when O'Neil was framed. i mean we see the character and not the host anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter's Boy View Post
          mimetic alien device can change appearance and voice, why not use those? they were at area 51, when O'Neil was framed. i mean we see the character and not the host anyway.
          Because they require the person be scanned to have the image and voice of the person be set. Unfortunately, Eli is a bazzilion light years away and unavailable for scanning.

The question remain though: what's the point of going to all that trouble in the first place? Eli's mom had clearance since 'Earth' last season. Why waste resources trying to figure out how to create an Eli hologram without an Eli on hand when they can save money and just use the stones?

I think she was already lucky enough to use the stones. The higher ups were probably easier to convince because it didn't cost anything (well not very much anyways).
          Last edited by Dex Luther; 22 October 2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter's Boy View Post
            Mimetic devices need to be able to scan the person they're copying for a valid disguise. Can't scan a person who's not there. O'Neill's was one of the templates left behind by the aliens.

Comment

I think the only stupid part out of the whole episode is; the issue of Eli's special treatment creating jealousy and animosity among the crew was never addressed very much. They might have saved that for another episode though.
              That would be something interesting to see if they explore.. whether there IS any resentment that comes about cause he got his loved one to be allowed to stone to the destiny...

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                That would be something interesting to see if they explore.. whether there IS any resentment that comes about cause he got his loved one to be allowed to stone to the destiny...
                I cant imagine why there wouldn't be. I'm sure everyone understands why it was done (it basically saved her life), but human nature would create a ship-load of jealous people none-the-less.

It's hard to tell if all those dirty looks in the mess at the end of the episode where directed at Chloe, Eli, or both.

Comment

Originally posted by Dex Luther View Post
                  I cant imagine why there wouldn't be. I'm sure everyone understands why it was done (it basically saved her life), but human nature would create a ship-load of jealous people none-the-less.
                  Agreed. I understand why many a time IRL, a married guy gets to go home early (the kids/wife needs), but still resent it as it winds up being us singles who pick up the slack, and rarely get any recognition from it. So i can very well see people's nature coming out.

Comment

Working...
                  X