No announcement yet.

Why are those ships looking so dark and odd-looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like ChloeOBrian said (love 24 btw), that and the fact that we, as people living today, associate those things with past society. Like the OP said, old Russian submarines. Will give us the feel like it is actually old. They did the same thing with Caprica, notice all the smoking and the clothes the Taurans wear.
    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

I believe that the Aurora and Destiny Ships are dark coloured so they are harder to detect with the naked eye. Remember thousands of years ago there probably wasn't advanced sensor arrays on other ships, so being dark coloured would have been an advantage as you could almost blend into the background.
      The reason Atlantis is so white and clean is that it was a City Ship, city being the operative word. It was designed to house the Ancients first, and be a intergalactic ship second. Atlantis would have spent a great majority of its time on the ground or sea.

Comment

The reason Destiny looks so old and run down, is because IT IS old and run down.

What other explanation do you need?

Just because it is more advanced by our standards, but less advanced than Atlantis, doesn't mean that it has to suffer the "J.J. Abrams Trek Effect (needlessly bright, chrome looking and always clean)".

What I am trying to explain is, not everything more advanced needs to have a shiney surface. If that were the case, then silver spray paint is obviously from the future or something!
        Teselecta: "Silence will fall when the question is asked."

Doctor: "And what is the question?"

Teselecta: "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Doctor: " *Brainfart* ".

Comment

Originally posted by zainea13 View Post
          Like ChloeOBrian said (love 24 btw), that and the fact that we, as people living today, associate those things with past society. Like the OP said, old Russian submarines. Will give us the feel like it is actually old. They did the same thing with Caprica, notice all the smoking and the clothes the Taurans wear.
          Yes its designed with the audience in mind. Another reason is that SGU is a more serious show compared to atlantis or sg1. So a dark and pessimistic look goes with that better than bright flashy colours.

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
            Yes its designed with the audience in mind. Another reason is that SGU is a more serious show compared to atlantis or sg1. So a dark and pessimistic look goes with that better than bright flashy colours.
            exactly its all about affect on the viewer, simply as that.
            Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Logical or not it's a beautiful or ship. It's the most beautiful ship on any Stargate show, clearly from a different culture than the folks who built Atlantis. Just like cars built in the 40s are very different from cars built in the 90s. I wouldnt say "odd looking" I would call her exotic.

My favorite feature is the observation deck. So many ships in these shows are clearly only made for war but Destiny actually has a place where people stand and marvel at what's out there. Earth ships from SG are very clunky and ugly. Gua'uld ships were pretty and "odd looking" from a hollywood space ship perspective.
              Last edited by Skiznot; 22 October 2010, 02:58 PM.
              I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

Maybe we can get the crew to paint it when we find some!

Comment

Originally posted by spaceship View Post
                  For me this is choosing the easy way. It would be much more interesting if they had created the dark atmosphere without the help of dark colours, but with proper soundtrack, intensive storylines, acting etc. If there really was a ship made by the Ancients, I believe it would look exactly like on their lifetime. It would look intimidatingly white and clean. For me that would create much more frightening atmosphere.

Comment

why destiny sounds like a small block diesel engine?

Comment

Originally posted by Demoniser View Post
                      It looks old because that's what the art department/producers wanted it to look like. There's nothing more to it. They wanted it to look old and rusty, so they went with an old and rusty steampunk/jules verne design.
                      This, and also having lots of dark areas means you don't have to spend as much money on less important sets.

regards,
                      G.
                      Go for Marty...

Comment

We all know TPTB love time travel.
                        Maybe we will get a time travel back millions of years onto destiny, maybe a coronal mass ejection or whatever. And we will get to see the ship the way it used to be?

Comment

I think the Destiny created by the ancient Ori.

Comment

Comparing sets the SGC was a hollowed dull set of tunnels and Atlantis looked somewhere between a mall and a soul-less office building on the inside. I enjoy the natural lighting in Destiny but I think they could have done better to make it seem less human. My favorite is the observation deck. I hope the eventually unlock some bigger rooms that have significant cultural function like a big room that projects holograms in the middle to show stellar cartography and things.
                            I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Comment

The whole look has bothered me since day one. This is done from the devs. design perspective what the reasoning is i don't know. But what i know is thats it's wrong. The ancients had a lot in common with the humans. We humans are not creatures of the night we need certain amounts of light if not it affects us mentally and physically.

The ship design has many flaws. For me that is enough to prove they tried to copy the BSG mood and ships. For instance the interface of the computer works with a jogdial and a handful of buttons? For sequential operations that is good but not for complex operations they meant to full-fill. Get a interface designer to help you out.

I don't know maybe this ship is a huge waiting room before you commit suicide.

Comment

I personally liked those goa'uld pyramid ships most. They looked mysterious and prosperous. I liked the whole idea, the connection between the pyramids on Earth and the alien ships.

Comment

Working...
                                X