Why are those ships looking so dark and odd-looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are those ships looking so dark and odd-looking

In my mind Ancient things (rooms etc) are bright and clean and futuristic, but those ships looke inside like some old abandoned Russian submarines. Why are they so dark and weird, why are there sometimes some liquid on the walls and steam in the air? I understand that they are old, but being so technologically advanced they shouldn't look old for us. Those corridors look like built in 20th century.

Because Destiny pre-dates Atlantis by millions of years. The Ancients were nowhere as advanced as they were when they build that Atlantis. Added to that, the Ancients expected to be there to do the upkeep, but they never showed. As a result, the maintenance is way behind.
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

destiny and the seeders are built to be rugged and functional.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Your all wrong, the destiny toilet backed up and spray the ship with ancient excrement. (which was aboard for some scientific reason)

Comment

It looks old because that's what the art department/producers wanted it to look like. There's nothing more to it. They wanted it to look old and rusty, so they went with an old and rusty steampunk/jules verne design.

Comment

remember that these ships are millions of years old. remember the Orion vs the Aurora in the virtual world ("Aurora"). in VR, it was all white and bright. in reality, it was quite dark.

essentially, Destiny during it's launch probably would've been the classic white. but it's already a miracle that the ship still functions

Comment

Destiny is older, also - steampunk is awesome

This is a fairly common complaint in sci-fi - the bright and shiny vs the dark and gritty.
              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Well, the reason I personally expected it to be bright and shiny was that even millions of years ago they were more advanced than we are at the moment. Shouldn't they have had better looking ships than we are at the moment?

Comment

Destiny is one gorgeous ship, but it's a matter of personal taste and how you see the world and see the future. Some see it as bright and shiny, and some don't. Nothing wrong with that. I also see the Destiny as fairly bright, as in - number of light sources. I just find that SGU uses shadows masterfully to create atmosphere and depth, a mood. That that is working is clear from the mood a lot of viewers have gotten. It might not be a mood that everyone likes but it's definitely effective.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Have we all forgotten how all their stuff looked like they were made of stone back in the MW?

Comment

like i said, in VR the Aurora was white and shiny but in reality it was dark and gritty.

atlantis seems to be the exception here, but most ancient stuff is simply so old all the white and shiny has long eroded away. and it's already a miracle only the white and shiny went

Comment

There's reasons for a dark exterior, stealth. i.e. When you fall out of FTL, you don't want to look like a bright star for the blues (or whomever) to easily locate you with just optics.

Beyond that metals tarnish with age. The crew is just a little lacking on the silver polish. Or motivation to spruce the place up. Plus they haven't found where they keep the light bulbs yet.

Comment

Probably, after flying through bunch of stars to recharge the power, the metal surfaces inside the ship got oxidized and the internal humidity turn the wall into dark color. Plus the gas filter has been malfunction quite a long time, chemical reaction on the air perhaps has a role to it.

Comment

I agree with the original post. Some of the layout seems really primitive seeing as they were already advanced enough to build Stargates. I could understand it not looking quite as polished as Atlantis but pipes and wires everywhere seems a little crude.
                            sigpic

Comment

I choose to believe it was built with longevity in mind as opposed to comfort. The way it looks: All the rage a million years ago. I think the "bad" lighting is probably a little more realistic. The less frills their are, the less of a chance that the system fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X