No announcement yet.

Apotheosis (118)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to miss this show. In 18 episodes it did some killer storytelling, gave me some characters to care about and just generally created a universe that was totally immersive and enjoyable in its complexities. I may be like one of twenty-odd people who actually liked the show in the whole wide world of worldliness, so bully for me for actually taking away a positive experience away from the show. It's been a great ride.

Part of the reason I'm content with how the show ended is the epilogue seen here. Obviously it was intended to foreshadow events of season two, but, apart from a few threads that can be handwaved away (Duram and Tamara), it worked brilliantly (Music especially. Wow.). Daniel and Amanda and Zoe are a twisted-up family again and continuing their mad science stuff that'll only end badly, the Adamas are concentrated on family, and Clarice is doing what Clarice does best - go bat****. Any character I thought to be a little iffy about at the start turned around for me. Although I'm not sure many would've survived past the initial Cylon war - Sam would probably get caught up in something, Daniel and Amanda would've probably gotten killed by Zoe or something and I have a mental image of Clarice Vs Lacy at the end - I really wished I could've stuck with 'em for a bit more. But, like I said, I'm content with it. All hail Caprica and stuff. Gonna miss it, glad to have watched it.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
      I am going to miss this show. In 18 episodes it did some killer storytelling, gave me some characters to care about and just generally created a universe that was totally immersive and enjoyable in its complexities. I may be like one of twenty-odd people who actually liked the show in the whole wide world of worldliness, so bully for me for actually taking away a positive experience away from the show. It's been a great ride.

Part of the reason I'm content with how the show ended is the epilogue seen here. Obviously it was intended to foreshadow events of season two, but, apart from a few threads that can be handwaved away (Duram and Tamara), it worked brilliantly (Music especially. Wow.). Daniel and Amanda and Zoe are a twisted-up family again and continuing their mad science stuff that'll only end badly, the Adamas are concentrated on family, and Clarice is doing what Clarice does best - go bat****. Any character I thought to be a little iffy about at the start turned around for me. Although I'm not sure many would've survived past the initial Cylon war - Sam would probably get caught up in something, Daniel and Amanda would've probably gotten killed by Zoe or something and I have a mental image of Clarice Vs Lacy at the end - I really wished I could've stuck with 'em for a bit more. But, like I said, I'm content with it. All hail Caprica and stuff. Gonna miss it, glad to have watched it.
      Well said! I agree with most everything you said. I'm not sure I can picture Zoe killing her parents at this point, though, since it seems the Cylon war is being led by Clarice and Zoe has taken her own ideological path separate (indeed, in opposition to) Clarice's.

I have to say, one thing I would have liked to know had the series continued was what Zoe would think about Cylons being mass-marketed for the public. Does she recognize a part of herself in them? Would she consider them a life form or just machines in comparison to herself, who is for all purposes a fully sentient human?

Comment

One thing I would have liked to know is how in the world did Clarice escape being thrown in prison after the Atlas stadium bombing? At that point it wouldn't matter that Duram's boss was a terrorist. They had all the evidence they needed pointing to Clarice. It like to know how she managed to go scott-free and keep running around in the wild. That was probably the biggest surprise of the final montage--simply that she was in it. Caprican law enforcement must be mighty ineffective. (Not to mention how Lacy and the other would-be bombers in an earlier episode managed to just drive off and escape the spaceport they just tried to bomb with absolutely no pursuit).

Comment

interesting - the ending (which pretty much precludes any possibility of a 2nd season) suggests this was shot in haste, either as soon as news of the series' cancellation broke out, or in anticipation thereof

btw am I the only one here who now thinks the entire Bill Adama subplot was an utter waste of airtime ?

Comment

That's the thing, I think this ending was actually pre-planned. Shots from the final montage and Clarice's final voiceover appeared in trailers for season 1.5 back in July. Either they already knew it would be canceled then and just lied about it until October, or they were originally planning on ending the season that way. I also saw some news articles talking about a possible time jump for season 2, so I think they were going to skip ahead a few years and pick up the story later on, and they had already planned that montage to close out the plotlines from season 1.

And yeah I thought it was funny too how they advertised the show for months as showing Bill Adam's childhood, only to say, "haha, wrong William Adama, suckers!"

Comment

maybe not pre-planned, but rather allowed for. it's quite possible they shot this alongside the regular scenes, just in case the series were to be canceled
              if that is so then other shows should take example on this

Comment

Maybe, but why put it in the previews then? If it was just an alternate ending as it were, why use it to advertise the show long before it was actually canceled?

Comment

Well, it has to have been the regular season 1's ending all along since at the end, it's written "Next season on Caprica".

Comment

yeah well if this was supposed to have been the official ending all along then it sux, for it's basically one big f-ing spoiler which makes it kinda impossible to write a decent season 2 after that (since all suspense is blown away)

that's why I reckoned it to be an alternate ending instead, a "plan B" of sorts to quickly wrap up the storyline & avoid a cliffhanger if things went wrong

Comment

^ Unless they skipped right to/after the events depicted in the "preview".

Comment

ron moore did say that there was going to be time jumps so going ahead to the ending we saw makes sense.

it's a ending and a new beginning for season 2
                        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

The epilogue was like a trailer :

A glimpse of things to come...

trailer/epilogue

NEXT SEASON ON CAPRICA

A glimpse of things to come NEXT SEASON ON CAPRICA^^

Comment

BTW, there were apparently two versions of the last episode which aired. The version shown on the Canadian Space channel said "The Shape of Things to Come" right before the final montage, while the version on Canadian iTunes apparently said "Next Season on Caprica." I'm guessing they changed it for the TV version at the last minute but had already submitted the original version to iTunes. That probably sheds some light on this, since it shows it was originally intended to act as a trailer for the next season, but then ended up being used as a summary montage instead.

Comment

they never did clear up what the whole mess with amanda seeing her dead brother was all about besides making her psychotic and suicidal did they?

Comment

Originally posted by boo1234 View Post
                                they never did clear up what the whole mess with amanda seeing her dead brother was all about besides making her psychotic and suicidal did they?
                                Yeah, basically giving her a chance to 'reinvent' herself. Breaking her down and then building her up again.
                                Mia: Don't you hate that?
                                Vincent: Hate what?
                                Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                                Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                                Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                                - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X