No announcement yet.

Firewall (302)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've rewatched this episode a couple of times, and enjoy it every bit as much as the first time around. However, I find myself a little annoyed how Helen dismisses everyone's concerns about Will during the first 10 minutes or so of the episode. I'm sure she's just trying to protect him and all, but she has known for quite awhile that he's been having problems, and she still let him come along on the mission ... and then blamed him by saying "this could have been avoided". For me, yes, it could have been avoided - by her not letting him go on the mission in the first place. For me, it was really her fault that Declan got injured, and the rest of her group almost did. I would just like to see her stepping up and taking a little more responsibility for something like this going wrong, instead of attempting to dismiss it like she did. She tried to dismiss Declan's concerns. She did the same thing to Henry. She didn't even answer Kate, and just walked away from her instead of answering.

I do know that she does take responsibility for a lot of stuff, and she has a huge weight on her shoulders taking care of all sorts of things. But in this case, I feel she was quite wrong for letting Will go on the mission at all.

My other little grumble is how "easily" Wexford got off the hook for his actions. Yes, he got "fired". But he also murdered a civilian by blowing up Forsythe's ship and killing Forsythe. Sure, Forsythe was going to die anyway, but he wasn't already dead. So Wexford in effect murdered him. And got away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      I've rewatched this episode a couple of times, and enjoy it every bit as much as the first time around. However, I find myself a little annoyed how Helen dismisses everyone's concerns about Will during the first 10 minutes or so of the episode. I'm sure she's just trying to protect him and all, but she has known for quite awhile that he's been having problems, and she still let him come along on the mission ... and then blamed him by saying "this could have been avoided". For me, yes, it could have been avoided - by her not letting him go on the mission in the first place. For me, it was really her fault that Declan got injured, and the rest of her group almost did. I would just like to see her stepping up and taking a little more responsibility for something like this going wrong, instead of attempting to dismiss it like she did. She tried to dismiss Declan's concerns. She did the same thing to Henry. She didn't even answer Kate, and just walked away from her instead of answering.

I do know that she does take responsibility for a lot of stuff, and she has a huge weight on her shoulders taking care of all sorts of things. But in this case, I feel she was quite wrong for letting Will go on the mission at all.

My other little grumble is how "easily" Wexford got off the hook for his actions. Yes, he got "fired". But he also murdered a civilian by blowing up Forsythe's ship and killing Forsythe. Sure, Forsythe was going to die anyway, but he wasn't already dead. So Wexford in effect murdered him. And got away with it.
      That's one way of looking at it. Another way is that Will is Helen's protege and he really needed to face up to the situation and either 1) do the job properly or 2) remove himself from duty until he could do the job properly. Helen gave him the opportunity to do the right thing and had lots of back up in case Will faltered. Will needed to hear that "this could have been avoided" line IMO. His job has a steep and harsh learning curve.
      -

Comment

I think Helen obviously knew Will was having issues. Everyone knew. Heck, Declan was in on the 'give the guy a break' cycle too.

I think it was a combo of Will playing the 'i'm fine' card. They knew that he wasn't, but were handling him with kid gloves (henry and biggie cutting him slack when they normally wouldn't have). I think they were also intimidated by him coming back from the dead. And I think they were willing to allow him time to deal with things...either handle it or realize that he wasn't...right up to the point of no return when they and he realized that his sleepless nights were messing things.

I think helen maybe also wasn't sure hot to handle him. How do you handle the resurrected? It was outside even her realm of knowledge and experience.

I think there is also the fact that you can't handle a person until they want to be handled. Will needed to realize that he needed help. It was like trying to help an addict before that addict admits that they are an addict...you can't help a smoker quit smoking until they want to quit smoking.

Thing is...Will knew, even just on the inside, that he needed help...but he was waiting for someone to make him take the help and they were waiting for him to ask for help...and they were both at a standstill waiting for the other to take a step.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

While I understand all those reasons, I am still of the opinion that as the person in charge and the person responsible for the safety of her people (regardless of whether they admit they need help), I think she should have been the one to take that step and tell Will that unless he did something about his problem that she was going to have to take him off the mission list - before somebody else got hurt because of him. Otherwise, what's the point of being in charge?

Comment

I can see helen falling and failing. I can also see her so distracted with Kali and the coup that she didn't pay as close of attention to will as she should have and then it all hit hte fan with giant salamander and hit her upside the head too with a 'd'oh, i haven't been doing my job, have i?'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
              I can see helen falling and failing. I can also see her so distracted with Kali and the coup that she didn't pay as close of attention to will as she should have and then it all hit hte fan with giant salamander and hit her upside the head too with a 'd'oh, i haven't been doing my job, have i?'
              I don't, I see it as more as training Will to make the hard evaluations and decisions.
              -

Comment

either, both

like henry said 'you came back from the dead, that's pretty far out there, even for here'

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                  While I understand all those reasons, I am still of the opinion that as the person in charge and the person responsible for the safety of her people (regardless of whether they admit they need help), I think she should have been the one to take that step and tell Will that unless he did something about his problem that she was going to have to take him off the mission list - before somebody else got hurt because of him. Otherwise, what's the point of being in charge?
                  I see your point, but I'm not sure that I agree. Guess I need to watch the ep again. A tough job, but somebody has to do it!

Comment

I was just wondering, now that season 3 is finished, if anyone recalls the Magnus Slinger making a comeback, being referred to or renamed?
                    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Wow Amazing episode . Love the 3 d city . Growing to like Will
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X