X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's destiny

I'm expanding on this idea from haritori in another thread

Basically, the idea is that the Ancients aren't the only "ancient" race in the universe. Long ago, the Ancients somehow found evidence of another race might exist - on a similar evolutionary path to their own. The only problem was that this race was so inconceivably far away, it was literally on the other side of the universe and nothing that the Ancients had would get them there in any foreseeable timeline...

Which is where Destiny comes in - a multi million year project. The Ancients sent out x number of seeder ships and a master ship to follow them. The seeder ships behave like scouts, they gather data about the area and then dock with Destiny to relay new data that each scout has collected about the area... which the Destiny can then use to correct it's automated route. Remember, they are travelling to the other side of the universe - it's not a straight line and a course that lasts that long no doubt needs just as many corrections to it's route as there are light years in the journey... black holes could form in the time it takes Destiny to reach a certain point along it's trip, so it only makes sense that it's route is updated against latest data...

And of course that's where the 9th chevron comes in... once the Destiny is sufficiently close to it's destination, they could simply dial in and meet the other race... while also having a massive wealth of data about the universe - endless potential colonies and resources to explore. However, it would not approach this destination and meander around until a manned crew was ready to step in... I think that Destiny has been in the right 'region' of the universe for some time and has simply been going around in circles, waiting for it's masters to turn the auto-pilot off and steer it onto it's final course. The latest seed ship updates are still necessary to stop it from exiting into black holes etc.

The reason that I think the Destiny has a plan (and isn't just flying blindly forward) is it's name... Destiny. The whole show's premise is quite similar to BSG and Lost - a bunch of whiny ingrates who are broken, trapped and looking for redemption/new life through sci-fi means. If the ship was blindly hurtling towards anywhere, it would make the show fairly dull and I would posit the Ancients would've called the ship something like "Jupiter-2"...

The idea of the Destiny in a massive holding pattern until a crew arrived would explain why the ship didn't arrive at it's destination ages ago and why they would now coincidently reach a 'destination' within a persons lifetime. It could also explain why a race like the 'blues' has been able to keep up with the ship and why they are now so desperate to get on board as they see something has changed.

It also offers the intriguing possibility of them passing somewhere Destiny has been before.

Comment

My theory on the Destiny mission is that the Ancients wanted to inhabit the whole universe. Too far-fetched?
      sigpic
      "The insurance says we're good for Red Dwarf stars, but Blue Giants and we lose our no claims bonus"

Comment

I have another theory. Rush wants to be on Destiny at any cost. The reason why he came here was ascension (1x08 Time) and in a recent interview with Robert Carlyle he said that
        (Supermassive spoiler)
        Spoiler:
        "Destiny's mission has to do something with traveling to the beginning of the time itself..."
        What if the Ancients wanted to gain the knowledge about the universe, technologies and other species in order to ascend? Of course, they could discover something that was able to help them with ascension, but it was located billions of light years away, so there was no way how to reach it in short time. So, they sent Destiny to collect those informations (technology, whatever...) and after gaining this, Destiny was supposed to go back in time and space back to Earth, so for Ancients it would took maximally few days/months/years to reach this knowledge, but Destiny would get millions of years older by that time? It could also easily save our crew since the Ancients would have no problem with sending them to the future by wormhole and the sun.

Schematics

They are coming...Smurfs!

Comment

Originally posted by TENTHIUS View Post
          I have another theory. Rush wants to be on Destiny at any cost. The reason why he came here was ascension (1x08 Time) and in a recent interview with Robert Carlyle he said that
          (Supermassive spoiler)
          Spoiler:
          "Destiny's mission has to do something with traveling to the beginning of the time itself..."
          What if the Ancients wanted to gain the knowledge about the universe, technologies and other species in order to ascend? Of course, they could discover something that was able to help them with ascension, but it was located billions of light years away, so there was no way how to reach it in short time. So, they sent Destiny to collect those informations (technology, whatever...) and after gaining this, Destiny was supposed to go back in time and space back to Earth, so for Ancients it would took maximally few days/months/years to reach this knowledge, but Destiny would get millions of years older by that time? It could also easily save our crew since the Ancients would have no problem with sending them to the future by wormhole and the sun.

Schematics
          wow that is a huge spoiler... I mean that would mean
          Spoiler:
          That Destiny may have already completed its mission in another timeline, hence the ancients in our timeline ascended and never came aboard destiny
          Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

(Supermassive spoiler)
            Spoiler:
            Do you have a source to go with that? It looks dubious at best.

Comment

WOW OMG that was a huge spoiler. For the love of jebus, don't read that spoiler or mine.

Spoiler:
              So not only does that mean the Destiny has made it home, but what is this piece of technology that the Destiny is suppose to get? Also I don't know if I buy this because why would they make a 9th chevron to get to the Destiny??

But I guess we will find out, at least somewhat, in this season.

Comment

(Supermassive spoiler)
                Spoiler:

Schematics
                Love it! Excellent theory.

Originally posted by Blistna View Post
                WOW OMG that was a huge spoiler. For the love of jebus, don't read that spoiler or mine.

Spoiler:
                So not only does that mean the Destiny has made it home, but what is this piece of technology that the Destiny is suppose to get? Also I don't know if I buy this because why would they make a 9th chevron to get to the Destiny??

But I guess we will find out, at least somewhat, in this season.
                That's also very true, and could almost invalidate the above theory. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

Excellent discussion, folks.

Comment

No. Enough of this tampering with time. Causality is not to be treated so lightly! (MOROS, SGA S01E15)
                  Spoiler:
                  Besides, we don't have any evidence of time travel technology until SGA S01E15, that is 10ky ago. Unless they use stargates themselves which have already been used for this purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by mmu_man View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Besides, we don't have any evidence of time travel technology until SGA S01E15, that is 10ky ago. Unless they use stargates themselves which have already been used for this purpose...
                    Spoiler:
                    there is that device on some planet in some episode that i can't remember the name to. The time device the Ancients built as a last ditch effort to stop the plague. Which failed because all it did was send the user/s into a time loop. Believe that device pre-dates Janus's time device by a few million years.

Comment

I thought about the idea of the Ancients sending Destiny out in the universe on a multi-million year mision to find a race as advanced as them. But than i thought to myself, these are the Ancient's they must've known how long a mission like that would take. They also must have considered the very real possibility that this race they wanted to meet could be long gone by the time the ship reaches is destination.

Comment

Originally posted by boyd22 View Post
                        Spoiler:
                        there is that device on some planet in some episode that i can't remember the name to. The time device the Ancients built as a last ditch effort to stop the plague. Which failed because all it did was send the user/s into a time loop. Believe that device pre-dates Janus's time device by a few million years.
                        The one from Window of opportunity. That was not that old.. If anything i think Jannus worked on it after they got back from the pegasus galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                          The one from Window of opportunity. That was not that old.. If anything i think Jannus worked on it after they got back from the pegasus galaxy.
                          Err... the control interface was clearly pre-Lantean.

Comment

I take it at the point of Destiny's creation that ascension was just a theory or something they were working towards for the ancients?

They could have been swaggering about thinking themselves the top of the heap as far as technology then detected something that blew their minds, perhaps a galaxy appearing too fast to be natural or something. The Destiny building ancients then planned to go to these super advanced aliens believing them to be a true civilisation of ascended beings but before the mission got under way the ancients managed it on their own.

Also what happened to the guy who sat in the chair, if he disappeared does that mean any ancient who sat in the chair would have also? Could this be some early form of suspended animation using transporters for the extremely long voyage?
                            Last edited by Zleet; 16 October 2010, 02:54 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by thenimf View Post
                              Err... the control interface was clearly pre-Lantean.
                              Hmm it looks right like the table Merlin created in his various secret lairs, which is way after Atlantis left.
                              But OTH, it is also the same interface that is used in the device on Dakara, which was created to reseed life in the MW.
                              So yeah, it doesn't really say anything about the epoch it was created.

Comment

Working...
                              X