This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie Gate VS Show Gate

I was watching Stargate (1994) this evening and it occured to me that there are a few differences with the movie gate, as compared to the ever popular show gate.

First off, the chevrons. If you notice in the movies, chevrons 1-6 do not activate the same way that we see them in the show. In the movie they move in, open up, close, and then move out. Note also that there is no color shift. The stone inbetween the pieces of metal does not turn orange. It stays grey.

The only one that seems to change is the 7th, activating chevron. When activated it turns orange.

Also, the sound is more high pitched. It is not a scraping metal against metal sound.

Secondly the event horizon. Not only does it activate completely differently, but during it's open time, it's look is very different. The show depicts the event horizon to be a mix of water and metal, swimming together. In the movie it is more like white, blue and silver hexagons jumping in and out. The lighting is also more vibrant in the show.

Finally the dimensions. To me the movie gate seems to be thinner, and sleeker. It also seems to move more smoothly, when operating.

So I ask you, what gate do you prefer. The movie gate? Or do you choose the show gate?

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
    I was watching Stargate (1994) this evening and it occured to me that there are a few differences with the movie gate, as compared to the ever popular show gate.

First off, the chevrons. If you notice in the movies, chevrons 1-6 do not activate the same way that we see them in the show. In the movie they move in, open up, close, and then move out. Note also that there is no color shift. The stone inbetween the pieces of metal does not turn orange. It stays grey.

The only one that seems to change is the 7th, activating chevron. When activated it turns orange.

Also, the sound is more high pitched. It is not a scraping metal against metal sound.

Secondly the event horizon. Not only does it activate completely differently, but during it's open time, it's look is very different. The show depicts the event horizon to be a mix of water and metal, swimming together. In the movie it is more like white, blue and silver hexagons jumping in and out. The lighting is also more vibrant in the show.

Finally the dimensions. To me the movie gate seems to be thinner, and sleeker. It also seems to move more smoothly, when operating.

So I ask you, what gate do you prefer. The movie gate? Or do you choose the show gate?
    I noticed all of the points you mentioned and agree that the movie gate appears to be more appealing in that it's thinner and sleeker and the puddle effect appears more fluidic, more watery rather than shimmering metal/water. However, I think the lighting was more vibrant in the movie with glimmers, shadows, and spectacular surround effects. I also think the transitional wormhole effect (when they actually enter and are molecularly dissassembled and transferred to the planet) was better done in the movie with a more disturbing and effective sound/visual effect.

Of course, the movie had a bigger budget and wanted a dramatic and unique effect. Nevertheless, the show gate has more mobility, colour, and interesting effects. The addition of the DHD (for other gates) is cool too.

It's a toss up, both have their pros and cons.

Good post, DFA. You made some great observations.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
      I noticed all of the points you mentioned and agree that the movie gate appears to be more appealing in that it's thinner and sleeker and the puddle effect appears more fluidic, more watery rather than shimmering metal/water. However, I think the lighting was more vibrant in the movie with glimmers, shadows, and spectacular surround effects. I also think the transitional wormhole effect (when they actually enter and are molecularly dissassembled and transferred to the planet) was better done in the movie with a more disturbing and effective sound/visual effect.

Of course, the movie had a bigger budget and wanted a dramatic and unique effect. Nevertheless, the show gate has more mobility, colour, and interesting effects. The addition of the DHD (for other gates) is cool too.

It's a toss up, both have their pros and cons.

Good post, DFA. You made some great observations.
      Thank you for your response. And I agree, both do have their pros and cons.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

there is a lot about this on the gateworld faq

http://www.gateworld.net/faq.shtml#5.1
        gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
        so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
        love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
          there is a lot about this on the gateworld faq

http://www.gateworld.net/faq.shtml#5.1
          Really? I don't see anything related to what I am talking about. But if you'd like to join in on our conversation, maybe add something....feel free to join.

Comment

Both gates have their pros and cons. The effects for the movie gate looked real nice, especially the water effects. The SG-1 gate effects are also good, but if you look at it from a production point of view, the differences become obvious for apparent reasons:

-The SG-1 gate effects are a little simpler, and easier to produce. Since they are obviously going to be using the same effects quite a bit, something that was high-quality, yet relatively easy to produce (but yet, keeping to the general look of the movie gate's effects) was in order. The result is what you see now eveytime SG-1's gates open.
            -The producers of SG-1 wanted to keep the TV series distinct from the movie. Using similar, but slightly different effects easily achieves this purpose.
            -SG-1 needed to give it's gate "some personality" so to speak. The rasping metal noise made by the rotating inner track. The individual chevron's lighting up as they are dialed. The differences in the water effects. The Iris. The DHD. All these things, though quirky to some, are all things that give the SG-1 gate's their "own personality." Takes away any of these elements, and the "gate just wouldn't be the same."

There are probably other reasons the changes were made, too. For whatever reasons the changes were made, I'm not bothered by them (nor did I really notice until now!).

Comment

I personally like the movie gate better. The puddle was much more impressive. I especially liked how bright it was. When Daniel is standing alone in front of it and it's so bright it's hard to look at the screen. That was very nice. As well as how reflective it is. The series' gate doesn't do that mirror thing. Too bad.

But then SG-1 has a lesser budget.
              May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

The movie gate was repaired and is now used as the offworld gate.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  Really? I don't see anything related to what I am talking about. But if you'd like to join in on our conversation, maybe add something....feel free to join.
                  The movie had a bigger budget and could splurge on certain effects while the show most likely had very limited funds at first. I did read where TPTB had to recreate the event horizon and the "swoosh" effects. They did their best not knowing exactly how it was done in the movie...or if they did know how it was done, I'm sure it came down to economics, because the show obviously opens more gates than the movie ever let us imagine, but as they say: JIMHO

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                    The movie had a bigger budget and could splurge on certain effects while the show most likely had very limited funds at first. I did read where TPTB had to recreate the event horizon and the "swoosh" effects. They did their best not knowing exactly how it was done in the movie...or if they did know how it was done, I'm sure it came down to economics, because the show obviously opens more gates than the movie ever let us imagine, but as they say: JIMHO
                    I think I saw a Making-Of thing years ago where they explained the ka-whooosh was made by filming an underwater explosion (like a depth charge) then editing it into the image.

Comment

I personally prefer the movie gate. It's chevron's had a "Thumping" effect when they engaged with all that click in, click out, lock stuff.

I don't really think much of the wormhole thing really. To be honest I was more impressed with the look and feel of the gate itself.

BTW, what actually happened to the Movie gate? - Please don't tell me it went on ebay

-DT

Green to Captain Jake

Comment

heres what TPTB never let on, When Apophis dialed in it updated the our Stargate!! Think about it and it fits...

Comment

It was put in storage somewhere in the desert (originally Stargate was going to be aseries of movies.) when they went to use it for the tv show it was falling apart but there was enough left of it to make a mould where our gate now proudly stands.
                          Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

I can't actually say which one I like better because there are aspects I love from both. I like the symbols being ingraved better rather than sticking out, I also think the wormhole from the movie is better, the appearance, the transition and spiralling at the back of the gate. Everything else is better on the series gate, the chevrons lighting up, the spinning and sound effects are better, also the ramp, I like the wider ramp rather than the small one used in the movie.

Comment

Don't the constellations on the movie gate go inwards and the ones on the SG1 gate go outwards?
                              sigpic
                              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Working...
                              X