Young and the LA prisoners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young and the LA prisoners

I hope this doesn't seem like a repeat of some earlier threads, but I just wanted to make a few comments on the way Young is treating the LA prisoners. Apparently the remaining LA members have struck a deal with Earth where they're trading information to stay on the ship. So, does that mean that Young actually expects to keep them locked in that one room for however many months (or longer) they're stuck on Destiny? I think Wray had several valid points about how they should be receiving better treatment, at the very least to encourage them to share information to protect Earth. At the very least they should be given quarters (kept under guard of course). There are only nine of them, I can't believe that there aren't enough military personnel on Destiny to keep an eye on nine prisoners if they're split up.

The second problem is that Young won't let them help with problems on the ship. Ginn is a scientist, and Koz has medical training, at the very least they should be helping out, under close observation. Ginn offered to help, and Young didn't even consider the idea.

Young seems to be under the impression that because he is the military leader on the ship he has absolute authority. He didn't even want to share information about what was happening with Telford, who has equivalent rank and is entitled to know what is going on. I think Telford handled the situation really well, if I was the one who was being kept out of the loop I would have started yelling. My problem with Young's attitude is that he's not the most stable person, and he's not thinking things through logically. He refuses to allow anyone to act in a way that is contrary to how he wants things to go. That is something which is already causing problems, and will most likely continue to cause problems down the road.
    sigpic

Find your Destiny

Young is being rather uptight about this situation, but to be fair it cannot have been more than a few days. Personally I can't blame him for being cautious (Simeon is trouble waiting to happen), but on a provisional basis he needs to start working with them.

Comment

I think most of it is cause it was the LA who caused TJ to lose her baby...

Comment

It wouldn't be the first time Young makes irrational decisions influenced by personal feelings. Wray made some very good points. They can't keep them locked up in that room forever.
        sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rylor View Post
          It wouldn't be the first time Young makes irrational decisions influenced by personal feelings. Wray made some very good points. They can't keep them locked up in that room forever.
          Sure they can. It can be Destiny's own brig.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Yeah. I was always a Young supporter, but he's seriously out of line. They're prisoners, they have no rights! Oookay...Friggin psycho.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              Unless they want it to become a tomb as well, no, they can't keep 'em there forever.

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
                Unless they want it to become a tomb as well, no, they can't keep 'em there forever.
                We have the weapons. We can force them not to kill one another like any prison
                Jelgate is right

Comment

It was not meant literally. Sure they could keep them in there as long as they want. But what good would that serve? It would just alienate the people with intel on the Lucian Alliance and skills. In the long run, they need everyone on board to do something, and the prisoners have shown they could be useful members of the crew (except for Simeon, who is too unstable). Of course, they should be kept under surveillance for the time being, but Young isn't even giving them a chance to prove themselves.
                  sigpic

Comment

We have the weapons. We can force them not to kill one another like any prison
                    Not what I meant.

Comment

Given that the LA is an invading force that resulted not only in the death of one of Young's men but in the death of his child and the harm caused to his former lover, I'd say the LA is lucky to be drawing air. Rights? What rights does an invading force have? They're being fed. They're not being tortured. What, like earth has done so great with their help that they should be listened to?
                      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                        Given that the LA is an invading force that resulted not only in the death of one of Young's men but in the death of his child and the harm caused to his former lover, I'd say the LA is lucky to be drawing air. Rights? What rights does an invading force have? They're being fed. They're not being tortured. What, like earth has done so great with their help that they should be listened to?
                        Totally agree, they are being treated humainly fed etc, they are prisoners of war.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                          Destiny has limited manpower and resources. They can't afford to waste their talents like that, in the long term. Sure, Young has personal reasons not to trust them, but that only confirms that he is not a particurlarly good leader. Without Varro, Young and the other military personnel would already be dead. He put his life at risk for them, without any real need or obligation to do so. Young seems to forget that fact.

Also, I agree that the Lucian Alliance was an invading force, but for all we know not all of them were voluntary members. Given what we know about the Lucian Alliance, I can easily believe that Ginn's story was true, and who knows how many of them have similar stories to tell?
                          sigpic

Comment

Destiny has limited manpower and resources. They can't afford to waste their talents like that, in the long term. Sure, Young has personal reasons not to trust them, but that only confirms that he is not a particurlarly good leader. Without Varro, Young and the other military personnel would already be dead. He put his life at risk for them, without any real need or obligation to do so. Young seems to forget that fact.

Also, I agree that the Lucian Alliance was an invading force, but for all we know not all of them were voluntary members. Given what we know about the Lucian Alliance, I can easily believe that Ginn's story was true, and who knows how many of them have similar stories to tell?
                            It takes little to resources to lock a few people in the cargo bay to keep them detained. They wouldn't have lost people if it wasn't for the Alliance so they have that against them. I believe accessory to murder carries more then a few weeks.
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Did Young gamble on Varro? Yep. Still doesn't make Varro into something other than a member of the LA. Who put their life at risk for whom? You're not clear on this. Did Varro put his life at risk? Young? Did they both gamble? Yeah. People take gambles all the time. When those gambles are made by military men and are successful, they're respected as daring and innovative by history. The fact that the ship is back in the hands of the Destiny crew with a minimal loss of life would seem to be a success to me but history will have to tell that one.

As for who volunteered and who didn't, who's to say? Anybody can say anything to save their own skin and just because a member of the LA makes the claim doesn't make it so. What doesn't change is the simple fact that the LA is a criminal organization that's apparently at war with earth and that they invaded the Destiny. That much can be stated as fact. everything else is someone's word.

Granted, if Young didn't have such a personal stake in the matter, he may see it differently, and I believe that, at least where a few of them are concerned, he will see it differently, but I don't think we're there yet.
                              sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                              X