No announcement yet.

District 9 Prawns in SGU?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're on the other side of the universe, still bipeds, 2 eyes, 2 arms, thumbs, sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
      We're on the other side of the universe, still bipeds, 2 eyes, 2 arms, thumbs, sigh.
      You know I was thinking the same thing. But really think of any kind of creature that could develop anything? Arms are essential to erecting structures, as well as thumbs. If you can't grip a basic tool like a stick, or tie a rock to a stick to make a crude mallet, than you as a species will not progress. Arms and thumbs needed. A form of mobility, needed, so we have legs, although it might be cool to see a winged alien whose feet have become their arms! But, that creature couldn't fit on the seeder ship.

So, 1. Arms, thumbs, mobility essential to developting structure and civilization
      2. Seeder ship is designed for creatures with Arms, thumbs, and mobility that doesn't take up lots of space. So other species, while possibly interested in it, wouldn't stay there because they physically couldn't use the ship.

Eyes, while not needed, they are still useful when dealing with visual consoles. I'd imagine a society that lacks vision would have developed recordings much quicker than written languages, because written languages would be useless. So again, eyes, needed for this ship at least. Sure you can say one eye, but one eye is ridiculous. So you would have to have multiple eyes like an arachnid. I don't know other creatures with multiple eyes. But there are flies with the complex eye structure.

Two eyes make sense evolutionary, give you three dimensions. Complex eyes make sense too, allows you to see much clearer and sense the slightest movement. But they are still two whole eye sockets. Arachnids, I really have no idea why they have eight Eyes.

So that is why you have creatures with arms, thumbs, and eyes, two of each. Other proportions are hard to make sense out of. But I did think that, again with a bird. Its wings could become arms, and then the species would have long arms coming from their back instead of their shoulders, and have almost no neck. But I think the feet becoming arms and wings being the mobility is probably more likely. And the wings would have to become like a hummingbird to provide stability and a hover position to build structures, etc.
      Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
        I think we need to make a pool. What aliens looks better? The Blue aliens or the Gate ship aliens. I go with the Gate ship ones.
        I like the look of both but the gate ship aliens looked more lifelike to me, they blended in better than the blues imo.

Comment

The distance doesn't matter as far as evolution is concerned. Besides, I'd rather have realistic aliens that fits the evolution theory. Also, any kind of non-bipedal races would probably not be able to breathe in our atmosphere.

Comment

Originally posted by Aewon View Post
            The distance doesn't matter as far as evolution is concerned. Besides, I'd rather have realistic aliens that fits the evolution theory.
            They don't really fit the science any more than any other alien would. Evolution doesn't predict bipedal life.

Also, any kind of non-bipedal races would probably not be able to breathe in our atmosphere.
            Strange assertion given how many non-bipedal species do breathe our atmosphere.

Comment

Midgit prawns maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                They don't really fit the science any more than any other alien would. Evolution doesn't predict bipedal life.

Strange assertion given how many non-bipedal species do breathe our atmosphere.
                No but the more limbs you need the more resources a brain would need to operate an control them, the fewers limbs you have to control the more brain processes can be assign to other area such as language an developing tools an science. Of cause you could off set this by having a bigger brain overall but that also requires more energy to operate which means more resources being used to actually finding food an hunting instead of developing tools an language an culture.

Why I am sure two leg an two arms an two eyes are not only way a intelligence species could evolve, I am also sure you not going to see many technological species with 2 hundred limbs an 20 eyes. There is probably a middle ground some where that is the most optimal an most likely combination that would lead a intelligence technological advance species. At least when dealing with carbon based lifeforms.

Comment

Bipedal means you walk on two limbs, it doesn't mean you have less overall.

Comment

As long as it ends with someone exploding like a water balloon when hit by a lightning gun it's all ok by me.

I vote Chlo..., Nah Young's been annoying me more lately.

ZaaaaaPOP

Comment

but the bipedal, two arms, one head, two eyes, etc arrangement is, energy-wise, a VERY cheap configuration. intelligent aliens become intelligent because, well, they weren't physically powerful. of our ape/monkey family, you can clearly see that they chose power, or a midway between power and intellect. and we chose intellect.

things in nature are about energy. it's ALL about energy. some creatures have multiple legs because it's an energy investment they need. cheeta are built to go that fast because, to them, it's an energy investment that works. brains require large amounts of energy. they require oxygen (the only organ which can not produce energy without oxygen). a quadrupedal alien with two arms will have a greater total energy investment, but does not necessarily pay itself back.

Comment

You're not taking into account environment that are either so rich in energy that this isn't an issue, or environment were less energy is required, i.e. low gravity. There might be ahalf decent argument for bipedal intelligent life being the most efficient on an Earth-like planet, but that's about it.

Comment

A lot of things have evolved independently on earth two eyes is a major one.

An invertebrate sentient would be cool something descended from squids and octopus like creatures. Blue blood (copper based) tentacles to manipulate tools and move around perhaps reinforced with exoskeleton to give additional strength it would be interesting to see what people come up with by thinking it through

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

from the concept art ive seen, there will be unnaturnal looking aliens coming up
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X