Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with they are nice here and there crowd but if over used they become corny and redundant. It's like oh here comes the song. Maybe they should consider reducing them in frequency. They are also going to make this show seem very period and dated in a few years. Maybe that's good or bad but there's a reason why classical scores seem more timeless - because they are.
    sigpic

Comment

While i do agree a good montage can make an ep ending better, a poor one can kill it. Personally i would rather less song montages, and more just musical ones.

Comment

I like them. If they start doing bohemian rhapsody at the end leaving only 20 minutes for the ep, I'll begin to hate them. But the thought of an SGU version of guitar hero might be interesting. Slightly better than SGU the documentary.

Comment

I don't really mind them, some of them are actually kinda cool, but I also think that they shouldn't be used too much because it can get a bit eye rolling when its used all the time and not everyone is going to like the type music used so they might find it extra annoying
          sigpic

Comment

But where else am I going to discover cool new music I like? THINK OF ME!!!!

In all seriousness, I like them, but they need to do them less frequently. If I had a choice, I'd prefer more episode.

Comment

Don't care either way. They don't ruin an episode but little to enhance it except for Air III. That had awesome music
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
                It's a stylistic choice and they obviously aren't going to get rid of it.
                Which is too bad.

I'd be happy if they got rid of it. It's too 'Grey's Anatomy' in space to me with all that contemporary music.
                sigpic
                Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Jackson View Post
                  But where else am I going to discover cool new music I like? THINK OF ME!!!!

In all seriousness, I like them, but they need to do them less frequently. If I had a choice, I'd prefer more episode.
                  In a gentlemens club like the rest of us. Sad but true, most of the discovery of cool music for me anyway happened over there. Something about dancers with money that helps them help me discover the hot new artists (in music). Given a club with a decent sound system, and young bucks that still have a shread of optimism despite their situation. Tori Amos, Sarah McLaughlin and many others heard there first, six plus months before they were ever pop culture. And a few others that should have been pop culture, but never made it there (in this country).

But that was long before facebook and youtube.

Comment

I felt it took me right out of what had just happened - it would have been better to have ended with the scene with Telford being surrounded and that eerie/quirky music.

The use of music as queried by the OP in the way seems to either creates the need for private reflective moments or gives them more importance - sometimes I'd rather like the characters actually saying lines to emote - two minutes of not a word spoken adds up.
                    sigpic
                    Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

I have no problem with the use of contemporary music in and of itself. When done well - which I think most, perhaps all, of the SGU examples have been - it can be a useful and powerful storytelling tool. It's not exclusively in soap/teen drama territory, either - shows like The Shield do it on occasion.

My only problem with it on SGU would be that while each individual use has been done well, they've done it in a few episodes too many.

Comment

I really like it personally, it allows them to quickly show things happening on Destiny without making a big production about it and it sets the emotional tone of events happening.
                        sigpic

Comment

Mostly, I liked the music used in the montages, especially in "Air", "Sabotage" and "Intervention". Although I admit I did not like all of them, I have nothing against them in general.
                          sigpic

"Were you expecting Stairway to Heaven?!"

Comment

Heh, I made a thread like this awhile back in the general SGU thread. I wanted to express my opinion and get a read on what other people thought (but apparently there were quite a few whinging about me doing so). Still, what I found was interesting. At best, it was divided roughly 50/50 on people who like and dislike them. At worst, there was a clear majority of people who didn't like them.

So, if I had to guess percentages, it would go something like this:

Like - 30%
                            Dislike - 40%
                            Mostly indifferent as long as they aren't overused - 30%

And withing that last group, most felt that the montages were overused. So there does appear to be a clear majority that would at least appreciate less montages being used. While I would like 95% of them to vanish, I would agree to a compromise of less being used, as they don't add anything, and indeed, they take things away.

It's opportunity cost. When you use a montage, you take away time you could use to have the characters explain something. I'm sure everyone here has things they would like cleared up, that COULD be cleared up if they gave a few minutes. Well, too bad. you ain't gettin' your explanations, but you can have this cheesy song and a bunch of predictable scenes!

How predictable? I'm making this prediction: there will be another music montage at the end of the next episode. It's entitled Pathogen, and seems to revolve around Chloe and her changes, so the montage will be made up of people being sad at the episode's events. Young will probably be drinking in one.

Tell me I'll be wrong.

Of course, I can't blame them, because I have a feeling they've discovered a new cash cow; getting paid to include the music. You think they'll give that up? Probably not. But I'm turning it into an opportunity cost for them. Sure, they can get paid for it... but they won't get "paid" from me watching their show (and indeed, I'm canceling my cable because SGU was about the only show left on TV I wanted to watch). I won't recommend the show to people I know anymore, and instead, will tell them to watch other shows (I'm pretty big into anime at the moment, of which there are a ton of good things to watch).

So, JM, if you do read this, congrats on your choice. Perhaps it's not really your choice, but you seem to really support the idea, and perhaps you really don't care if SGU gets renewed, or if the movies never get made after all. You're God, you have your vision, and not much we say means much, eh?

Comment

In most cases, whatever the subject, the people that dislike something are much more vocal and willing to participate in a complaining thread than supporters who like something but don't get going about it. Especially in forum land!
                              sigpic

Comment

does anybody know the title of the song in episode 3?

Comment

Working...
                                X