Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENOUGH ALREADY with the sappy song montages!

A good piece of score music is just as, if not more effective, especially when you have an excellent composer who has created a great musical identity for the show!. The songs are jarring and do not keep the emotional tone, if anything it just takes us away from the characters.

It's a stylistic choice and they obviously aren't going to get rid of it.

Comment

But one that's seriously killing the show, it already has enough haters, and doesnt need any more.
      Tonight's ep was excellent, the best of season 2 and better than half of the season 1 eps, tonally it was perfect from the start, right up to the point when the song started and it just made me laugh and want to switch off. The ending ruined an otherwise perfect episode IMO.

Comment

I dont see a problem with them, would you prefer the episode to just end?

Comment

Well the TPTB, will continue with the retarded music.

None of our opinions will have an influence on the outcome.According to the writers they are being "different" and different is always better isn't it right? that's their logic at least.

Comment

I think they are a fantastic way to end an episode
            Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

Once in a while for poignancy is fine but overdoing it causes a 'not again' response from me.

Also, if you didn't like the singer the first time, now it's twice as bad.

My opinion. Otherwise a great ep!

Comment

Man, I've just grown used to them. It's not even 'Oh here we go' anymore, it's 'Well, it is SGU...' I'll live with 'em.
                ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Hi. I'm a long time lurker and somebody who welcomed the changes in tone and direction with Stargate Universe, but I cannot tolerate these indie-musical montages any longer. They were over-used by the second half of season one. LOST knew to stop using them within their first season (even acknowledging it with Hurley's portable CD player breaking down).

I think they're good for 'ice-breaking' a new audience into identifying with the tone and despite my personal gripes I know they're still trying to gain audience with this being the start of a new season and all, but if they continue every other episode with these all season they're going to have the opposite effect. It feels forced and cheesy.

Agreed with the poster who commented that the in-show score is distinct and strong enough to carry the tone and emotion of moments in the show. One of the most musically powerful moments of SGU for me was in the pilot when they were in the desert trying to find water and there was a montage of everyone in their varying situations, and the score was EPIC.

Comment

I don't like them very much, but they're the least of my worries.
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

i like them. i like how it shows the "aftermath" of the episode. some find it too obvious. i find it powerful. nice song with fitting scenes.

Comment

The song from the previous episode was awesome and really captured the mood . This ones was pretty meah and, until the moment when they will use "Drops of Jupiter" on the background, I don't find them so annoying to make me complain.
                        "Gegen diesen Idioten muss ich verlieren!" (A. Nimzowitsch)

Comment

It took it away from a decent ending as well. Telford being surrounded and Destiny jumping would have been the perfect ending. Instead they went with the overly dramatic approach where everyone is moping around, Again. Everyone is doing nothing, Again. The slow musical montage should be a rarity, and should fit with the pace.

They try way too hard to make a "dark and edgy" Stargate.

Comment

Well said. Whether the next season will be picked up is at the top.....
                            Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
                            I don't like them very much, but they're the least of my worries.

Comment

I like the music montages. Not a big fan of this one, but the song used in "Intervention" made the ep even moar better.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X