Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spyglass question....If the MGM takeover does happen, does that mean...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spyglass question....If the MGM takeover does happen, does that mean...

...that one company has the copyrights to both Stargate and Star Trek ?

And if the answers is yes, will that rewrite to rules for crossover lovers ? And what about the books ? Could Fandemonium be at risk of losing the novels to Simon and Schuster ? (Or the other way around, could the Star Trek novel universe end up moving publishers ?)
    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Or maybe since that studio made a star trek Movie, could they do the same for stargate one could only hope..

Comment

I wouldn't expect a Crossover. People would react badly and it really serves no point.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Unamed View Post
        Or maybe since that studio made a star trek Movie, could they do the same for stargate one could only hope..
        Not as long as Devlin holds theartircal rights to Stargate
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

I would love a movie now would they go for SG1 movie or a sequel to the original movie

Comment

Yeah, I doubt they'd make a crossover.
            I mean, if they did, it would be a time and dimension jump, but utterly pointless, because the worlds are too different. They wouldn't be able to help each other much in advancing themselves. And any plot would be shot down fairly quickly by fans.

Stargate and Star Trek are just not meant to mix (On screen anyway. I have nothing against x-over fics )
            Besides, they're both winning formulas, why risk ruining them?
            │▌║█▌││║█ █║│██│║║
            .Browncoat.Gater.Trekkie.
            Aftermath Lyall 'Bean' Benedict New Seasons

Comment

Originally posted by Janus View Post
              ...that one company has the copyrights to both Stargate and Star Trek ?

And if the answers is yes, will that rewrite to rules for crossover lovers ? And what about the books ? Could Fandemonium be at risk of losing the novels to Simon and Schuster ? (Or the other way around, could the Star Trek novel universe end up moving publishers ?)

Star Trek is owned by Paramount.
              sigpic
              Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                Star Trek is owned by Paramount.
                That's the thing...It's a bit vague. Wikipedia gives me the impression that it is actually not that clear, because it appears CBS has some influence as well.
                sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

That's the thing...It's a bit vague. Wikipedia gives me the impression that it is actually not that clear, because it appears CBS has some influence as well.
                  LOL!

Wikipedia shouldn't be the go to place for reliable information.

Yet, amazingly, it is.
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                    LOL!

Wikipedia shouldn't be the go to place for reliable information.

Yet, amazingly, it is.
                    Indeed *Raises eyebrow*
                    sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

There was a company called Viacom, which was optionally created from CBS and later wound up owning CBS, Paramount Studios, publishing houses, radio stations, and a whole bunch of cable and smaller broadcast networks (e.g. UPN). Then in 2005 Viacom and CBS split up. The deal is that anything that goes on TV goes to CBS, so CBS had control over the remastering of TOS and controls the television syndication rights to the TV franchises (and presumably any future TV shows). Anything related to the movies is under control of Viacom whose major studio is Paramount Pictures. So that means that distribution rights for the next movie will be through Paramount. Trek 2009 was a co-production with Spyglass, but I think Viacom has control over the first ten. Also, I think they could take those rights away from Spyglass for any future Trek movies. I don't know which side is handling books, I would imagine it is CBS.

Of course Paramount got control over the franchise in the first place when it purchased Desilu which produced Trek.

Comment

Working...
                      X