The Buried Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Buried Gate

Did anyone notice that the gate was burried horizontally.
    Yet they managed to get it into the upright position pretty easily.
    That is one heck of a feat for a few poeple considering how heavy the gate is and they had no equipmet for a lift.

i think it fell over in its platform and could be turned back up easily.

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
      That is one heck of a feat for a few poeple considering how heavy the gate is and they had no equipmet for a lift.
      been done in numerous other threads, someone posted up pictures, if you look closely you can see it is burried vertically not horizontally. Greer was standing on the apex of the arch of the gate.
      Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

The gate is vertical. Here's some screecaps:

[click the images for full size]

Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

No. Just no. I did not notice it was buried horizontally. I noticed it was buried vertically. I honestly have no idea how people noticed otherwise - even if I didn't see the evidence of Greer standing on top of the ring or whatever, I would think it would just be more logical to the viewer that the four or five people digging the gate out didn't need to turn it rightways - it already was. This has really been done to death in the actual discussion thread, and here's a good picture PG15 brought in:

Any dissenters?
          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

yep all the way up the thread
            the gate was buried standing up, as Greer is standing on top of the ring
            definitely not horizontal
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by morsu View Post
              The Gate does seem like it was vertical. I think it would have been a far greater feat to clear away all the dirt and rocks to expose the gate than to raise it. It would require moving hundreds if not thousands of tons of dirt and rocks and would have likely taken weeks by hand. Not only would they have to excavate around the gate but away from it to prevent the earth from collapsing back around it. It could never have been done in the time they had.
              Last edited by Blackhole; 09 October 2010, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                The Gate does seem like it was vertical. I think it would have been a far greater feat to clear away all the dirt and rocks to expose the gate than to raise it. It would require moving hundreds if not thousands of tons of dirt and rocks and would have likely taken weeks by hand. Not only would they have to excavate around the gate but away from it to prevent the earth from collapsing back around it. It could never have been done in the time they had.
                Agreed that they cleared it a little too easily, but it could be done by hand eventually. Raising it would have been utterly impossible however. A gate weighs something like 26,000 pounds (if I remember correctly) and they would not have been able to move it under any circumstances.

They could have still used it if was face up, and then jumped into it after it dialed, but if it was face down they would have had a big problem.

Comment

They used explosives to speed up the process considerably. Given that it was buried in loose rock, they would have been very effective at moving a lot of the rocks every time a charge was set off.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Thus proving that there are few things you cannot solve with liberal use of kaboom.
                    Last edited by morbosfist; 09 October 2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      They used explosives to speed up the process considerably. Given that it was buried in loose rock, they would have been very effective at moving a lot of the rocks every time a charge was set off.
                      I love when they were worried about that little bit of C4 detonating the naquadah of the gate. We have seen those things hit with comets, nuked (even a mark IX won't destroy one unless it is behind the gate to prevent the gate from absorbing the explosion), and even thrown into a star, and they kept working... that little brick of C4 wouldn't have even scratched the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Descended View Post
                        I love when they were worried about that little bit of C4 detonating the naquadah of the gate. We have seen those things hit with comets, nuked (even a mark IX won't destroy one unless it is behind the gate to prevent the gate from absorbing the explosion), and even thrown into a star, and they kept working... that little brick of C4 wouldn't have even scratched the paint.
                        Thats what I was thinking, uhh it survived a nuke going off inside a hive ship right beside it, which gave off enough power to make the gate jump to super size.

Comment

Eli isn't working off a detailed instruction manual. He hasn't dealt with all this. All he's got to go on is Daniel's instructional videos, and I must assume Daniel simply glossed over some of the more intricate details.

Volker has slightly less of an excuse, but maybe he's a recent hire.

Comment

Sorry my Mistake the gate was indeed Verticle.
                            This begs the question though because the amount of rubble that came towards the gate whether it be from any direction would have knocked the gate clean over. I don't care how sturdy the support structure is.

Maybe there was primitive life on that planet and they themselves burried the gate in rocks because they were scared.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                              yep all the way up the thread
                              the gate was buried standing up, as Greer is standing on top of the ring
                              definitely not horizontal
                              quoted so hopefully people realize this.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X