Epileptic stargate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epileptic stargate?

Maybe this was explained and I didn't realize it, but why did the planet's stargate start shaking when it got close to being unburied? (at which point Eli shouts to clear the event horizon)

At first I thought it was because the Destiny was dialing in, but if that were the case, the group down on the planet wouldn't have been able to dial out to the Destiny.

Sure, this is a minor nitpick considering the gravity of the episode, but I was curious nonetheless.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Maybe being burried damanaged the gate or its the sesemic activity. Or maybe thats whats happens when you dial a locked out gate
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

It was shaking because someone was dialling but the path was blocked by debris, albeit a trivial amount that arguably should not have stopped a connection.

Comment

I think it was just seismic activity.
        sigpic
        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
        "...phu...ah..."
        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

at first i thought it was because destiny starting to dial than eli somehow manages to get through first. eli even says someone is trying to dial.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by morbosfist View Post
            It was shaking because someone was dialling but the path was blocked by debris, albeit a trivial amount that arguably should not have stopped a connection.
            When Greer says "Hey Science Guys, it's Shaking" Eli said "Someones Trying To Dial In" would lead you to believe that it wasn't seismic. Of course, Eli is not ALWAYS right but it is most likely with the gate locked out they had not figured the "work around" yet. Eli dialed in before Destiny attempted to try and dial out again.

Comment

Unless I'm missing something, seismic activity would make no sense. A random Earthquake that just happens to occur when Destiny's dialing in? That's so...random.

Comment

i reckon because the gate was burried it was a bit unstable and as a result started to shake or vibrate when in use. normally the gates "stand" for want of a better world would prevent this and keep the gate stable while in use

Comment

Destiny was definitely trying to dial the gate. If it was that simple to prevent an incoming wormhole by blocking the eventhorizon with rocks, then I think SG1 would have thwarted a lot of enemy attacks by now.

As for Eli dialing out before the incoming wormhole is established, again, SG1 tried to dial out before an enemy incoming wormhole attack, but Stargate Command's dialing computer is too slow, but that does not mean it cancels the enemy attack. But in this case, assuming Destiny's dialing computer is the same tech and speed as the Kino remote, then Destiny would win in the dialing speed, since it dialed first. But also the shaking stopped by itself before Eli played with the Kino.

So I would conclude a plot hole filled with rocks.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiRick View Post
                    When Greer says "Hey Science Guys, it's Shaking" Eli said "Someones Trying To Dial In" would lead you to believe that it wasn't seismic. Of course, Eli is not ALWAYS right but it is most likely with the gate locked out they had not figured the "work around" yet. Eli dialed in before Destiny attempted to try and dial out again.
                    This.
                    sigpic

Comment

I would imagine it would've been due to the volcanic activity Franklin mentioned earlier in the episode - I don't imagine how somebody dialing in would affect it I doubt it was a result of damage or age.
                      ~*+*~nEvEr ArGuE WiTh aN iDiOt - ThEy WiLL jUsT dRaG yOu DoWn To ThEiR LeVeL aNd BeAt YoU WiTh ExPeRiEnCe~*+*~

Comment

We have seen the gate cause seismic activity when people dialed into a partially buried gate in SG1 - it starts to shake when it can't establish a wormhole, this was how they found the Antarctica gate. Anything across the wormhole path is supposed to disrupt the dial-in, which is why you can turn off a gate by burying it.

The SGC was going to use this to prevent Sokar's attack by banging the iris out of alignment so it blocked the event horizon and effectively buried the gate, but it would cut off all gate use. This strategy didn't work for Anubis' attack and the Replicator attack on Atlantis because the wormhole wouldn't shut down so they couldn't "bury" it.

They have screwed this up in the past with "A Hundred Days" where a buried stargate created a cavern with the "whoosh" when it shouldnt have been able to establish a connection, but it has usually been established that putting a bunch of mass or heavy material in the stargate will stop a connection. I don't know if you could prevent a dial-in with just your hand or a stick, I think something like that would just be sliced off by the event horizon as it formed.

Comment

in a hundred days there mustve been a small cavity.

essentially if it's not fully buried a wormhole can form. since the gate was active when it was hit, the EH would've been clean

Comment

We haven't seen too many gate sequence with stuff in the horizon at the point of dialing in. The iris in SG1 is microns outside of the horizon to allow the dialing in, but not let anything be reformed on the other side. And we know from SG1 that the gate does cause seismic events. Even the cheyenne mountain gate was known to shake a lot before they put dampeners in place. Locating that antartic gate because of it's seismic signature. Not that I know if it was the rocks that prevented it from having the incoming wormhole. Or if the remote somehow told Destiny to stop trying with some sort of priority protocol. But we do know that burying the gate stops an incoming connection. And that one planet O'Neill was on for the better part of a year was able to dial in, only because it was active when it was buried. So in theory (if only in theory) the event horizon was clear.

So it's probably a good assumption that the dampening might have been impeeded or not functioning. But it's not anything new that the gate shakes. With or without planetary forces.

Comment

It was shaking because they were dialling in from Destiny, but the event horizon was still partially blocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X