Riley & TJ's Actions Concerning Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riley & TJ's Actions Concerning Him

Jumping off from a discussion that began with some other members in the Ethics thread for 'Aftermath', I'd like to enter into greater discussion surrounding how Riley was treated.

Initially, I was quite impressed, TJ went straight in for a head immobilisation to prevent any further spinal injuries, should any have been sustained. TJ stopped immobilising, so I'd like to ASSUME that off screen she found no evidence of spinal injury beyond the obvious 'I can't feel my legs!'... Fair enough, that makes things a lot easier.

So unless anyone disagrees with me, I'd argue that the inability to feel his legs was due to the crush injury, not spinal damage.

Now firstly, I'm a little miffed that after the promising immobilisation, NOBODY mentioned the fifteen minute window that exists with a crush injury before Crush Syndrome becomes a factor. Anyone with any medical knowledge understands that if the crushing object is removed after fifteen minutes chemicals that have built up in the damaged limbs are released into the rest of the body. This can be fatal. Hence, the lack of urgency in focusing all efforts on removing the crushing object surprised me.

Evidentally, the object could be lifted enough for TJ to decide that it was preventing Riley from bleeding out... at which point I ask... why the hell didn't she apply a tourniquet? That should have inhibited any catastrophic bleeding, and if the rest of the team had lifted the object, TJ and one other could have slid Riley out of harms way. Even if he DID have a spinal injury, a casualty can be moved in such a way.

If there isn't a damn tourniquet in that kit of TJ's, it makes me wonder what the bloody hell she has in there. For military personnel, a tourniquet and a field dressing are bare essentials in terms of battlefield first aid...
    Last edited by Flyboy; 06 October 2010, 04:27 AM.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

FOB id love to green you for this post but cant just yet. Cracking post.
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Maybe his legs were as badly crushed that she couldn't do anything... I'm not a medic but if he was bleeding even with that thing on his legs and moving it only made the blood flow out of him quicker, maybe it couldn't save him anyway.
      Not always a tourniquet can save you...
      - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
        FOB id love to green you for this post but cant just yet. Cracking post.
        greened him for you

I won't see the episode until Friday, but I'll keep an eye out. Poor Riley gets clobbered again, huh?
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Why on earth do you have to wait until friday, are you only allowed one evening of televisual stimulus a week or something? Anyways cheers for Greening FOB, such generosity has earned you yourself a green!
          Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

I have to agree with FOB. I wasn't aware of the Crush Syndrome aspect, but once they established a connection with Destiny, why not bring ten people to lift the console and pull Riley out. If it came to it, why not try cutting off his leg? I'd rather someone try that then suffocate me.

I think that reality sometimes gets in the way of the story the writers are trying to tell and in that case, you have to focus on what the point of their story is. I didn't see the ending being about Riley as much as I saw it about Young. With his actions towards Telford, losing the ship, losing the baby, conflict with Rush, beating the LA guy and finally suffocating Riley, we are really starting to see that not only is he the wrong man for the job, but he is slowly unraveling.

Even if you agree that suffocating Riley was the right thing to do, it still has to weigh on Young.

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
              If there isn't a damn tourniquet in that kit of TJ's, it makes me wonder what the bloody hell she has in there. For military personnel, a tourniquet and a field dressing are bare essentials in terms of battlefield first aid...
              Regardless of the contents of her kit; elastoplast, tampons, dental floss, eyedrops & milk of magnesia, they could have brought medicinals and surgical tools from Destiny when they cleared the gate.

Comment

One has to remember that Riley was stuck under that console for nearly 12 hours, and they could not move it on their own. They could only lift it enough for TJ to just barely stick her hand under it and check the wound blindly. After 12 hours, there's no way they'd have saved him even if they had a full medical setup, which they surely don't.

Comment

Originally posted by P5C768 View Post
                  I think that reality sometimes gets in the way of the story the writers are trying to tell and in that case, you have to focus on what the point of their story is.
                  Yes, but my suspension of disbelief has some limits. They can't just throw logic out of the window cause you're actually too lazy to do it right.

Comment

Completely right about the deadly chemicals building up. They should have tried their best to get him the hell out of there right away. Would have made it a little more realistic, but over all I think it was a good episode!
                    Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Have to agree with FOB, the debris needed to come off immediately. Medical people don't care how much you scream-they will save you anyway. Screaming just means you are still alive

As for a tourniquet, she could have used a glove, I've done it in a pinch, it works.
                      SGU fangirl

Comment

What gets my goat is the fact that the writers are perfectly happy to use those CPD's the communication stones to bring in doctors to perform surgery in previous instances but in this one its not even mooted by the characters, no consideration given to the possibility whatsoever.

Comment

There wasn't anything to be done. By the time tending to him was even a valid option, he was already as good as dead. TJ's enough of a medical professional to know when a person isn't getting saved.

Comment

I admit I wasn't aware that something like Crush Syndrome exists, so thanks for the info.

However, apart from this little detail, that in hindsight would have made the scene a little bit more realistic but wouldn't have changed the outcome, I don't really see the problem. If TJ was barely able to squeeze her hand under the console, for what? 30 seconds? there's no way she could have applied a tourniquet. Also, guys tried to pull Riley out but couldn't and again, it was said that his leg was stuck. The console covered his whole lower body and the guys weren't strong enough to keep it lifted for long, so cutting off his leg was impossible too. And before you say: they could have brought more men to lift the damn thing, did you notice how little space there was? Additional menforce wouldn't have had the space to assist. Recap: they couldn't lift the console, they couldn't pull Riley out, cut off his leg or stop the bleeding. What else could have been done?

Personally I don't think there was anything that could have saved Riley and the situation felt quite realistic to me.
                            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

It seemed to me that it wasn't so much that they didn't want to get Riley out from under the console, but that he was wedged too far under to move him. Scott and (Greer, I think?) Tried lifting the console, and were only able to get enough room for TJ to check the wound with her hand. I thought he was still pinned . . . Otherwise, it does seem logical that they would have pulled him out and made a makeshift tourniquet.
                              At that point, I think we would have been past the 15 minute mark anyway, as evidenced by the conversation between TJ and Riley . . . "Have you ever worked on somebody in this situation before?"
                              Plus the several hour timeframe between the Destiny jumping, and when Rush brought it back out of FTL.

Comment

Working...
                              X