Is it me or Caprica Suck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me or Caprica Suck?

Battlestar Galactica went belly up (to me) when they started to rely on religion to much.
    In the beginning was alot cooler with story that made some kinda sense, with real trouble problems we could relate but then it was all religion and belief and no-sense stuff. I always like the fact the in BSG there were alot of Gods, but then the Cylon want to kill humans because they believe in one true god. Give me a break thats just idiotic.

But in Caprica is ALL religion and most of all nothing makes sense. (like all religions)
    I mean the pilot was cool... very little religion and more science.
    Caprica is like the spanish inquisition in space.
    There no action, no science fiction theres only the morality and duality of religion belief.

Very dissapointed.
    "Do you know what's the Chain of Command?? It's the chain i'm gonna beat you
    with until you realize who's in rotten command here." - Jayne Cobb

Yeah, that's the early eps. From episode 5 or 6 or so the story and action really picks up. You should at least watch it until 'There Is Another Sky', you won't be dissapointed
    Mia: Don't you hate that?
    Vincent: Hate what?
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

Comment

If you judge the show from the first few eps then it might seem so. Also, I'd say that this last ep although worked well but wasn't really the best "Caprica" can offer. "There is Another Sky", as was mentioned already, is one really good episode. Though maybe I didn't like this ep so much because of the lack of Zoe and Amanda in it, expect for the few last shots .

It's not only about religion, there's enough sci-fi in it like V world and cylon Zoe etc.
      - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Nope its just you.

Comment

Personally I find Caprica more enjoyable then BSG but SGU tops all.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Nope. Caprica pretty much sucks. I'm about ready to quit watching it if it doesn't improve in the next couple of episodes.

Comment

I think Caprica is a fantastic show, I even think it is better than SGU which as a Stargate fan more than a BSG is very odd for me to say. Other than W13, I think it is one of the best shows on SyFy right now.

Comment

For me, it seems Caprica goes up and down. This last episode wasn't that great for me, but several of the ones earlier on in the season were fantastic.

Comment

Caprica is the kind of show that is no doubt well made and all that jazz but at the end of the day I as a dedicated sci fi fan decided not to watch it after the pilot. I don't doubt that I will catch up with the show at some point but more out of curiosity and boredom than with great expectations for the show. I'm just not that interested in the basic approach the show creators took (at least the approach of the pilot).

I find it very unfortunate when a sci fi show does not cater to my likings (mostly big giant honking spacebattles and fancy science and gadgets and other manly stuff) to the extent that I am not inclined to watch it, since there aren't that many sci fi shows around let alone well made ones. But it is what it is.

It's also somewhat unfortunate that Caprica was so long in limbo before it aired, since it's ratings troubles might have pushed the SGU (a show which I do like very much, but unfortunatly many other sci fi fans are also not interested in) creators into toning down some of their "Capricaesque" approaches, which I blame as one of the key causes for the reduced lack of interest.

Of course the above may seem a bit harsh. Like I said the show is no doubt well made (which was also very evident in the pilot) and no doubt brings enjoyment to its dedicated viewers, but commercially speaking it's not a good idea to sink money into creating a good show that a lot of people simply aren't interested in.
                  Last edited by Wayston; 07 October 2010, 11:20 PM.
                  I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                    Caprica is the kind of show that is no doubt well made and all that jazz but at the end of the day I as a dedicated sci fi fan decided not to watch it after the pilot. I don't doubt that I will catch up with the show at some point but more out of curiosity and boredom than with great expectations for the show. I'm just not that interested in the basic approach the show creators took (at least the approach of the pilot).

I find it very unfortunate when a sci fi show does not cater to my likings (mostly big giant honking spacebattles and fancy science and gadgets and other manly stuff) to the extent that I am not inclined to watch it, since there aren't that many sci fi shows around let alone well made ones. But it is what it is.

It's also somewhat unfortunate that Caprica was so long in limbo before it aired, since it's ratings troubles might have pushed the SGU (a show which I do like very much, but unfortunatly many other sci fi fans are also not interested in) creators into toning down some of their "Capricaesque" approaches, which I blame as one of the key causes for the reduced lack of interest.

Of course the above may seem a bit harsh. Like I said the show is no doubt well made (which was also very evident in the pilot) and no doubt brings enjoyment to its dedicated viewers, but commercially speaking it's not a good idea to sink money into creating a good show that a lot of people simply aren't interested in.

Well siad.
                    I found so fricken boring that its so painful to get through the 1st ep.
                    IMO sci-fi show are trying so hard to be all cool and dandy with all these drama/emo crap, that they've lost the simplicity of adventure and excitment of the story.
                    Right now there's on "V" the series that get's me all pumped up and excited and gosh thank god for glee lol
                    sigpic

Comment

I agree with the OP in that religion ruined BSG for me. I love the first 2 seasons, I'm not particularly fond of the last 2. But I don't mind religious focus of Caprica; on the contrary, I love it. Watching how new religion fights the old one for believers, how far will the fundamentalists go to convert non-believers, how thin is the line between religion and terrorism, between a believer and a fanatic, between serving God and thinking of yourself as God etc. - I find it all incredibly fascinating.

I guess I have to say it's just you then. I don't think Caprica sucks at all.

Originally posted by Stargater276 View Post
                      For me, it seems Caprica goes up and down. This last episode wasn't that great for me, but several of the ones earlier on in the season were fantastic.
                      I very much agree on the bolded. Caprica is very uneven for me, although I must admit there hasn't been so far any episode that I would either hate or love. I like it very much, find it enjoyable, thought-provoking and interesting enough to keep watching, but it has yet to impress me.

As to the rest of your post, I'm your opposite. I loved the last episode and found several earlier ones a bit subpar.

Originally posted by travis View Post
                      Well siad.
                      I found so fricken boring that its so painful to get through the 1st ep.
                      IMO sci-fi show are trying so hard to be all cool and dandy with all these drama/emo crap, that they've lost the simplicity of adventure and excitment of the story.
                      Right now there's on "V" the series that get's me all pumped up and excited and gosh thank god for glee lol
                      I see that you are a typical member of audience which is modern counterpart of pulp magazines' readership, which in the first half of the 20th century gave sci-fi its bad reputation of genre for juvenile boys who wanted action, action, action, cool gadgets and God forbid any thinking Not that there's something wrong with that, but thankfully sci-fi is a wide enough genre to be able to offer something that you like and something else that I like.

re bolded: There's this awesome book called "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction" by John Clute & Peter Nicholls. You can find it on-line. On page 1068 you'll find "History of science-fiction". If you read it carefully you'll find that sci-fi has been through many, many different stages and incarnations and what you call "drama/emo crap" has been one of the defining aspects of science-fiction since the end of the Golden Age (in other words, since the 50s/60s), when psychology, sociology, religion, philosophy and even things like ecology and overpopulation issues became as important as hard science.
                      There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                      sigpic
                      awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                        I see that you are a typical member of audience which is modern counterpart of pulp magazines' readership, which in the first half of the 20th century gave sci-fi its bad reputation of genre for juvenile boys who wanted action, action, action, cool gadgets and God forbid any thinking Not that there's something wrong with that, but thankfully sci-fi is a wide enough genre to be able to offer something that you like and something else that I like.

re bolded: There's this awesome book called "Encyclopedia of Science Fiction" by John Clute & Peter Nicholls. You can find it on-line. On page 1068 you'll find "History of science-fiction". If you read it carefully you'll find that sci-fi has been through many, many different stages and incarnations and what you call "drama/emo crap" has been one of the defining aspects of science-fiction since the end of the Golden Age (in other words, since the 50s/60s), when psychology, sociology, religion, philosophy and even things like ecology and overpopulation issues became as important as hard science.
                        I hve a very wide range of appreciation when it comes to art and film from the most intese boring cerebral crap to the most silly stupid crap.
                        Its just for me when it comes to following a TV series that I know I'm going to invest my time with I like it to be enjoyable what ever factor that is weather its story, plot, character or ect.......
                        Yes sci-fi and all forms of genre in movies and TV shows have gone through a lot of change to push and explore boundries but some time going back to basic can be just as ground breaking and entertaining as being all avant-garde.
                        sigpic

Comment

Honestly although I watched all the episodes I thought BSG sucked also. Caprica is better but starting to suck kinda hard.

Comment

Originally posted by travis View Post
                            Yes sci-fi and all forms of genre in movies and TV shows have gone through a lot of change to push and explore boundries but some time going back to basic can be just as ground breaking and entertaining as being all avant-garde.
                            But that's the point. It's easy to say "let's go back to basics", it's much harder to define what "the basics" mean. Is it proto science-fiction? Stories from mentioned pulp magazines? Flying saucers? Hard sci-fi? If SGU and Caprica struggle to survive I have a hard time believing that true hard sci-fi, demanding much more focus and knowledge from its viewer/reader, would have any chance in today's tv. Anything post-hard sci-fi incorporates soft sci-fi you complain about. It's hardly avant-garde.
                            There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                            sigpic
                            awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

I don't doubt that Caprica is Science Fiction, but it's more sci-fi light. Because really, aside from having a huge vr world and the Cylon Chasis, there is no real difference between it and our world. Any differences there are is minor.

And in fact, we could already have a proto Cylon Chasis. For example, have you seen the actual Terminator model they used in the movies? Not to mention, the mechanics bbehind things like making a monkey mask ujse facial expressions.

Religion plays a large part in our world as well as theirs.

We have the Mafia. I don't know how powerful it really is though.

But in terms of vr worlds we are coming closer each decade. For example, huge games like World Of Warcraft could be considered a kind of proto-virtual reality. It would not surprise me at all if some people do use vr glasses to play it.

So it's really not all that different from our world, but i still consider it sci-fi. Mostly because it is on another planet that has several colonized worlds connected to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X