No announcement yet.

Ethically charged events from "Aftermath"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True, he has needed gunpoint for certain instances (the lottery in "Light", "Divided"), but he's a big step from going guns all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
      Shadow_7,
      You're reaching now. There is absolutely nothing to indicate these civilians have been "drafted." Couple of points. First, women in the U.S. are not subject to the draft. Second, there are age limits on who may be drafted in the U.S. After age 30 I don't have to tell the Draft board where I live. After age 40 I'm no longer subject to the draft. Finally, you don't get drafted into the Air Force or the Marines. Those forces are volunteer and have always been all volunteer. If these people were drafted they'd be considered U.S. Army for which there are no officers or NCOs on board.

Therefore, while, theoretically, they could be drafted, many would be exempt and it would create more problems than it would solve.

Morbo,

So, Young is a military dictator ruling arbitrarily at the point of a gun? Isn't that exactly what Wray and Rush were accusing him of being in "Divided"?
      I think the problem here is with the word "draft" - I think the poster meant "pressed into service" not like an actual draft, similar to what used to happen when people were shanghaied... you were forced to fight or you were killed, like the recruiting policies in Afghanistan with the Taliban.

It could be possible that they would declare it a martial law scenario and have a full military take over, but it wouldn't really do much more than alienate the civilians even further and make them actively try to oppose your goals, rather than their current grumbling acceptance.

The truth of the matter is that the civilians would be firmly in charge if Eli wasn't Young's little *****, because without the cooperation of Rush, Eli and Vocker the military personnel would be screwed within a week when the ship broke down since they can't fix anything.

Comment

pressed into service would be a better terminology. Which there situation pretty much dictates, civilian or not. I mean Eli is manning Destiny's weapons when they're attacked. He's not military. Rush is enhancing the shields, he's not military. It would be nice to see Camile move some rocks for a change. But I digress the leader doesn't actually have to do any physical work. NOT!

Comment

Pressed into service... i agree makes more sense than saying they were drafted.

Comment

If these people are "pressed into service" how would such involutary servitude not justify a response in opposition to those who are demanding their services and obedience without their assent?
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

This silly argument again.

I'll go you one better. Since they are now untold numbers of galaxies away from Earth, I say that the military are no longer bound to follow the military command structure. As Young himself has pointed out to Telford, they are a long ways away from a military court-martial. ANARCHY NOW!!!!

regards,
              G.
              Go for Marty...

Comment

Originally posted by Gollumpus View Post
                This silly argument again.

I'll go you one better. Since they are now untold numbers of galaxies away from Earth, I say that the military are no longer bound to follow the military command structure. As Young himself has pointed out to Telford, they are a long ways away from a military court-martial. ANARCHY NOW!!!!

regards,
                G.
                The problem is the same one whenever someone casts off a form of government. It has to be stable. A junta in this instance is going to be inherantly unstable because you have extremely intelligent scientists ruled over by pragmatic (but arguably slightly less intelligent) people with guns. The problem with that situation, is they are living in a highly mechanized environment, not some vast expanse of land. Those machines can be turned on the military, in open space you're kinda screwed.

It is in fact Young's openly acknowledging that laws have ceased to be applicable that will probably get him in a world of trouble. And unlike before, there is someone of equal rank to take over. Abdication of the rule of law is anarchy after all. You don't need to call for it, it's already there.

Comment

Working...
                X