Ethically charged events from "Aftermath"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethically charged events from "Aftermath"

Okay, did Young do the right thing? I think he did what had to be done and didn't involve anyone else because he didn't want to create a problem. Bringing others in, particularly Scott, could have been problematic. I certainly understand Reily didn't want to die slowly alone in the shuttle craft.

I also think it took a great deal of courage and intestinal fortitude for Young to step up and do what he did for Reily.

Rush, on the other hand, is screwing the pooch. Attempting to run Destiny by himself without assistance is not going to work. Reily is dead because of Rush's poor decision making. This is the biggest mistake Rush has made since coming onboard, in my opinion, because it resulted in Reily's death. While I think he's right that Young is not stable, and appears to be drinking on top of everything else, Rush has to bring in the rest of the crew. He'll never be able to run all the systems on his own.

How long do you think it will take before Rush tells someone about the Bridge or someone finds out where Rush has been disappearing off to?
    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Young shouldnt have had to end Rileys life, TJ could have amputated Rileys trapped leg tbh.

You could say that Riley's death was caused not by Rush's machinations but by Scott's piss poor piloting of the shuttle?
    Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
      Young shouldnt have had to end Rileys life, TJ could have amputated Rileys trapped leg tbh.

You could say that Riley's death was caused not by Rush's machinations but by Scott's piss poor piloting of the shuttle?
      TJ didnt have the right medical tools to amputate the leg. As for your thing with Scott, there was nothing he could have done when all systems were not responding cause of something in the planet that made the shuttle stop working mid-flight.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy Pena View Post
        TJ didnt have the right medical tools to amputate the leg. As for your thing with Scott, there was nothing he could have done when all systems were not responding cause of something in the planet that made the shuttle stop working mid-flight.
        Interesting. And you know these facts how?
        Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

And considering that TJ could have gated back to the Destiny and gotten any equipment she needed for an amputation I fail to see how your point, however spurious, about the lack of equipment is relevant?

Comment

SH,

From my, very recent, viewing of "Aftermath". Scott had no control and said he had no control as they were coming in. Remember when Reily said, "pull up". Scott said, "I can't" indicating he had no control over the shuttle. They were very lucky they landed near the Stargate.

As to amputating Reilly's legs. I don't know that such an operation would have been possible without causing Reilly to bleed out or suffer severe infection due to the incredibly unsanitary conditions in the shuttle. If they could have gotten him out from under the wreckage then amputated it may have worked. But cutting off his legs in the process of freeing him? I think he would have exsanguinated.
            All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
              SH,

From my, very recent, viewing of "Aftermath". Scott had no control and said he had no control as they were coming in. Remember when Reily said, "pull up". Scott said, "I can't" indicating he had no control over the shuttle. They were very lucky they landed near the Stargate.
              So how is Rush culpable for Rileys death when there are many other mitigating factors involved?

Comment

He lost power didn't he? And the ship descended into foliage which blinded them. I don't see what more he could have done.. Whereas it's pretty apparent what more rush could've done, which places the bulk of the irresponsibility on him.

I also don't understand why amputation wasn't considered by TJ during the entire time he she was there with him.

Comment

SH,

So how is Rush culpable for Rileys death when there are many other mitigating factors involved?
                  "Culpable" is the wrong word. He bears more responsibility for Reilly's death than anyone else, in my opinion. For the reasons I state above I think there was very little that could have been done for Reilly. It's not like they could gate in a crane to get him out from under the wreckage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ser Scot A Ellison View Post
                    SH,

As to amputating Reilly's legs. I don't know that such an operation would have been possible without causing Reilly to bleed out or suffer severe infection due to the incredibly unsanitary conditions in the shuttle.
                    You need to see the movie "The Ruins".
                    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

How do we know they could of performed and amputation, I think if it were possible it would have been mentioned or done already. Scott had ample time to get anything he needed on destiny for TJ to do it, but didn't suggesting it wasn't an option. Plus TJ said the presure was the only thing keeping him from bleeding out. If they cut his leg off, adding to the amount of blood he already lost, i doubt Riley would have survived it.

Getting to the point of it Young was right or wrong, I think he did what he had to do and you could see he didn't want to do it. Riley knew what he was asking and pretty well begged for it and Young knew the situation. It took cuts on both their part and was a hard scene to watch.

I think Rush killed Riley more than Young, this all falls on him and he knows it. Also he thinks Young is mentally unstable, hes the one talking to people who aren't there, accept Frankly, i think he was there or more so the ship. However i think he wife is all in his head. Frankly atleast provided him with usefull info.

Comment

Interesting. And you know these facts how?
                        I know these facts how????? Easy the shuttle lost all power to every system. Its like driving a car on the highway at 100 miles per hour and you lose the power to slow down and stop, but wait, your E-Break doesnt work along with your steering locks up too and you can only go straight.

And so by this logic of thinking of yours, its your fault that your car stopped working and your car hit other car and seriously hurting someone.

With TJ, she doesnt even have the medical tools on the ship to cut the leg off. They have to use weapons as a cane, so that pretty much says it all. They also dont have the meds to keep all the pain away, he may have died of shock and loss of blood cause the dont have much blood to give him once every thing is done.

Comment

I'm honestly surprised no one has tried to call Young a murderer for what he did with Riley, just because I know how easily some people leap to find fault in what Young does every week. The episode just aired though, so I can wait.

Seriously though, he did what he had to do. They both showed us with grim certainty that what was happening was not exactly fun or easy. It was a highly emotional scene for me, but I have to agree with Young's decision. If he hadn't granted Riley's request, the result could have been so much worse for him.

And yes, this is easily one of the worst mistakes Rush has ever made. The sh** will seriously hit the fan if Young finds out why all of this happened the way it did.

Comment

It wasn't just his legs. He lost all feeling in his legs, so that would imply spine. So pelvis crushed and all that jazz. Even if he could be saved. That's meds and food they don't have. No wheelchair, or other means to make him a useful member of the crew. Assuming that he would have survived.

Rush could have told them to return to the ship when he realized the odds. But he didn't. Rush sent them in to start with. While he may not be the one in charge, and other factors (scurvy). It was ultimately Rush's fault.

Scott was only a pilot. Once the ship stopped working, he was no longer a pilot. Had he known all the facts, perhaps he could have made a better choice. But he's a soldier first, pilot second. Following the orders given by the folks in charge.

Young might have opted for letting Riley die of natural causes. But that probably would have meant dieing alone as they would have gated away long before he passed. Given more time they could have done stuff. But in military terms, the mission comes first. Hopefully they'll return to bring the body home, but I doubt it at this point.

Young made a call to accellerate the end result while sparing those in ear shot of hearing his final cries. Not a popular call, but anyone who's heard a dog get killed by car, or other animal like a rabbit get killed by a dog. Those are sounds and memories that don't fade much. The hissing of a snake as you chop him up with a shovel, not quite the same thing. Had it been Rush and not Riley, I would imagine a few more cheers, than awes... Certainly more dramatic than it's my turn to be in charge...

Comment

umm the console was stopping him from bleeding out, if she amputated it wouldnt have mattered

Comment

Working...
                              X