Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Default Re: Milky War War Spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by PG15 View Post
    I don't call entire cities low-key.
    Tactically speaking, they are. Blowing up an Earth City or two, even if they are New York and London, won't accomplish much besides ticking Earth off.

And "Earth's full force" doesn't seem like a big deal at all. Yes, we have half-a-dozen very powerful ships and Atlantis, but using them to cover a good deal of the entire galaxy? Even if the LA isn't a match for them, they can easily just evade our attacks. They have a whole galaxy to play in, after all. It's hard for me to imagine it as a total slaughter of LA forces; it'll be more like a neverending hide-and-seek game.

Subversion showed that Earth doesn't know the location of every LA outpost. Who knows how many planets the LA has under their control that we don't know about that they can easily hide on?
    No, we wouldn't be able to wipe them all out. But we could very well infiltrate the planets where they draw support from and free those people. We can get intel on where their ships and shipyards are(if any) and take them out. Essentially, we'd cause the LA a world of hurt and make it very clear, "Keep your **** out of our backyard, because we can and will make things very difficult for you if you intervene."

But you actually made one of my points for you. Space is vast, therefore there is no reason for the LA to attack Earth when there are plenty of other easier planets with resources out there. So, again, the writers need to give me a reason.

Besides, if the LA do decide to take out Earth, then I'd think they'd be prepared for the backlash, at least on some level (i.e. they're prepared to run).
    Or they're just dumb as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Descended View Post
    Ori ships aren't a threat anymore, the Odyssey with Asgard weapons engaged several of them in Unending and destroyed them pretty readily, it was only in trouble because the Priors could track the Asgard core and Odyssey couldn't recover between battles since they were constantly getting pounced on. Even in the LA found a few Ori ships the new F304s could take them out with ease.

Earth has become such a bad-ass that it makes absolutely zero sense for the LA to attack us, since we don't actively hunt them. Earth has proven time and again that we don't really care what people are doing out in the galaxy unless it threatens us or they attack us, so we would be perfectly happy to sit back and let the LA rule a few planets and we would leave them in peace unless they started planning an attack on us.

Why would anyone pick a fight with Earth? We defeated directly or indirectly Ra, Nirrti, Cronus, Apophis, Heru'ur, Ba'al, Sokar, Imhotep, a partially Ascended Anubis and his Asgard upgraded fleet (from Thor's brain), the MW replicators, the human-form Replicators (5th and Replicarter), Ba'als clones, the Trust, the Priors, and entire galaxy of Ascended beings (Ori), another Ascended being in Adria, the Wraith, the Genii, the Pegasus Replicators (Asurans) and the LA in every other engagement except Icarus. We have the F304s, Atlantis, and the Antarctic weapons platform (assuming they could replace the chair, either from a possible spare on Atlantis or another Ancient outpost or vessel) and the entire knowledge base of both the Ancients and the Asgard.

Why would they attack us!?! The writers better give a damn good reason other that "because they are evil." They aren't stupid.

With the help of an Ascended Merlin living in a Prior Daniel's brain, probably not something that is easy to figure out otherwise.
    all of this can be easily swept aside by a good writer with creative ideas. Say there are Ori priors left in the Milky Way who are no longer backed by the power of the Ori but still have significant capabilities due to being evolutionary advanced humans (somewhere in between ordinary humans and Adria's level) and they side with the Lucian alliance in the hopes of restarting the Ori society (with in the long run themselves at the top as ascended beings). The ancients wouldn't lift a finger to help earth this time and even if earth ships might be more powerful than an ori battleship pound per pound, there would still be a significant difference in numbers and the ori priors could bolster the regular LA fleet too.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but it sounds interesting to me.
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayston View Post
    all of this can be easily swept aside by a good writer with creative ideas. Say there are Ori priors left in the Milky Way who are no longer backed by the power of the Ori but still have significant capabilities due to being evolutionary advanced humans (somewhere in between ordinary humans and Adria's level) and they side with the Lucian alliance.
    Why wouldn't Stargate Command make sure they were all sent home? There's a subspace link connecting them. They'd know if one stayed behind. Either way, without a ship (which the SGC would NOT allow to be left abandoned), a Prior could be neutralized easily once they knew he was around.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by morbosfist View Post
    We'd be able to tell the difference. Alien weapons aren't the same as human ones.
    Well since we see them using earth like weapons when the stormed the Destiny, what is to stop them using earth based ones when they attack earth?

[QUOTE=morbosfist;11968605]
    Netan runs the Lucian Alliance. He could have committed more.[quote]

True dat...

It takes a year to build a ship, and that was by the standards of common Earth manufacturing. Now we have Asgard tech. And if they had the kind of resources to commit to that, Earth wouldn't be a threat.
    It seemed like it took longer for the Prometheus and first 2 dadelus class.

Because in that same episode we dialled quicker than Sokar.
    Eventually yes.. I will give you that.

Right up until we got tired of it and monitored 24/7. Strategy fails.
    No it does not. We have not seen any of our sensors (well unless atlantis says around on earth, which the developers have said won't happen) cover the entire planet. AND yes nothing is stopping them monitor 24/7, but that ties up more resources and shows the LA they have worried us.

One, that was Vala, and she hadn't even heard of us. It was coincidence. Telford was only stealing Icarus data. Rush was in his mind; he'd know.
    I suppose rush would know if he stole more, but until they show that, i am willing to give Telford the benefit of the doubt he could have stolen more info.

Neither of which has changed from then to now.
    Except one is larger and better organized. So how is that NOT changing it.

If he took leave, he wouldn't be working period. It would be even more suspicious.
    I;ll give you that point..

It's like a land land vs a cell phone.
    And both work to allow you to talk at great distances... just one is mobile.

Which would only go to prove that the Alliance can't take a 304 that's fully armed.
    In low numbers yes.. Remember though, we both agree the Phoneix (last man) was taken by large numbers of wraiths.. so it can be done.

When your enemy doesn't have the same ability, it's a lot easier. There's no evidence that anyone but the Goa'uld have the knowledge to build their ships.
    I still think that an org the size/power the LA seems to now have, has the capacity to build some ships....

Mitchell was given the reports because he was going to lead SG1.
    I still think that anyone else in the SG org could read all other mission reports.. BUT for now i will give you this point.

The SGC already runs a few dozen teams at any one time. The gate doesn't need to be active constantly. Scheduled daily supply drops would be simple.
    I see the amt of material needing to be gathered for building just ONE ship as taking up a lot of time of the gate, to be sufficient in duration to monopolize its use when you expand that to 3 or more ships which some of you think we would be building at once...

The production capacity is very limited. You can only expand your workforce so much before too much information starts leaking out; the more people are in on the secret, the harder it is to keep it secret. Independent contractors must be kept out of the loop too, so you need lots of them, each working on a part of the project too small to explain the whole. You need to change them regularly, too, otherwise some smart alec will eventually put two and two together. All that slows the manufacture down.
    Which we have already seen happen twice.. Once with the replicator getting out (Sga) and again with that guy who wanted to kidnap Mccay to cure his daughter. I might even include the wheel chair bound guy in sga season (or was it 5) who kidnapped carter to try and learn about getting a symbiot to heal him..

Moreover, such gigantic expenditures are very hard to conceal. You need to create a believable paper trail that explains to the Congress and the public where the money is going. This is no small challenge by itself.
    Which iirc is how that reporter chick learned of the prometheus.

And YOU are forgetting the LA has the same access to that database thanks to its moles. O.O
    I doubt that very much...

More to the point, what the Goa'uld controlled does not equate to what the Lucian Alliance controls now. It is unlikely they would have multiple shipyards, if any at all, or that they would be able to duplicate the vessels anyway.
    True, but it is imo a safe assumption that they did at least get some of them.

The Lucian Alliance, far as we know, does not have nukes. Nukes are human tech, always have been.
    WRONG. The Genii had them.. And since the LA have set up shop down here, i cannot see any reason to suggest they could not get their hands on some (russia!!!)

no, Carter found a way to bypass the Prior
    And if the LA scientists are anything to see (how easily they operated the destny) i can see them duplicating that feat.

a Prior could be neutralized easily once they knew he was around.
    Thats assuming we get close enough to him to turn that device on...

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Well since we see them using earth like weapons when the stormed the Destiny, what is to stop them using earth based ones when they attack earth?
    The fact that they'd be sacrificing their advantage to do so.

It seemed like it took longer for the Prometheus and first 2 dadelus class.
    Mass-production is a lot easier than research and development.

No it does not. We have not seen any of our sensors (well unless atlantis says around on earth, which the developers have said won't happen) cover the entire planet. AND yes nothing is stopping them monitor 24/7, but that ties up more resources and shows the LA they have worried us.
    Wouldn't be hard to build Earth-based sensor arrays or a satellite network.

I suppose rush would know if he stole more, but until they show that, i am willing to give Telford the benefit of the doubt he could have stolen more info.
    It would only work to a point. The fact that he hasn't been caught indicates his theft could not have gone beyond his own department.

Except one is larger and better organized. So how is that NOT changing it.
    It's not changing because the Alliance isn't any larger or better organized than it was at the start.

And both work to allow you to talk at great distances... just one is mobile.
    Which is a big difference.

In low numbers yes.. Remember though, we both agree the Phoneix (last man) was taken by large numbers of wraiths.. so it can be done.
    Because it was boxed in and couldn't run. Remember, hive ships are on the order of 10 times larger than a 304. A Ha'tak is maybe twice the volume without being significantly wider.

I still think that an org the size/power the LA seems to now have, has the capacity to build some ships....
    Assuming they have the shipyards and expertise to do so. These aren't things the Goa'uld share with slaves.

I see the amt of material needing to be gathered for building just ONE ship as taking up a lot of time of the gate, to be sufficient in duration to monopolize its use when you expand that to 3 or more ships which some of you think we would be building at once...
    Resources could quickly pass through the gate. It wouldn't monopolize gate use at all.

Which we have already seen happen twice.. Once with the replicator getting out (Sga) and again with that guy who wanted to kidnap Mccay to cure his daughter. I might even include the wheel chair bound guy in sga season (or was it 5) who kidnapped carter to try and learn about getting a symbiot to heal him..
    Maybourne was responsible for that last one. The Replicator was military funded (someone was in on it). Devlin is a valid point.

Which iirc is how that reporter chick learned of the prometheus.
    No. Frank Simmons (or his flunkies, same thing really) tipped her off.

True, but it is imo a safe assumption that they did at least get some of them.
    I'll grant this is possible.

WRONG. The Genii had them.. And since the LA have set up shop down here, i cannot see any reason to suggest they could not get their hands on some (russia!!!)
    The Genii had to make them, and they developed them as a matter of course (scientific development naturally gravitates along that kind of path). The Lucian Alliance went from medieval to spacefaring automatically. There's also no clear evidence the guns are human-made.

And if the LA scientists are anything to see (how easily they operated the destny) i can see them duplicating that feat.
    They managed to get the doors to work. They were powerless to beat Rush. They can work a console. They don't have the skill to outdo someone familiar with the tech. Carter had help from Prior Daniel, so no Alliance fool is going to duplicate that.

Thats assuming we get close enough to him to turn that device on...
    It works by sound. Don't have to get all that close. The Prior is useless the second he gets close enough to start using his powers.

Why wouldn't Stargate Command make sure they were all sent home? There's a subspace link connecting them. They'd know if one stayed behind. Either way, without a ship (which the SGC would NOT allow to be left abandoned), a Prior could be neutralized easily once they knew he was around.
    I don't see anything here that would preclude the storyline I was describing.
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Second Lieutenant J_schinderlin56's Avatar

Stargate command beat the Goa'uld, Replicators (Twice-MW/Pegasus), and the Ori. We will make dog meat of the L.A.
    Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Quote Originally Posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
    Stargate command beat the Goa'uld, Replicators (Twice-MW/Pegasus), and the Ori. We will make dog meat of the L.A.
    My main reason for thinking that the Lucian Alliance could be a real threat is that they're only human: devious, ingenious and all the other traits that have allowed Earth to survive and defeat vastly superior enemies. Earth isn't fighting some alien being here, they're up against themselves.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    My main reason for thinking that the Lucian Alliance could be a real threat is that they're only human: devious, ingenious and all the other traits that have allowed Earth to survive and defeat vastly superior enemies. Earth isn't fighting some alien being here, they're up against themselves.
    The Genii were human, we beat them.

General

Well, the Genii were pretty low-tech.

The LA has a lot more toys to play with.

My basic point is that being human isn't an automatic plus. Earth's unique mindset is what kept winning us battles (that and plenty of Deus Ex Machina).

low tech societies don't usually build atomic bombs

The Genii were human, we beat them.
    My basic point is that being human isn't an automatic plus. Earth's unique mindset is what kept winning us battles (that and plenty of Deus Ex Machina).
    Considering that SGU wants to be different, having Earth get owned by an 'inferior' force would be different. Earth military mindset may have helped us against the Goa'uld et al, but the Lucian Alliance's gangster mindset might just be enough to give us a real run for our money. That and a few dozen ships...
    And the Genii also gave us a very good run for our money without ships.

General

Quote Originally Posted by General Jumper One View Post
    low tech societies don't usually build atomic bombs
    I mean low-tech compared to the Goa'uld, LA, and other galactic powers.

Major General

While they maybe low tech, i think they have shown remarkable adaptability for higher tech.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    Advanced weapons suddenly lose their advantage when your enemy has more numbers
    that is true! look at the ancient's war against the wraith