• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Dwarf is almost certainly coming back for another series
    Rejoice, smegheads!

By Rianne Houghton

17 November 2017

Full Article here: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/red-dwa...her-series-13/

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
    K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
      People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I reaaaaaaaally reaaaaaaaaaaaally hope so!
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I got the Red Dwarf The Complete Collection for Christmas. Though it's only the first 8 series now.
          Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Happy 30th Anniversary
            RED
            DWARF

15th February 1988 - 15th February 2018

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Oh wow... Yes, Happy B'day!
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Red Dwarf series 13 is "absolutely" happening – and co-creator Rob Grant could return
                There's also talk of a movie and a stage show.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/red-dwa...ie-stage-show/

© UKTV

By Joe Anderton
                16 February 2018

Dave wants more episodes, scriptwriting has already started, so why hasn't Red Dwarf XIII been properly announced yet?

Well, don't get paranoid and start making theories about behind-the-scenes drama, because the sci-fi comedy is "absolutely" returning.

Speaking to WhatCulture, Doug Naylor said that we should definitely expect a return for the smegheads.

"We're just trying to work out how and when," he said. "Everyone seems to be keen so I think that will happen."

And that's not all! Naylor also mentions that co-creator Rob Grant "may well want to return to Red Dwarf in some capacity down the line", and he would be more than welcome to do so.

"He's never mentioned the latest stuff and I've never asked him what he thinks of it," Naylor continued. "But if offered his opinion I'd happily listen."

And that's still not all! Naylor says that there is talk of both a movie and a stage show, stating: "The order will probably be another TV series, a stage show and possibly a movie, and I think the guys agree on that.

© Dave UKTV

"The film is a long shot at this point just because it can take so long to get funding. While people are happy for us to make TV series and stage shows, and the money is there for us to do it, obviously we'll do those things since they're guaranteed.

"I haven't discussed the idea of a movie with the guys for a while."

That's all.

Comment

Movie? Yeah I’ve heard that before, I won’t be holding my breath

Can’t wait for XIII, though! And what a treat it would be if they could get Grant to come back!
                  "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

TV Show, Stage Show, Hip Replacements, Movie. I think that's what they meant.

Sorry. Low shot. Below the belt you might say.

I can't readily think of another show that's racked up 30 years, that still has the same cast. Ok - Home & Away still has Alf Stewart (I think? Haven't watched for 20 years) Doctor Who has survived 50 +, But if Tom had, for example, never resigned nor been sacked, he'd be hobbling around the TARDIS like - well, like in the new Shada footage...

I will at this point as graciously as possible accept the fact that a huge part of me can also accept the fact that a reboot/recast would be abhorrent to a lot of fans of any show, but particularly a long lived sci-fi cult classic... It's not like we're watching Young & the Restless and some voice over can just say "the part of Roman is now being played by...".

The concept of a Red Dwarf movie, actual cinematic big budget sci-fi action movie, starring a bunch of 50-60 year old men, not just based on, but following on from a show that began in 1988 - seems ludicrous to me... Space Cowboys was a lot of fun, playing with the fact that the guys were all so old... but it wasn't trying to be action packed, nor expect the audience to understand XIII seasons of storylines...

OK, 12 year old me is hating on 40 year old me right now so I'll run away.
                    Last edited by cosmichobo; 16 February 2018, 11:40 AM.
                    "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
                    and lots more!

Comment

Red Dwarf Series 13 confirmed
                      Saturday 28th April 2018, 7:53pm

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/3069/red_dwarf_series_13/

Red Dwarf is to return for a thirteenth series, the cast has confirmed.

Robert Llewellyn, who plays Kryten, and Danny John-Jules, who plays Cat, confirmed the news whilst speaking at the inaugural Thames Con convention in Oxfordshire today.

A new series has been discussed for some time, with writer and director Doug Naylor saying in an interview last year: "I've jotted down lots of ideas - I had so many ideas and we weren't able to do a lot of them because we were making 12 and not more." However, this is the first time it has been confirmed that production will commence.

UKTV channel Dave, which has broadcast the comedy since it returned in 2009, has yet to officially confirm another series, however discussing the hit sitcom at length during a special panel session at new fan convention Thames Con, the stars revealed that Baby Cow Productions are to film Red Dwarf XIII early in 2019.

Series 13 is likely to be broadcast towards the end of 2019 on Dave, which has been the home channel of the cult sci-fi comedy since it was revived in 2009 after 10 years off screen.

Referring to the sitcom's longevity, John-Jules quipped: "[Any of show's cast] would be like 'no we can't do thirteen series'; Red Dwarf guys would be like '13? Listen, let's start filming on Friday 13th!'"

Red Dwarf first launched on BBC Two in 1988. Earlier this year, Series 12 was voted the Best Returning TV Sitcom of 2017 by visitors to this website in the annual Comedy.co.uk Awards.

Little else is known about the new episodes at present, although all four starring cast members - Llewellyn, John-Jules, Chris Barrie and Craig Charles - will reprise their roles.

The previous two series, eleven and twelve, were commissioned and filmed at the same time but it seems Series 13 will be made on its own with no fourteenth outing planned at the same time.

This may be related to the proposed Red Dwarf live stage show that writer Doug Naylor has been developing, and in which it is believed the stars may tour.

Speaking to The Express last year, Naylor said: "When I say a tour, I mean do a live show at the O2, so we need to get a schedule that works for the O2 and certainly for Red Dwarf XIII. Probably if we did aRed Dwarf XIII and XIV [at the same time], it would make the O2 live show more difficult. So we'll probably do Red Dwarf XIII, live show and come back and probably do XIV after that."

During the hour-long Thames Con session, the duo also paid tribute to the writing of Doug Naylor, and of original series co-writer Rob Grant. Naylor co-created Red Dwarf with Rob Grant, however Grant moved on to work on different projects after Series 6. Grant's next show is the Radio 4 sci-fi comedy The Quanderhorn Xperimentations.

Meanwhile Naylor told said last year that he too is working on another project, "a science fiction thing, contemporary, two one hours". He explained: "I thought I'd finished about four months ago and because I've got so many things on, I thought what I needed was a couple of days just tweaking it [...] but it will still need tweaking."

More details about the new series of Red Dwarf and the potential live stage show are expected in due course.
                      Last edited by Alan; 28 April 2018, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Series 13? Yaaaaay!

*reads some more*

2019? WHAT THE HELL

(Yes I am well aware of Red Dwarf's long periods of downtime)

Comment

found this thought you might like to see it too.

The Story Of Red Dwarf - Comedy Connections

Comment

*LOL*

Great little doco on "the boys". I had no idea that Charles and Barrie didn't get on - at least in the early days! Not that it would affect future viewing (unlike say - knowing how much Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepphard hated each other on Moonlighting)...

My only addendum would be - I heard that Norman wanted more money, and that's why he left after S2 - not because he moved away from where they were filming... But I get why that would be presented differently.

I wonder if a re-cast movie is any more likely now that the original actors really are well and truly beyond being the stars for a big budget movie... I agree that casting would be HUGELY important, and you couldn't just pick "popular" actors... but with the right choices, no reason they couldn't make a successful reboot.
                            and lots more!

Comment

*LOL*

Great little doco on "the boys". I had no idea that Charles and Barrie didn't get on - at least in the early days! Not as shattering as Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepphard hating each other on Moonlighting for instance, but still interesting to know.

My only addendum would be - I heard that Norman wanted more money, and that's why he left after S2 - not because he moved away from where they were filming... But I get why that would be presented differently.

I wonder if a re-cast movie is any more likely now that the original actors really are well and truly beyond being the stars for a big budget movie... I agree that casting would be HUGELY important, and you couldn't just pick "popular" actors... but with the right choices, no reason they couldn't make a successful reboot.
                              and lots more!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
                                *LOL*

Great little doco on "the boys". I had no idea that Charles and Barrie didn't get on - at least in the early days! Not as shattering as Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepphard hating each other on Moonlighting for instance, but still interesting to know.

be careful what you wish for, A LOT of re boots deserve to get the boot, because smeg heads from the studio higher ups stick their fingers in the cake batter to the point that there isn't enough batter to make a decent cake, just maybe half of a half of a half of a tiny cup cake, then the entire re make gets sent directly to the bargain dvd bin if lucky, if not it goes to the cable networks where it gets chopped up for Saturday afternoon release or on the 4am spot as filler.

Comment

Working...
                                X