No announcement yet.

Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RED DWARF RETURNS IN 2020 FOR ITS FIRST-EVER FEATURE-LENGTH SPECIAL!

The wait is over. We're delighted to announce that Red Dwarf will return to Dave next year for its first ever feature-length special. Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn are back as Lister, Rimmer, The Cat and Kryten, in an all-new story written and directed by Doug Naylor and produced by Baby Cow Productions.

"I'm really excited to get back on board with the boys from the Dwarf," says Craig. "I can't wait to discuss Robert's prostate problems, Chris Barrie's hip replacement and have a proper look at Danny's new dentures whilst they marvel at the agelessness of the Charles physique. I will surely require the services of a chiropractor after dragging these doddering misfits through what promises to be our most epic adventure yet. Dave Lister, the human race's last hope in a hostile universe. God help us. And may the Dwarf be with you."

"I'm absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity of making more Red Dwarf," adds Doug. "UKTV have been a never-ending source of support and encouragement since we first started working together ten years ago. Can't wait to start shooting a format that I don't think has ever been done before. Smoke me a kipper, we're back and not just for breakfast."

The special will be filmed on location and at Pinewood Studios in front of a live studio audience, and is produced by Richard Naylor. Christine Langan is executive producer for Baby Cow.

And as if that wasn't enough, we've got something else exciting to announce, too. To celebrate the return of the small rouge one to our screens, UKTV has also commissioned a series of retrospectives - three 60-minute documentaries which will offer fans the definitive story of the show from day one right up to now. These retrospectives, produced by North One, will include a wealth of rare and unbroadcast material, as well as new interviews with cast and crew.

"Our relationship with Red Dwarf has been incredibly fruitful and satisfying so far," says UKTV's Head of Scripted Pete Thornton, "and it's been a real pleasure to see the cast and crew fully committed and seemingly enjoying themselves more than ever in the run up to this latest production. We've been talking to Doug and the team about how to take Red Dwarf forward and the special clearly offers us an exciting next step. It's going to be a proper event in the history of the series."

"I am a huge, life-long fan of Red Dwarf and I still re-watch it and re-read the books regularly to this day," adds Luke Hales, Dave's channel director. "So it goes without saying that it gives me huge pleasure to be a part of the team this time around. I am as excited about this one as a viewer as I am in my role as channel director on Dave. The episodes we've made for the channel so far have been brilliant, and what a way to welcome it back too, with a feature-length special and three-part look back at the show's history. We at the Dave team literally cannot wait to bring this huge treat to our viewers."
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

A scene from my faovirte episode of Series 5, Back to Reality; truly enjoyable

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        RED DWARF RETURNS IN 2020 FOR ITS FIRST-EVER FEATURE-LENGTH SPECIAL!

The wait is over. We're delighted to announce that Red Dwarf will return to Dave next year for its first ever feature-length special. Craig Charles, Chris Barrie, Danny John-Jules and Robert Llewellyn are back as Lister, Rimmer, The Cat and Kryten, in an all-new story written and directed by Doug Naylor and produced by Baby Cow Productions.

"I'm really excited to get back on board with the boys from the Dwarf," says Craig. "I can't wait to discuss Robert's prostate problems, Chris Barrie's hip replacement and have a proper look at Danny's new dentures whilst they marvel at the agelessness of the Charles physique. I will surely require the services of a chiropractor after dragging these doddering misfits through what promises to be our most epic adventure yet. Dave Lister, the human race's last hope in a hostile universe. God help us. And may the Dwarf be with you."

"I'm absolutely thrilled to have the opportunity of making more Red Dwarf," adds Doug. "UKTV have been a never-ending source of support and encouragement since we first started working together ten years ago. Can't wait to start shooting a format that I don't think has ever been done before. Smoke me a kipper, we're back and not just for breakfast."

The special will be filmed on location and at Pinewood Studios in front of a live studio audience, and is produced by Richard Naylor. Christine Langan is executive producer for Baby Cow.

And as if that wasn't enough, we've got something else exciting to announce, too. To celebrate the return of the small rouge one to our screens, UKTV has also commissioned a series of retrospectives - three 60-minute documentaries which will offer fans the definitive story of the show from day one right up to now. These retrospectives, produced by North One, will include a wealth of rare and unbroadcast material, as well as new interviews with cast and crew.

"Our relationship with Red Dwarf has been incredibly fruitful and satisfying so far," says UKTV's Head of Scripted Pete Thornton, "and it's been a real pleasure to see the cast and crew fully committed and seemingly enjoying themselves more than ever in the run up to this latest production. We've been talking to Doug and the team about how to take Red Dwarf forward and the special clearly offers us an exciting next step. It's going to be a proper event in the history of the series."

"I am a huge, life-long fan of Red Dwarf and I still re-watch it and re-read the books regularly to this day," adds Luke Hales, Dave's channel director. "So it goes without saying that it gives me huge pleasure to be a part of the team this time around. I am as excited about this one as a viewer as I am in my role as channel director on Dave. The episodes we've made for the channel so far have been brilliant, and what a way to welcome it back too, with a feature-length special and three-part look back at the show's history. We at the Dave team literally cannot wait to bring this huge treat to our viewers."
        Happy to hear of the confirmation of Red Dwarf's return! A little surprised that its only for a one-off special on this occassion. Not really sure what to make of that TBH and unsure what it means for the future but still happy to have the Boys from the Dwarf back again!

Thanks for sharing!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

i've just been re-watching Season 5, and I have to say I think it's the pinnacle for the show.

There's not a clanger amongst them, and I could honestly sit down and re-watch any of them all over again right now.

As for the above "movie-length" special announcement - it's presumably the confirmation of the end of any attempt to put out any more full seasons. Perhaps it will in fact serve as a final finale, once and for all... with a sneaky reboot hint at the end.
          back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
          "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
          "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
          and lots more!

Comment

This wiki suggests that the 2004/5 cinematic movie of Red Dwarf - that did NOT go ahead - would have been a complete reboot, AND a complete re-invention of the back story to the show. Thank F this didn't come about! I absolutely want to see a reboot, with a fresh cast, but I don't want to see it leave the original storyline. There's so much in the original novels that wasn't touched on - or at least - there's so much there that could be told in ways not yet seen - there's no need to just toss it aside.
            "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
            and lots more!

Comment

It's not at all the length of the new story that's got me wondering about it being the end -- it's the specials. There's no particular milestone anniversary for the show associated with 2020, so why make three hours of retrospective documentaries? To me, that smells like they plan on ending it, and here's some specials for you to wax nostalgic over at the same time.
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Yaaay it's coming back.
                Hope it doesn't end anytime soon.

Comment

So the Promised Land landed, and - no one bothered to comment?

I watched the first few minutes when it came out... and now - a year later? - have watched about the first 20min? (Til they were abandoning Red Dwarf cos of the reboot Holly)

If I closed my eyes, and didn't look at them... they still didn't actually do justice to the characters. Rimmer said it best when he commented that at their stage of life, they just want to settle down with something cosy and not be rushing off around the universe. Let them die in peace... and let someone who loves the original story reboot it for a whole new era.
                  and lots more!

Comment

Working...
                  X