No announcement yet.

Cor-Ai (115)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teal'c is indeed remorseful. Its refreshing to have someone admit responsibility (even if he truey had no control) and is ready and willing to accept the consequences. As opposed to some people who admit guilt and indicate they are remorseful but think that because of it they should get a lesser or no punishment or worse the people that are not remorseful at all and think they had a right to treat others poorly.
    Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Liked this episode, I though it really showed Teal'c true colours.
      ~ charmed slayer ~

Comment

a ok epsiode showed that teal'c did good things while being with aposhis
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Yes I also felt that it was important to show his past. Especialy when it's a good one.
          sigpic

Comment

i thought this episode was a great one and im glad too see that teal'c was able to make and get out of that place in one peace

Comment

Originally posted by Sheppard View Post
              i thought this episode was a great one and im glad too see that teal'c was able to make and get out of that place in one peace
              Ok, first I LOVE your sig. Second, I'm glad he got out too! You know how Jack was so bent on getting Teal'c out? My friend and I have a joke...friends don't let friends Cor'Ai. But really, this shows how honorable Teal'c is. He did some horrible things, admittedly, but he is willing to take responsiblity for them.

Comment

Boy, I think this is one of the most underappreciated episodes. Like everyon'e mentioned, obviously it was good to get some insight into Teal'c's character and to understand how he's really a good guy then and now. So there's that.

There's also the really interesting (and relevant) issue of war crimes/being responsible for acts that were committed while following orders. How could you not be livid with General Hammond for refusing to dispatch a combat unit to save Teal'c's life? I really related to Jack's fury because it was really a slap in the face to Jack, as well. Jack had just told the general that he'd been responsible for some dubious things while following orders and in the military, where trust is paramount, you'd like to think that you're not going to be abandoned when the time comes to be held accountable. That Teal'c was basically sentenced to die because Hammond would not send help was a really heinous act to Teal'c, Jack and the whole team.

And Hammond stressed it wasn't just the president's opinion, it was his, too! If I was Teal'c (or Jack), I'd have real issues with Hammond, who up until now has always been a good, honorable guy. The excuse that Teal'c is not an American (nor an Earthling) really puts Teal'c in his place, I guess.

Another interesting issue brought up in this episode was the sci-fi oldy but goody of whether to interfere in lesser developed cultures. Only it was done really cool because on the one hand, these peoples' justice system, obviously compared to ours, is retarded. It's like they need a lessen in law 101. You can make the argument that just because it's not like ours doesn't mean it doesn't have merit, but c'mon ... a society where the accuser presides over and determines guilt and punishment of the accused is destined for complete failure. Anybody could kill anybody for any reason.

Also, what about Jack's assurance to Hanno that they could be helped by Earth in defending themselves against the Goa'uld? Is that a good thing? Going against Star Trek's prime directive could be a very bad thing ... and do you provide them with weapons when their justice system is so whacked?

I just really think this episode was great and needed some loving on. Wasn't perfect, of course. The fact that Apophis just happened to come to the planet between the time Jack and Sam left and when they returned was gay. And I agree with others' thoughts about it being moronic that the village surrounds the stargate, though I can almost buy the idea that it could be some sort of religious/cultural item of importance to them. Or, maybe it makes sense that they want to be right next to it so they are there to know when the Goa'uld are coming, but I dunno about that.

Comment

I wanted to add one more thing ...

I know Daniel was able to bring out in Teal'c's "trial" that Teal'c killed Hanno's father because he was handicapped and thus was actually saving future lives, but did anyone else get the distinct impression (and this didn't come up in the trial which I think provides more insight into Teal'c's character than anything else in this episode did) that Hanno's father was telling Teal'c to kill him?!!!

The beauty of this episode is abundant and complex to me. But the best part is that I don't believe Teal'c killed Hanno's father at all!!! He knew someone had to die because Apophis had ordered it, so he sacrificed himself when he saw a tiny bit of "humanity" in Teal'c's eyes by "telling" Teal'c to kill him. You could tell he was saying "kill me, I'm old and I'm crippled. Let the women and children live. Take me."

You could argue the wisdom of Teal'c in not revealing this, but again, the episode's point was to demonstrate how great Teal'c is and in insisting on dying for his crime against Hanno's father he is shown to be honorable and good. But Teal's is great and honorable not because he wanted to die for killing Hanno's father, but because he wanted to die for all of his crimes committed as Jaffa, least of which was killing Hanno's father who was telling him to do so!

Comment

Ugh. I didn't like it.

Rating: 2/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/05/cor-ai.html
                    My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                    http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Hart View Post
                      Boy, I think this is one of the most underappreciated episodes. Like everyon'e mentioned, obviously it was good to get some insight into Teal'c's character and to understand how he's really a good guy then and now. So there's that.
                      I agree. Underappreciated. From the synopsis, I have already assumed that this will be about Teal'c's deeds in the past vs. what he is now. But this isn't really what made the ep interesting for me.

There are quite a number of powerful scenes in this ep. Like the following:

the really interesting (and relevant) issue of war crimes/being responsible for acts that were committed while following orders.
                      This is one of the highlights of the ep for me. Should a soldier be punished for following orders? Jack mentioned something about chain of command and free will. Soldiers don't have free will by virtue of chain of command. Now, if you include religion here, one might say that free will is a gift from God and no man can take it away. Opinions?

2. I liked that scene in the control room when Hammond said something about the US govt does not involve themselves into other people's war/stuff/business, whatever. And Jack was like "since when?!". Hah! Apologies to americans, but honestly, Jack is right.

3. Not rescuing Tealc because he's neither american nor earthling. But, they are willing to use him and send him on dangerous missions. While they were using Tealc, the govt does not seem to mind that he was once Apophis' first prime.

Another interesting issue brought up in this episode was the sci-fi oldy but goody of whether to interfere in lesser developed cultures. Only it was done really cool because on the one hand, these peoples' justice system, obviously compared to ours, is retarded. It's like they need a lessen in law 101. You can make the argument that just because it's not like ours doesn't mean it doesn't have merit, but c'mon ... a society where the accuser presides over and determines guilt and punishment of the accused is destined for complete failure. Anybody could kill anybody for any reason.
                      Yes. I really found the "courtroom" scene very interesting as well. Jack's arguments about how the matter should be presided. That someone impartial should be the judge and not one who is emotionally attached to the case. Daniel did mention that the justice system we have now is quite new that older justice systems are quite the opposite. So let's all be thankful for living in the present.

I don't agree with giving the people weapons. I hope that Jack is not thinking about that when he made the offer. Maybe SGC will share knowledge to these people that is at their current level? With a price of course. After all, the prime directive of SGC is to find allies/technology/anything that can help them defend against the Goauld. If there is no benefit for Earth, I doubt that they will be back to that planet.

I just really think this episode was great and needed some loving on. Wasn't perfect, of course. The fact that Apophis just happened to come to the planet between the time Jack and Sam left and when they returned was gay. And I agree with others' thoughts about it being moronic that the village surrounds the stargate, though I can almost buy the idea that it could be some sort of religious/cultural item of importance to them. Or, maybe it makes sense that they want to be right next to it so they are there to know when the Goa'uld are coming, but I dunno about that.
                      Yup. these are some of the nitpicks I have for this ep. Especially the part about living near the stargate. Maybe Jack will teach them to... move somewhere else. Like away from the gate. Or perhaps he'll tell them to take down the stargate. there was really no explanation as to why they surrounded the stargate. they can always post guards near the stargate. then the guards can alert the villagers wherever they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Hart View Post
                        You could argue the wisdom of Teal'c in not revealing this, but again, the episode's point was to demonstrate how great Teal'c is and in insisting on dying for his crime against Hanno's father he is shown to be honorable and good. But Teal's is great and honorable not because he wanted to die for killing Hanno's father, but because he wanted to die for all of his crimes committed as Jaffa, least of which was killing Hanno's father who was telling him to do so!
                        IMO. Death will not erase his sins. It will not bring back the people who died. It will not erase the past. It will not make things right. Hanno is right in that the present will not change the past. So will death. Death is too easy. I don't even think that it is really a punishment. Living with your sins is the worst punishment I think.

While alive, one can still atone for one's crimes/sins by helping others. By living ones life to the fullest. By doing the right things. By protecting all that is good and just. SG-1 should watch Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X in some countries).

Comment

I was going to ask why they kept their village so close to the StarGate, but I decided to go back and see if anybody had a theory. I saw that a couple of people had asked the question and a couple had a theory. They said that the gate had religious significance therefore they decided to creater there village around it.

I believe that they keep the gate close for one reason and that is so they know when the Goa'uld are coming. As soon as the gate starts to light up they can run and flee. It gives them time to hide, whereas if they were far away they would be caught off guard. They follow a simple saying that makes complete sense "keep your friends close and your enemies closer".

I apologize if someone had posted something similar to this before I didn't read every post, I just kind of skimmed.
                          sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately this probably is among my not so favourite episodes of season 1, just seemed boring to me.

The idea has current/present significance though - who is at fault those that carry out the crimes or those that order them. It's kind of the un-winable argument really because everyone will see it differently depending on the acts carried out and by whom.

In Teal'c's defence though Aphosis had everything over him and at least in this instance there really wasn't much he could do. Teal'c probably helped to save many more by killing one, it was either that or let Aphosis order to kill everyone.

What was with Jack in a black cap? Seemed really out of place since he always wears the green one.

Stargate SG-1 Re-Watch: Season 1, 2, 3

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep & think this is 1 of the greatest character developing episodes for Teal'c. Aside from how enjoyable it was or not, it was a very important ep & helped answer a great many questions about Teal'c that sprang from the pilot. Who & what exactly Teal'c is as a man was first hinted at when he said "Many have said that, but you're the first who I believe could do it". Yet not once in the 2nd ep "The enemy within" did anyone ever ask "Why did you defect"? They pumped him for info without ever attempting to know anything about him. That stems from the fact that the writers were still building the basis of the show & had yet to answer the same questions themselves. We have yet to meet Bra'tac who was I think introduced as a means to explain where Teal'c belief that the "Gods" are false came from. In a world where everyone is raised to think they are real Gods, It must be rare to even think of deviating from the norm & Teal'c belief needs explanation.

From this ep we discover that Teal'c is a tortured soul with a good heart who'd been forced to serve a dictator & do evil as the only way to defy that same evil. Teal'c never shows much emotion or volunteers much in the way of his personal opinions, but it became very apparent that he has a great depth of feeling, & love of his people. Teal'c has the true honor of a knight who detests harming innocents & I think to a point he hates himself for all he's done & see's that nothing he does to make things right will ever erase the evil he's committed in the past. I think Teal'c gave himself up to the trial a bit too easily, but it just shows to an even greater depth the pain & remorse he's buried deep inside him from decades of being Jaffa, & in the end 1st prime. Even worse, he's allowed himself to be labeled a traitor by his own people much the same way Worf did in Star Trek TNG. He's a lost soul traveling beween worlds not knowing exactly where he belongs or if he'll ever have a family again or a place he can call home. For Teal'c SG1 is the means by which he may be able to free his people & possibly find some redemption for himself. Afterall, I think the biggest question is "Can Teal'c ever truly forgive himself for everything he's done in the past". Cor-Ai says no. Not yet anyway

Comment

I actually felt bad for him in the ep...I didn't think he should be punished for things he had no control of. He was full of remorse for all that was done...But I guess as in life, we must pay for our wrongs...

Comment

Working...
                                X