• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cor-Ai (115)

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE SG-1 - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 115

Teal'c must stand trial for a crime committed while he served as first prime of Apophis when a villager on an alien world identifies him as the Jaffa who killed his father.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 06 February 2021, 11:22 PM.

Ah the Byrsa. It seems to me that if I was them, I'd've moved the village a little farther away from the stargate, but that's just me.

Teal'c's willingness to undergo the Cor-ai even though he knew he would be killed was one of the high points of the series. It shows just how much he has really changed from the time he was First Prime of Apophis. Willing to give retrubution to Hanno and metaphorically all of the others he had wronged in service to Apophis. Was sorry to see Shak'l go, kinda liked him. Hanno's question towards the end "You would save those who wish you dead?" and Teal'c's reply "Would save those who deserve to live." really show that he is no longer the Jaffa he once was.
    The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
      Ah the Byrsa. It seems to me that if I was them, I'd've moved the village a little farther away from the stargate, but that's just me.

Teal'c's willingness to undergo the Cor-ai even though he knew he would be killed was one of the high points of the series. It shows just how much he has really changed from the time he was First Prime of Apophis. Willing to give retrubution to Hanno and metaphorically all of the others he had wronged in service to Apophis. Was sorry to see Shak'l go, kinda liked him. Hanno's question towards the end "You would save those who wish you dead?" and Teal'c's reply "Would save those who deserve to live." really show that he is no longer the Jaffa he once was.
      I don't think he's "changed" so much as he's now able to express his views without fear of punishment from his "god".
      ~BCM =)

Open Source Initiative (OSI)
      The GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
        I don't think he's "changed" so much as he's now able to express his views without fear of punishment from his "god".
        which would be the change...
        The opinions of KorbenDirewolf do not necessrily represent the opinions of other male U.S. residents between the ages of 18 and 25.

Comment

All I was saying is I see it more as a situational change not a character change.

I think Teal'c would have been just as willing to face his fate back when he was serving under Apophis but because he was first prime it wasn't likely to happen. However now that his situation has changed he is actually having to face those concequences.
          ~BCM =)

Comment

Originally posted by KorbenDirewolf
            which would be the change...
            Not quite. The Teal'c who shot Hanno's father was very much the Teal'c of today: excercising decisions of compassion and mercy whenever and however he could do it. The change between the two Teal'cs is that today's man no longer confronts situations where his compassion and mercy are denied, whereas the Teal'c of old hardly ever had that chance and instead did what he was commanded to do by Apophis.

Teal'c saw Hanno's father's silent plea, and complied with it: if you have to take one, take the one who would only hurt the others if he continued to live. There's a bit of synergy here that is brought up in "Threshold"— you cannot break Apophis' command... but you can bend it a little.

...I think Teal'c would have been just as willing to face his fate back when he was serving under Apophis but because he was first prime it wasn't likely to happen. ...
            I'll have to disagree. Back then, Teal'c didn't see any hope of attaining freedom because the Byrsa, like him, were a people held underfoot by the Goa'uld tyranny. He could have defied Apophis's order— maybe even have turned and fired on his own men, but he would have had no chance then on playing further upon his act of rebellion: no where to go, no ally to fight with. He would have fought and died for his conscience and his freedom— but would have died alone.

When Jack and the gang showed up, it was a revelation to Teal'c: an entire race of humans who had never trembled to the word "Goa'uld". Here was his chance: an alliance with a people who were in a good position to combat the Goa'uld and win. "Many have said that... but you are the first I believe could do it."
            Last edited by Rhydderch Hael; 22 May 2004, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhydderch Hael
              Back then, Teal'c didn't see any hope of attaining freedom because the Byrsa, like him, were a people held underfoot by the Goa'uld tyranny. He could have defied Apophis's order maybe even have turned and fired on his own men, but he would have had no chance then on playing further upon his act of rebellion: no where to go, no ally to fight with. He would have fought and died for his conscience and his freedom but would have died alone.
              I didn't mean that he would turn on Apophis, what I meant was that had Teal'c been called into acount for killing the man's father he would have faced his fate and not tried to run. However because he was Apophis' First Prime it wasn't likely that he would have to face the concequences.

When Jack and the gang showed up, it was a revelation to Teal'c: an entire race of humans who had never trembled to the word "Goa'uld". Here was his chance: an alliance with a people who were in a good position to combat the Goa'uld and win.
              Frankly I find Teal'c's switch bothersome. I love Teal'c and I think his character is wonderful (especially when he gets a chance to speak! ), but his change just doesn't work for me. You said "people who were in a good position to combat the goa'uld." And for me that's the rub, they weren't in a good possition. They were in the crappiest possition they could be in. They were prisoners, and Teal'c had no clue how many there were, or how strong they were. To just up and take off with some nobody you just meet isn't the smartest idea, other then the fact that the script says it's the right thing to do.

"Many have said that... but you are the first I believe could do it."
              And that line always baffled me too, because up till then he's seen humans from earth get the crap kicked out of them by Jaffa. IMO there is no reason why Teal'c should believe that statement except for the fact that the script told him to say it.

I understand it's supposed to show he's noble, and virtuous, and a good judge of character, and I did see that, but it still bothers me.
              ~BCM =)

Comment

I must admit to being a little confused over this one.

If I was living in an area close to where enemies keep appearing, then I would move away. Mind you a lot of people live on the San Andreas fault, even though they know that one day........

Perhaps it's just Human optimism.
                sigpic

Comment

Excellent Teal'c ep,IMO. I liked his "I'm sorry,O'Neill.I will not run" line.
                  Whatever he may have been,or done in Apophis' name, before changing sides,I feel that line summed Teal'c up very well.
                  The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I'm working on a Teal'c fanfic and I watched this episode yesterday. I was struck by how little we knew about Teal'c back then and how his inner calm and moral compass has really changed very little. We've just seen more of it over the seasons.
                    "You're creepin' me out, Mc Kay." Carter

Comment

This episode definitely shows teal'c's honor.

Comment

The natives have a weird legal system.

Comment

Well, it isn't like ours, but I can understand it.

Comment

Yeah that's what I was thinking as I posted it.

Comment

...Frankly I find Teal'c's switch bothersome. I love Teal'c and I think his character is wonderful (especially when he gets a chance to speak! ), but his change just doesn't work for me. You said "people who were in a good position to combat the goa'uld."
                              Teal'c saw Jack's watch and new it was technology above the common human's level, yet was distinctly alien as well ("This is not Goa'uld technology...") And Daniel's revelation of their homeworld would have triggered one certain impression...

up till then he's seen humans from earth get the crap kicked out of them by Jaffa.
                              ...the impression I convey here: your statement is incorrect. Up until now, what Teal'c has seen of the humans from Earth (from the world marked by Daniel in the sand) was a bunch of people who managed to kill two of Apophis' personal warriors. Did you catch Apophis' expression when the first Serpent Guard was killed? A bit of a "WHAT!? How dare you!" thing going on there.

Suffice it to say, it may not (it should not!) be everyday that a bunch of "primitive" human slaves manage to kill one of your god's personal guards. Much less a pair of them. Stuff like that tends to create an impression.

Comment

Working...
                              X