Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOT and Continuum : Movies or long episodes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOT and Continuum : Movies or long episodes?

Do The Ark of Truth and Continuum play out as movies or long episodes to you? Obviously, they are movies, but the question still stands. To me, they play out as two-hour episodes. While "Unending" makes for a good finale, The Ark of Truth feels more like a two-hour series finale than a movie. Continuum works as a nice bonus adventure similar to how Season 8 ended with "Moebius." Ultimately, they are basically TV movies. Yes, there's that direct to video term, but it's semantics to me. I define a TV movie as any movie made on a smaller budget for home viewing rather than a theatrical presentation. TV movie, direct to video; it's the same to me.

they feel like movies to me, not, like the Star Trek movies, but movies none-the-less

Comment

One thing that striked me as low budget was recycling the theme from the original film at the beginning of The Ark of Truth. It was too recognizable. The various Star Trek movies have recycled musical themes, but not so identically so. I would have loved to hear The Ark of Truth open with a longer, more cinematic SG-1 theme rather than reuse the original film's theme.

Comment

ark of truth long ep

Continuum movie
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
          ark of truth long ep

Continuum movie
          Your kinding yourself. If either one was a movie its AoT? Continnum was nothing more then an episode of character drama.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Isn't it all character drama? Continuum had it's fair share of action, adventure, and suspence. Also, I liked how what was left of SG-1 had to face the reality of never repairing the timeline. I really liked that aspect of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              Isn't it all character drama? Continuum had it's fair share of action, adventure, and suspence. Also, I liked how what was left of SG-1 had to face the reality of never repairing the timeline. I really liked that aspect of the movie.
              Barely for me. It seemd to much focus of SG1 in the alternate reality. The story was kind of dull with a very small plot. Felt like a standard SG1 episode. You know what it felt like Threads
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

They're structured like movies, completely different from a two parter, AoT especially.

Comment

I agree I always see The Ark of Truth as a 2-Hour Series Finale just because it's wrapping up the storylines that went through Season 9 and 10 as for Continuum I see it as a movie cause it's wrapping up the ba'al storyline.

Comment

I meant that AoT is structured much more like a movie than Continuum, with Continuum you can pretty much pinpoint where they would have split it in half. AoT is paced like a proper action movie IMO.

Comment

both were a LOT like episodes. though i think Continuum is more movie-like.

Comment

Define a movie. Seriously.

Both the original X-Files movie and 'X-Files: I want to Believe' are movies, but both are extremely different in terms of pacing and theme. How about movies that have no apparent plot? Where stuff just happens?

Are budgets the issue? Or plot? What?

The only reason they might feel less 'movie like' to me is the fact that they're continuations of existing plots, which typically you don't get with movies.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Well an episode is 5 acts and a teaser, the movies are 3 long acts.

Comment

Story content has nothing to do with wether it feels like a movie or long TV episode. One story can be told across many formats. Budget and story structure would be what makes the difference. If the movie has the same budget as two episodes, it's basically a long episode. However, if it's formatted like a movie; then it will play out more cinematically regardless of budget.

One thing that hurt the SG-1 films is that they assume you've seen the show and already know what's going on. One of my best friends has never seen a single episode. If he tried to watch the movies, he'd have no idea what's going on.

Comment

Movies. Both AOT and Continuum seems to be a bit different from the series.
                              Hail Marrick!
                              Hail the Grand Time Machine!
                              "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X