Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant

Default Does anyone else have trouble relating to any of the main characters?

I don't think I've really related to Eli at all this season. I was surprised though since eli is an overweight geek/nerd like myself. Still, I can't seem to relate to this guy.

Anyone else thought about this?

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

Default Re: Does anyone else have trouble relating to any of the main characters?

Rush- i can relate with wanting to be a loner.

greer- i can relate with his anger and doing what needs to be done in situations even if it seems extreme (divided)

Default Re: Does anyone else have trouble relating to any of the main characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
    Rush- i can relate with wanting to be a loner.

greer- i can relate with his anger and doing what needs to be done in situations even if it seems extreme (divided)
    I relate with Greer for somewhat the same reason.

However, why is it important to relate to any of the main characters?
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post

However, why is it important to relate to any of the main characters?
    it depends on the people watching some people need a connection to like the characters and to understand their place in the story.

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

I haven't had any problems relating. I don't have to BE exactly like the person to get what they're going through and I think SGU does a great job of making me one with their situation.

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

It's funny, one thing I have learned in life is to pretty much expect anything out of people. So, in watching SGU I find it entertaining.
    SGU fangirl

Lieutenant General poundpuppy29's Avatar

I love Eli I like Chloe but I can't relate but the only characters in SG I related to are Daniel & Elizabeth & to some extent Teyla & Ronon but I still like series

My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
    poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

I have trouble to relate with most of them, except for Rush. I like imperfect and sometimes devious characters, without falling into Melrose Place or soap opera stereotypes. Everyone else seem to be more like draft or a rough sketch. Hard to explain. Maybe in Season 2 that feeling will go away.
    http://i.imgur.com/EKpylFR.jpg
    Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
    Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Staff Sergeant

I can't relate anyone to myself except eli, but i fully understand almost every characters, the only one i cannot understand is Young.

At the end of S1, he was like just afraid of making any decisions, so anybody said anything, he just went along with it.

I wasn't able to relate to any of ther characters on SG-1 and SGA either, so it's not really a surprise for me.
    I can relate to certain decisions and character traits and all but then again, I haven't been stuck on an Ancient ship lately.
    += +lots of children
    Ronon Dex/Jennifer Keller supporter!

I guess I can relate the most to Eli because hes kind of a dork and sometimes says things that no one gets. I can relate to Rush a bit because of his cynical nature. I can also kinda relate to TJ a bit because she trys to be understanding and helpful even when shes in over her head. Those three also happen to be my favorite characters.

I never related to any of the Stargate characters. I love them, admire them, some of them were my role models when I was a kid, but I don't get why should I relate to them? I don't need it to enjoy the show. In fact I tend to like more shows which feature the characters that are totally unlike me, the more different the better. It's more interesting for me that way.

That said, I find bits and pieces of myself in many SGU characters.
    There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
    awesome sig by Josiane

Chief Master Sergeant kansaikimono's Avatar

Sometimes, it's less about being like the character and more about wanting to be with the character. I often find male characters who set themselves apart to be very attractive. The viewer gets inside information as to what makes them tick and why they behave the way they do. Consequently, the ego tells you, "If I were there, I could show him I understand and he would trust me as a friend."

Perhaps unconsciously this is what we find most appealing in our favorite characters, particularly sci-fi: that intimacy shared between friends. Knowing that WHATEVER happens, they are always there and will never leave you. Think about REAL LIFE. How many people (family aside) do you know who would do what the SG characters do for each other? How many are intellectual, physical, and emotional equals? How many know just how to best encourage you? How many have the patience to deal with you when you're being plain b-----?

I think most humans are very lonely, despite all the techno communicating we do. We are, by nature, social/pack creatures. Even when we say we want to be alone, it's usually because, while we want close friends, we'd rather be alone than put up with the idiots around us.

SG offers us the Good Guys, the ones we want to have over to our house, to go out with, to spend time with.
    [IMG]http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=43175&dateline=1284093142[IMG]

McKay Re: Does anyone else have trouble relating to any of the main characters?

Not only can I not relate to any of them, I find myself wanting to stab most of them in their sleep. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
    Not only can I not relate to any of them, I find myself wanting to stab most of them in their sleep. *shrug*
    Now that's disturbing.

Like Petra, I can see bits and pieces of myself in most of the characters, but it's not a huge thing for me to relate to the characters. I love Daniel to bits but don't relate to him at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callista View Post
    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HPMom View Post
    She saw the candle light as many things.

I don't know about relating but I really like TJ and Lisa Park, IMO the two best characters in SGU the rest are just annoying especially Rush and Greer can't stand those two.

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

You're supposed to relate to them? Me, I just find them so darn interesting to look at and watch go nuts and kill each other.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

River's Roommate carmencatalina's Avatar

Ok, creepy comment alert.

we'll alert greer. and why cause SGU replaced SGA?