Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone else have trouble relating to any of the main characters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by donald85 View Post
    No main character cuts it.
    Perhaps Brody comes close.

Greer is the worst, worst than the senator (Chloe's father) and should have died on 1st episode imho. Way too volatile. Colonel Young is too aggressive, Scott is too submitted and trying to be bossy. TJ is too confused.

Civil side, Rush is a monster, a mastermind turned bad. Eli is a kid with no maturity barely getting it together by the end, also volatile. Camille is disgustingly greedy for power. Chloe is clueless borderline neurotic.

None of these people should have been anywhere near a top secret science facility on another planet, not even for any inauguration. So the story of them being caught on Icarus and later stuck on Destiny is just not believable.

The series would have been so much more interesting with calm and clever people, not a bunch of panic-driven volatile screamers. Over the top drama.

--

In case you wonder, I liked the concept, the intrigue, the stories, the soundtrack, the scenes, decor, ambience...

but none of the characters, except "the ship".
    Yes, because you'd keep your cool and stay calm if you got gated against your will to butt-fk nowhere on the other side of the universe, stuck on an unstoppable ship with little food, water and air & being constantly attacked by hostiles.
    Spoiler:
    I don’t want to be human. I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter. Do you see the absurdity of what I am? I can’t even express these things properly, because I have to—I have to conceptualize complex ideas in this stupid, limiting spoken language, but I know I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws, and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me. I’m a machine, and I can know much more.

Comment

i felt the same way about all the SGU characters.

part of the reason why it's hard to relate to Eli is probably because his character was a blatant attempt by the showrunners to pander to scifi nerds. so there is always this underlying cynicism there, that people in the audience noticed, i think.
      but generally why it's hard to like anybody in SGU is because the show is dreary and miserable. there is no sense of camradery and togetherness among the crew and the point of the show isn't adventure or discovery, but survival (clinging to life to survive is miserable.. finding wonderment, friendship and adventures in life is meaningful)

in the first season of SGA there was a similar issue with the Atlantis cast. there was ego-clashes between Shepherd and Weir (for example in the episode where Shepherd refused to isolate, and instead demanded to go to the control room, in violation of Weir's orders. it was an ego-off, that really rubbed me the wrong way) and there was also the antagonistic military generals (in the pilot there was the guy who Shepherd shot to save him from the Wraith queen, and in the finale there was the general that took over Atlantis without showing any respect for the people at Atlantis, especially Weir). so there wasn't a sense that everybody is pulling in the same direction (which was never an issue with SG1, we always knew that SG1 was a great team, and Hammond was always on their side as well)
      so SGU was just a terrible show altogether, full of moapie, detached unlikable people that barely anybody can relate to. and when the show is dark and miserable, and the characters are unlikable, moapie, selfobsessed and emotionally detached, then nobody wants to be with these people or be on that ship. which leads people to not want to watch the show.

i like to say that SG shows last 2 seasons longer than they should have: SG1 S9 and 10 were a bit farcial on occasion.. SGA S 4 and 5 became dark and desaturated and less engaging and fun as a result. and SGU should never have existed xD

Comment

Originally posted by kapa1611 View Post
        i felt the same way about all the SGU characters.

part of the reason why it's hard to relate to Eli is probably because his character was a blatant attempt by the showrunners to pander to scifi nerds. so there is always this underlying cynicism there, that people in the audience noticed, i think.
        but generally why it's hard to like anybody in SGU is because the show is dreary and miserable. there is no sense of camradery and togetherness among the crew and the point of the show isn't adventure or discovery, but survival (clinging to life to survive is miserable.. finding wonderment, friendship and adventures in life is meaningful)

in the first season of SGA there was a similar issue with the Atlantis cast. there was ego-clashes between Shepherd and Weir (for example in the episode where Shepherd refused to isolate, and instead demanded to go to the control room, in violation of Weir's orders. it was an ego-off, that really rubbed me the wrong way) and there was also the antagonistic military generals (in the pilot there was the guy who Shepherd shot to save him from the Wraith queen, and in the finale there was the general that took over Atlantis without showing any respect for the people at Atlantis, especially Weir). so there wasn't a sense that everybody is pulling in the same direction (which was never an issue with SG1, we always knew that SG1 was a great team, and Hammond was always on their side as well)
        so SGU was just a terrible show altogether, full of moapie, detached unlikable people that barely anybody can relate to. and when the show is dark and miserable, and the characters are unlikable, moapie, selfobsessed and emotionally detached, then nobody wants to be with these people or be on that ship. which leads people to not want to watch the show.

i like to say that SG shows last 2 seasons longer than they should have: SG1 S9 and 10 were a bit farcial on occasion.. SGA S 4 and 5 became dark and desaturated and less engaging and fun as a result. and SGU should never have existed xD
        I couldn't agree more, in SG-1 and Atlantis we had McKay, Carter, and Daniel as our resident "science nerds"; those characters were much more heroic and aspirational for a viewer. I want to think of nerds as heroic alien fighters, not friendzoned kids caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Comment

I couldn't agree more, in SG-1 and Atlantis we had McKay, Carter, and Daniel as our resident "science nerds"; those characters were much more heroic and aspirational for a viewer. I want to think of nerds as heroic alien fighters, not friendzoned kids caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
          great point! McKay, Sam and Daniel were much better "nerds".

i always hated the dark tone of SGU, but the second thing that bothered me about that show, was the cynisism of the showrunners.

they made Eli a caricature of a nerd (they literally pick him because of his video game skills......) and they made the cast young (they made fun of that in the episode "200"). it shows contempt for the audience when you do that, but they didn't seem to care about that.

it's funny that the most popular character in SGU was still the old guy (Rush) xD there is some justice in that: their cynical view of what the audience likes didn't turn out to be true.. (even tho personally i never liked Rush.. he didn't feel like a scientist. scientists irl and in SG1 and SGA have a sense of wonderment and are usually not creepie xD Carter, McKay, Zelenka and Lee are much better characters, imo)
          Last edited by kapa1611; 13 September 2021, 10:29 PM.

Comment

I actually like most of the characters in SGU. I can relate to Greer somewhat and Rush, ironically enough. The scene where Rush and Greer have a mini-standoff with Rush talking about the dock workers in Glasgow felt very real, the idea being that Greer sees all the SGC personnel as entitled spoiled weaklings whereas Rush still sees himself as working class despite his obvious advantages of income because he earned it. Greer's character development through the two seasons is excellent. Rush also develops, learning to trust people a bit more (how authentic this is I don't know, but he does a good job of pretending if that's what he's doing).

Comment

Working...
            X