The Third Man (603)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Third Man (603)

“CASTIEL RETURNS — Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) call Castiel (Misha Collins) for help when they investigate a case about several dead police officers who seem to have been killed by the plagues of Egypt. Castiel confirms the staff of Moses was used to kill the cops and tells Sam and Dean that Heaven is in a state of chaos and God’s weapons have been stolen. The three head off to find the thief and come face to face with an old enemy.”
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

What, I'm first? Unbelievable.

That was a great ep that put a lot of things right. Such as Sam's car. May it rest in piece(s).

I remember thinking during the first ten minutes of the ep, "This is Sera's way of thanking the fans". I mean, we get shirtless Dean in bed making love to Lisa, shirtless Sam working out (I think it's only fair Jared gets to show off the result of what must have been A LOT of working out), a nod at the Dean/Cas slashers with the 'special bond', gag-inducing visuals for the horror/gore faction (I made the mistake of watching this before breakfast, and now it's almost lunch time and I'm still not hungry! ), biblical themes for those loving the whole mythology stuff, the Impala beating the Charger for the Metallica fans, and later some Cas whump for those so inclined.

So, the world is (almost) back to normal. The boys travelling together in the Impala, on a new mission involving rogue Angels. Except that Dean has to take care of domestic crises at home, and Sam's behaviour that has been off since the beginning has now gone to WAY wrong and is worrying both me and Dean.

Good to see Cas back, trenchcoat and all. The poor guy has his hands full with all his siblings getting out of control. That was a low blow Balthasar dealt him when he said Cas led the way with his rebellion. And kudos to the stunt double who did that fall down the stairs and out of the window! Also loved the FX when Raffael turned to stone.

Loved seeing Dean go back to his old tough, snarky self. The way he dealt with those angels was just a joy to behold.

And now that I know that the change in Sam will be explained I can sit back and enjoy his 'strangeness'. Jared's doing a great job of portraying somebody trying to play the old Sam. If that makes any sense at all. It's like he's possessed, and the creature inside him tries to act like Sam but can't quite pull it off. I'm beginning to look forward to those heart-to-heart talks the boys have at the end, where Dean keeps digging, and Sam tries to explain things away.

I also loved the discussion of how much a human soul is worth. That's a point that has not been addressed yet. I had always assumed it was a kind of a competition between heaven and hell who gets more souls, and that's why the demons were trying to harvest them. But there seem to be more to it than that, and I'm looking forward to finding out more.

sigpic
    Check out my SGA and Fringe fanfics on fanfiction.net

Comment

Originally posted by starg8fans View Post
      And now that I know that the change in Sam will be explained I can sit back and enjoy his 'strangeness'. Jared's doing a great job of portraying somebody trying to play the old Sam. If that makes any sense at all. It's like he's possessed, and the creature inside him tries to act like Sam but can't quite pull it off. I'm beginning to look forward to those heart-to-heart talks the boys have at the end, where Dean keeps digging, and Sam tries to explain things away.
      Oh, it makes awfully lot of sense. And it really feels as if Sam knows how "old Sam" would react and he reacts this way, but it still feels odd (and I wouldn't need Dean to picture that out for me). There was the thing with the hooker - I can't imagine Sammy to pay for sex. And than this over-reassuring that everything is OK. It's just not.

Oh, and I also made the mistake again to eat my bowl of muesli while watching the episode. Not a good idea at all. *yikes*
      The cake is a lie!

Comment

Ok, random thoughts here in no particular order, done on only 1 viewing (I don't want to miss the discussion like last week, and I have an hour to kill before I fly to Chicago to meet our lovely lovely boys...and Misha , too!!) :-p

-Shirtless Jensen. Thank you, Sera.

-(Though for a realistic, non-gas-guzzler car I DO like Chargers): Seeing the two cars together, which emphasises just how much cooler the Impala is, Dean calling Sam's car a plastic piece of crap, Dean racing Sam (I still get a huge grin on my face.), the destruction of the plastic piece of crap, and Dean's "ok. Silver lining." (Sorry, I DID watch that scene again last night and realised I had misquoted it in other threads).

-Dean still being a 'Dad' to Ben was sweet.

-The deaths. The locusts (and the frog later), looked very CGI, so that didn't bother me. The boils and liquification? Disgusting. I was tempted to fast-forward, something I generally never would consider on a first viewing...but ewwww, had to look away.

-Great return for Cas. I love that he is this great mix of S4 and S5 Cas. Funny, yet not over the top, and more clueless again. I like that he came when Dean called (even if he said it wasn't BECAUSE he called) and wouldn't for Sam. Sam's frustration over that was believable. And for a MOMENT, Dean was big brother again, telling Cas he better come when Sam calls. (and the 'special bond' and Dean's reaction to that? Hilarious.)

-I also like how angel-y Cas was. He was flitting back and forth all over the place. Niced to have him at full power again.

-The Staff of Moses (or what did Dean say? Chuck Heston's disco stick?) Very cool idea of having these nukes in heaven. I liked the biblical references, too. Especially since they were ones I knew. As soon as Raphael looked I said, "Oh, Lot's wife!" (point of clarification, stars, he turned into a pillar of salt, not stone. That's what happened to Lot's wife. And it also explains Balthazar's comment afterwards, something about seasoning, or the pantry or something?)

-Little bit of Dean whump with the knife cutting. I'll take any whump I can get! I need to zip on over to the 'didja notice' thread after this with that: Didja notice that Cas grabbed Dean's right arm and hand and then when they reversed the angle, he had and cut Dean's left?

-Taking a kid's soul? Low blow. And Sam actually NODDING in agreement at what Cas is going to do?! At least Cas felt bad about it! But more on Sam in a bit.

-Balthazar. I LIKE him!! He isn't black or white. I also need to make a stop at the Where Do I Know Them From thread. The spoilers on Sebastian Roche being in this kept mentioning that he was from Fringe. Which I DO know as well, but for me he is always Jerry Jax from General Hospital!! And he always plays a bad guy, so I loved that they threw me by making him a 'friend' of Cas. He did an amazing job. He was actually very...likeable? And I am glad Cas let him go.

-Sam. WHAT the hell? This is getting extreme. I also am happy that there IS going to be a reason for his behaviour, so I can also appreciate what a good job Jared is doing, but seriously! They needed the intel, so go ahead and torture a kid?! Would he do that if it were BEN?!! The way he is acting now, he just might. I love that Dean isn't buying it and also isn't just letting it go, that he keeps pushing. But I can't stand how condescending Sam is being to Dean! It's one of those lingering issues I had with the end of last season. I agree Dean needed to let Sam grow up, but I DISagree that Dean should stop acting like a big brother. The two aren't mutually exclusive and I hate seeing Sam treat him like this. Please resolve this quickly, guys. Give Dean his Sammy back.

Ok, that's all I can think of for now. If I get a chance later, I might come back with quotes. Because I could do another post this long of just the fantastic quotes that filled this episode!
        Last edited by Crichiel; 09 October 2010, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I'll be able to comment better when I rewatch, but when the boys were talking and Dean said of all people, he knew what a trip to Hell did to a man, I kinda wanted to just smack Sam. I know that it would affect him differently, but he's acting like he isn't affected at all. And all that talk about Angels claiming souls kinda makes me feel like that may have something to do with Sam's "revelation" and why he's acting so weird.

Anyway, I gots to go be a college student on a football Saturday. And you two, try to remember to eat well before (or after) watching. We don't want you losing your lunch, or breakfast
          sigpic

Comment

Im trying not to read any of the comments because I'm finally watching what I recorded.

But, did anyone else almost puke when the boils just popped up?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by padr49904 View Post
              Im trying not to read any of the comments because I'm finally watching what I recorded.

But, did anyone else almost puke when the boils just popped up?
              Yeah, that was NASTY.

sigpic

Comment

I found the first guy to be the worst with his skin just falling off.

Interesting ep with the new questions and story threads that it could lead to. I liked the way they disposed of the Charger. I knew it had to be going soon. Though I do feel bad for Sam because that was his car.

Great to see Cas back and still as unable as ever to fight. I know, I know Raphael is an arc angel but poor Cas. So does that mean Raphael is dead now that he's a pillar of salt or that his vessel is just gone? I wasn't quite sure....as I don't see why they'd knock him off this early since he's leading the charge to get the Apocalypse back on track....which I'm gonna guess has something to do with Sam's return.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

Quick promotion, then on to the kajillion awesome quotes: Any of you who don't read EW.com's tvrecap each week of Supernatural really should. They are very funny and spot on in their praise and crioticisms of the show.

Ok, quotes:

Dean: Who died and made you boss? (Loved that it wasn't said with angst like in Death Takes a Holiday, it was said by a snarky brother)

Dean (to Ben on the phone): I know ylu're lying. Because I lie professionally that's how. (Great that he's that honest about what he does with Ben)

Dean: Still driving that plastic piece of crap, huh?

Dean: Gotta be some sort of lin between Skid Mark and Bubble Wrap here.

Sam: Were you racing me?
                  Dean: No. I was kicking your a$$.
                  Sam: Very mature.

Dean: But these guys ate their way out of a cop's melon. I don't quite remember that in the King James.

Dean: Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray to Castiel to get his feathered a$$ down here.
                  Sam: You're an idiot.

Castiel: Dean and I do share a more profound bond...(turning to Dean) I wasn't going to mention it.

Castiel: I think we can rule out Moses as a suspect. (Great look from Sam and Dean here)

Dean: What is Chuck Heston's disco stick doing down here anyway? I mean, don't you guys put away your toys?

Castiel: Sam, Dean, my "people skills" are "rusty". Pardon me, but I have spent the last "year" as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent.

Sam: Like a shirt tag at camp?
                  Castiel: I have no idea.

Sam: My car.
                  Dean: Ok, silver lining. (Still my favourite)

Dean: You mean the apocalypse? The one that we derailed?
                  Castiel: Yes, that one. Raphael wants to put it back on the rails.
                  Dean: Why? (His inflection is great here.)
                  Castiel: I need myrrh.

Castiel: Even I know that's a bad joke.

Balthazar: This morning I had a menage a....what's French for twelve?

Dean: Who's fighting? Peace out, douchewad.

Balthazar: Same thing happened to Lot's wife. Iodize that sucker and your kitchen is stocked for life.

Castiel: I believe the hairless ape has the floor.

Dean: It's Ben's Halloween costume.
                  Sam: Wendigo?
                  Dean: Yeah.
                  Sam: Accurate.

Last couple notes (obviously I watched it again to get these quotes)

-Dean is SO parental, I am loving this. He's the one who told Cas to take is easy when they confronted Aaron and he is also the one who could read the kid well enough to know he was lying (nice full-circle thing with the phone conversation with Ben earlier.)

-That "Angels buying souls" thing, I like that it threw all three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                    I found the first guy to be the worst with his skin just falling off.

Interesting ep with the new questions and story threads that it could lead to. I liked the way they disposed of the Charger. I knew it had to be going soon. Though I do feel bad for Sam because that was his car.

Great to see Cas back and still as unable as ever to fight. I know, I know Raphael is an arc angel but poor Cas. So does that mean Raphael is dead now that he's a pillar of salt or that his vessel is just gone? I wasn't quite sure....as I don't see why they'd knock him off this early since he's leading the charge to get the Apocalypse back on track....which I'm gonna guess has something to do with Sam's return.
                    Balthazar told Cas that Raffael would have to find a new vessel now, which would take time and give him a good head start. So Raffael is not out of the equation, only the actor playing him. Although we've seen it with Cas several times now that his vessel was completely destroyed, and still he always came back exactly as before. So his trenchcoat must have magical powers of recuperation as well.

Great list, Crichiel, found every one of my faves on there. 'Skid Mark and Bubble Wrap.' LMAO

sigpic

Comment

Love the list But I think one of my favorite lines was while Dean was "praying";

Sam: You're an idiot.
                      Dean: Stay positive.
                      Sam: Oh, I am positive.

That is just such a brotherly thing to say It's nice to see that they can do and say stuff like that, even while they still aren't sure about each other, like at the end of the ep. They're getting closer to having their relationship back on track.
                      sigpic

Comment

Yup, that was brilliant. And I just thought of another one:

Dean: There's too many angels. I don't know who's on first, what's on second...
                        Cas: What is second?
                        Dan: Don't start that.

I guess I noticed that because I just watched Rain Man with my kids.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                          Castiel: Sam, Dean, my "people skills" are "rusty". Pardon me, but I have spent the last "year" as a multi-dimensional wavelength of celestial intent.
                          This has to be my favorite Cas qoute of all time. I love the expression on his face and the air qoutes he puts up around "people skills", "rusty" and "year". I was cracking up the whole time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, Cas and the air quotes was hilarious! I had a teacher in high school that used excessive air quotes, so that made it a little funnier to me.
                            I really liked the combination of angel-Cas and the spent-too-much-time-with-Dean Cas. I hope they can keep a little bit of the Dean influence in him. I think it kinda differentiates him from the other angels, even more than the fact that he's not bad.
                            sigpic

Comment

I was laughing the whole time he was praying to Cas, it was an epic prayer that would get me hit by the usher if I used it at church.
                              Don't remember the part where they were talking about the skid marks and bubble wrap though, guess I wasn't watching really close.
                              And did anyone else expect them to hit Sam's car? It isn't Supernatural without them both together in the impala and the car really had to go.
                              Really would like to make a Wendigo constume now that they showed us a mask of it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X