Exile on Main St (601)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exile on Main St (601)

MITCH PILEGGI (“X-Files,” “Sons of Anarchy”) RETURNS AS DEAN AND SAM’S GRANDFATHER — It’s a year later and Dean (Jensen Ackles) has given up hunting and is living with Lisa (guest star Cindy Sampson) and her son Ben (guest star Nicholas Elia). Mysteriously freed from his cage in hell, Sam (Jared Padalecki) finds Dean and tells him he needs to rejoin the fight and introduces Dean to a world—a family—he never even knew existed.... the Campbells, his mother’s family, lead by none other than their Grandfather Samuel (Pileggi). Phil Sgrricia directed the episode written by Sera Gamble.
    Please use the report feature to request the thread to be opened

After a lot of aggrevation I got to watch the ep...so just my initial thoughts ...I'll need a re-watch though.

Overall I thought it was a great start. All the elements that needed to be touched on were done well. They packed a lot in there.

The introduction montage showing a snapshot of Dean's life was great. I liked that although he was getting on with a normal life but wasn't totally at ease with it.

This was pretty much a Dean centric episode and it worked really well. So pretty much everyone knew Sam was back ...except him. Poor Dean. I think he handled it pretty well in the circumstances. I agree with all the reasons why no one told him though. He did deserve some time out of the hunting world, to heal from all that emotional trauma if nothing else....he really was a wreck at the end of S5. It made sense....even though he was pissed about it. Probably still haven't heard the end of it and I expect it'll be brought up a gain in the future.

I wasn't sure how I was going to view Lisa...because to be honest I was totally underwhelmed with her introduction last Season. I considered her a necessary plot mover and that was it. So I was pleasantly surprised this episode. I liked her. She knows all about what Dean has been through and doesn't do the standard whiny clingy girlfriend bit plus she seems to have been given a pretty smart attitude to it all that I think will bode well for future eps. We'll see. I did feel a bit sorry for her though.... she seems to really love Dean (well who wouldn't) but he seemed a bit emotionally shut off from her...I don't think he feels the same towards her.

A great way to introduce Sam back....being there for Dean as he was having the life choked out of him...although we now know the YED was an hallucination. I thought the way he acted towards Dean was interesting, different to what we normally expect but hints at a new dynamic between them. Strained but civil. Not exactly what we're used to but something that will be worked on no doubt.

And there was the hug...not quite the one I wanted, with Sam's emotions being bolted down so tight, but better than nothing.

Sam is bound to be different after his time in the Cage with Lucifer and we get a taste of how he's changed with his conversation with Dean at the end. He's harder, closed off emotionally and the pain he's feeling is buried deep but he seems to know that being with Dean will help him.

So we get to see Bobby..yay! and the Campbell Clan and a mystery to how Grandpa Campbell is alive. He's not what he seems but that's enough explanation I need for now. I'm patient.

So Dean is left staying with Lisa and Ben...hmmmm....interesting. I bet that not going to last for long.

Oh yes..I have to have my fangirl moment...I love Sam's hair!
    Last edited by LizzieAnne; 26 September 2010, 12:41 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

I think I have many of the same feelings. I loved the montage at the beginning. Dean'd settled into a "normal" life, but he still had his instincts (loved the holy water and shotgun under the bed). Somewhere in there when arguing with Sam, Sam said he wanted that life and Dean said he wanted his brother. My take is that Dean would love to have Lisa and Ben, but he NEEDS Sam. And I think his whole reasoning at the end was that now that he's brought all this onto Lisa and Ben, he feel he needs to be there to protect them.

I'm still not sure where I stand on the Campbells. I guess Samuel was brought back after 30+ years for a reason, but that comment when they were capturing the Djinn didn't sit right with me. I think it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

This role-reversal will be interesting now. Sam being the stiff one with the buried emotions and Dean being the "bleeding heart". And I personally think, that no matter what their individual personalities change to or from, they need each other to balance out and almost form a complete single person.

Seeing as it's been about 12 hours since I watched it and I was kinda half asleep when I did, we'll see what else I can notice later.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by warrior_chic View Post
        I think I have many of the same feelings. I loved the montage at the beginning. Dean'd settled into a "normal" life, but he still had his instincts (loved the holy water and shotgun under the bed). Somewhere in there when arguing with Sam, Sam said he wanted that life and Dean said he wanted his brother. My take is that Dean would love to have Lisa and Ben, but he NEEDS Sam. And I think his whole reasoning at the end was that now that he's brought all this onto Lisa and Ben, he feel he needs to be there to protect them.
        Yes...whatever happens I don't see him leaving them in the lurch.

I'm still not sure where I stand on the Campbells. I guess Samuel was brought back after 30+ years for a reason, but that comment when they were capturing the Djinn didn't sit right with me. I think it'll be interesting to see where that goes.
        Yeah...something is definitely odd there about what Samuel said to the Djinn. That kind of indicates something isn't quite what it seems. I guess we'll find out...eventually..

Samuel said something about him coming down (from heaven I assume) as Sam came up (from Hell). Kind of insinuating that when one happened so did the other. No idea how that will play out though.

This role-reversal will be interesting now. Sam being the stiff one with the buried emotions and Dean being the "bleeding heart". And I personally think, that no matter what their individual personalities change to or from, they need each other to balance out and almost form a complete single person.

Seeing as it's been about 12 hours since I watched it and I was kinda half asleep when I did, we'll see what else I can notice later.
        Yeah I definitely need a re-watch. There was so much to take in.

After reading so many spoilers about how their personalities were going to change I'm pleasantly surprised how they're being portrayed. And I agree they need each other, thankfully.

One thing I forget to say was what a great job Sera's done with this Première. Putting everything in place for a whole new direction the show had to take for it to survive.
        sigpic

Comment

I think it was a great season opener as well for setting up the new season and direction they want to take. I'm pretty excited about this season, especially after seeing this ep, and I've only read very minimal spoilers. That angel stuff really began to drag on me last yr.

As to Samuel, I'm interested to see where they go with this. I don't think they are bad, and I hope they don't make them out to be evil. Didn't Sam or one of the others say something about monsters acting differently or something...which I think is kind of a theme for this year, a more in depth look at the other monsters in the mythology. I think they held on to that djinn to question/study it maybe.

Nice to see Corin Nemec. By casting him I hope that means he'll be a bit more reoccurring and get a bit more to do.

I really excited for the new season. Especially seeing as this is only one of a handful of shows I watch.
          IMO always implied.

Comment

This sixth season is off to one hell of a nice start IMO. TPTB definitely haven't lost their touch, that is for sure.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I also think that this was an great start for the new season i just hope that Cas will come back and Hunt with the Winchesters again
              I dont know what i should think about Samuel and the others i have an bad vibe about them im really excited what will come next
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Jeffer View Post
                I also think that this was an great start for the new season i just hope that Cas will come back and Hunt with the Winchesters again
                I dont know what i should think about Samuel and the others i have an bad vibe about them im really excited what will come next
                Yeah, I don't totally trust them either. We need to know what was behind them taking the female Djinn alive.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Personally, the guy that played the out-of-nowhere cousin is also on a show called Flashpoint. So I'm kinda hoping he doesn't stay around too long, mostly so I can feel better about that show coming back intact. And Corin was the only completely new actor I remember being announced, so I'm not even sure I can guess how they will deal with the rest of the cousins and any other Campbells that come out of the woodwork, or as Dean put it, "out of the door".
                  sigpic

Comment

Awesome start to the season. When season 5 ended with such an awesome ep I was worried that it wouldn't live up to it but it did a good job. It would have been awesome for Yellow eyes to be back but I guess its not to be. Took me a few times of seeing Corin to realize who it was. In the start I was very surprised to see Dean living normally. I was thinking really nothing your not looking over your shoulder then it paned under the bed the shot gun the holy water and then demon trap under the front door mat. Grandpa Campbell has another agenda and it doesn't seem like Sam and Dean would be in favor of what ever he is doing.
                    Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffer View Post
                      Grandpa Campbell has another agenda and it doesn't seem like Sam and Dean would be in favor of what ever he is doing.
                      I agree. I think the boys would be happy to have Grandpa guiding and teaching, especially from what Dean experienced in "In the Beginning", but when they boys figure out what he's up to, at least now, I can see it driving a big ol' wedge between them. And there was something Samuel said, along the lines of "the Campbells are back together", and we were looking at Sam when he said that. I thought I saw a little cringe or something from Sammy. The Campbells may be the original hunters of the family, but the boys got their hunting skills as Winchesters.
                      sigpic

Comment

All right, I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. I kept my mouth shut on the Swan Song thread (except to express my displeasure at the ep in general ) because I didn't want to be the buzzkill. But if I do that everytime I am unhappy, I am worried with the way the last four eps have gone that I won't be able to post much.

WARNING: I am really really REALLY going to lay into the episode here. So, if that bothers you, go ahead and skip this entire post. If it doesn't bother you, feel free to read, and if you disagree, I totally understand and respect that, and would love to hear couterpoints. But PLEASE don't flame me, I am just expressing my opinion.

First and foremost: Lose. The. Campbells. I wasn't happy with this development since it first got spoilered.

While I like the time travel episodes in general, I was never happy with the idea that Mary came from a hunting family. For one thing, I liked the idea of Mary (and John) being totally innocent and unaware of the hunting world and being thrust into it when it come out of nowhere. Sam and Dean are no longer special, doing a job that no one else can or will do. With all these hunting Campbells, you've taken the thing that defines Sam and (especially Dean), and made them....common. Not only are they not unique in the world, they aren't even special within their own family! There are relatives coming out left and right, all of whom were brought up in the business and (at this point) being portrayed as superior in hunting to Sam and Dean. They are tougher, more knowledgeable, been doing it longer...yada yada yada. They are making Sam and Dean come off as ineffective amateurs. I thought TPTB said they learned their lesson with Bela. Don't bring in new characters that are going to make your heroes look weak or stupid.

Which brings me to Dean's emasculation. He seemed WAY too comfortable living the suburban lifestyle. I mean, whatever the circumstances, this is still Dean we are talking about, right? Or maybe not. Aside from the one snide comment that it's "almost like I'm a professional", he sure didn't come off as our hero in this episode. He's THAT rusty after a YEAR?!! Give me a break. Sam was out for years at Stanford and had no problem getting back into the swing of things. (He had to adjust to the emotion of hunting again, but he was still good at the actual hunting, starting with the pilot). Of course, Sam wasn't that wonderful either. Sam couldn't take out one Djinn in a fight? Grandpa had to save him? Which then gives Sam the chance to go save Dean, because Dean isn't strong enough to fight either.

Which leads to Sam and his complete loss of emotion. There's character progression, and then there is just character change. And I know, I know, it's early. This is probably some residual stuff from his time in hell...which is ANOTHER sticking point with me. Why does everyone think Sam's time in hell would have been worse with Dean's. I never understood that. Sam was in hell for what? A few days? A week? So, in hell-time a year or two? And he was in the cage battling Michael. A battle, which to me implies give and take. Dean had THIRTY years of being powerless, strung up on the rack tortured, with no way to fight back until those last 10 years. Sounds a little worse to me.

Back to Grandpa Winchester. "You're a Campbell." I'm sorry, I fell in love with these WINCHESTER brothers. They were raised by John, you guys just showed up. That's like a birth parent showing up and telling the kid they're adopted family isn't their 'real' family, blood is more important (which isn't even a convincing argument because they ARE also Winchesters by blood). "Stick around, I'll show you things your daddy never even dreamed of."? Sure, why not? Let's take another of the show's coolest, most beloved characters, John, and say how flawed he was as a hunter as well.

Couple other nitpicks as long as I'm at it : I thought Sam and Dean's reunion was so stiff and...boring. Even from the clip that was released ahead of time, I could tell immediately that the YED was either dream/hallucination something, the soft rock song at the beginning? I know it highlighted Dean's new life, but it's the season premiere, for criminy's sake, I want the usual "get psyched" AC/DC of past years. The boring song just capped off a boring episode. Sam, a new Dodge Charger? Really? If you are going with a Charger, at least go for the Dukes of Hazard era one! And finally, where was the humour?!! There was, what, like 3 sarcastic lines?

Ok, what DID I like? Give me a second......No, I DID like the new title card. Dream or not, I LOVE Fred Lehne's YED, so i was happy to see him. I did like that they didn't SORAS (Soap Opera Rapid Aging Syndrome) Ben. They used the same actor, so he was the correct age. I liked Dean's relationship with Lisa. I, surprisingly, have always thought that they are a great match. She's strong enough to handle him. I liked going back to the Djinn. I loved Bobby in this episode. He at least is still the character I fell in love with.

And that's the crux of my complaints with this episode, I think the STORY had to going in a new direction after the apocalypse, but I disagree that the CHARACTERS had to. I fell in love with a show about 2 brothers. Dean, who was cocky, funny, and a scary-good hunter, with a lot of supressed emotion. Now this is a family guy, who isn't confident, isn't funny, and can't hunt worth a d***. Sam who was sweet, sympathetic, and a really good hunter, but one who didn't do it mindlessly, he wouldn't blindly kill Lenore just because she was a vampire. Now, he is cold, apathetic, and a better hunter than Dean, but not as good as The Amazing Campbells, but will kill mindlessly and needs DEAN to ground him. These are completely different people than the ones I loved watching each week. Even before I watched this show regularly, when I caught it here and there, I thought the stories and characters were wonderful (it was just too scary or confusing to watch). If I had seen this episode without knowing the show, I would have said, "Meh." And not have watched another one.

Fortunately, I DO know this show. And I will absolutely give them time to unfold the seasonlong story before final judgement. For the last 3 episodes of last season, I could see this heading in a direction I wasn't thrilled with. But everyone kept saying, "Have faith, have faith. I have faith because they have never disappointed us before." They did disappointed me last year, but I did have faith, I DO have faith. I am not giving up on the show, I'm not going to stop watching, I am fully aware that we can't tell what's going to happen from the first episode and that there COULD be an overall grand plan that turns out to be awesome in the end. But right now, I am not impressed. (And for the record, I don't blame Sera, or the fact that Kripke is gone. I was angry at Swan Song when Eric was still around full-time). But again, I seem to be the sole voice of dissent. The show can't please everyone and from what you guys have said, you're all very pleased. So, unfortunately in this case, I'm the one who isn't going to be pleased. What a bummer.

So sorry to buzzkill. I just had to vent it all once (especially since I was carrying this feeling all summer). I now return you to your regularly scheduled, Happy Supernatural Obsessed Crichiel. * she says as she scarily reaches for the 'submit reply' button in fear of what everyone's going to do to her when they read this...*

Comment

@Crichiel: Nah, you are not that alone, I just didn't have the proper words how to express my feelings and hope you excuse it if I use yours from time to time.

I didn't not like the episode, but it was imho the weakest season opener so far (or par with "The Magnificient Seven", which was also a little bit underwhelming in my eyes).

I couldn't agree more with the Campbells, I can't stand them and they feel as if they took the Roadhouse (which didn't work in their eyes) and combine it with Bella (who didn't work in the audience eyes). I secretly hope that they are an evil bunch and that the boys get rid of them more sooner than later.

I've watched the episode now two times and I liked it, but I did not love it. The tone between the brothers was just off, but I think that this was on purpose, because Dean was so disappointed by Sam and Bobby, and because of the stuff that happened to Sam, and I really, really hope that they fix it over the next episodes, because if it continues this way, I won't be able to love the new season as much as loved the other ones.

So, I did love the opener, the comparison between Deans old life and his new one, and I loved him with Lisa and Ben, and I loved Lisa, and how intelligent she was when Dean tried to say good-bye and she put him on his feet again. I also loved Frederic Lehne and how frightening his YED still is, and I loves "pest control" and "you won't believe what's living in some peoples walls, it's eating them up".

Hm, I guess my ambiguous feeling about this episode mirror Deans feelings, who can't be happy about the way Sam treated him, and to find out about the famous family of hunters, which put you from "best hunter in the world" to "another one from the same bunch". Where have they been for 5 years? So they are that good but did not know that their family was trying to stop the apocalypse, something every other hunter seemed to know at the end of S5?

Dean has every right to be suspicious and not follow them, and in the end he lets Sam go with a uneasy feeling, I guess the same feeling I had for the episode. Not really bad but also not that great.

Oh, and sadly it WAS boring in parts, but that is a problem that happened from time to time in the last season as well: too much talking about stuff.
                          The cake is a lie!

Comment

I agree with both of you.

Crichiel, bringing in the Campbells does mess with the bro's rep. Now I could maybe get behind Samuel, but as much as I love Corin, bringing in 3 other hunters, saying they're just like our boys cheapens them a lot. And, iolanda, I do think they're going to have to explain where these people have been since every other hunter under the sun and then some knew what the boys were up to. And if they're so great, why have the boys not run across them before?

And I think they can take the plot and the boys' relationship in a new direction with out changing the nature of each brother's personality they they seem to be doing. And I get that a stint in Hell, no matter how long, would change them. And I also agree that Dean's stint would have been worse. He may not have been in the middle of the Michael/Lucifer battle, but he was torturing "innocent" souls for 10 years after being ripped apart every day for 30.

I also think Lisa is good for Dean. She moderately understands what he's been through and accepts that he comes with some serious baggage. And I would like to see some more of Dean/Ben. Kinda like he could get to be the father to Ben that he was to Sam without all the pressure of having to do it while growing up himself and protecting Sammy from the hunting side of life. But I do think Dean settled in a little too much, even after a year. Yes, he still had the shotgun, holy water, and trap, but his baby was under a tarp! He didn't even seem to take her out on a semi-regular basis. Even if he wasn't actively hunting, there are just some things Dean, in my mind, would never separate from.

Now, because I didn't start watching until this summer, I haven't been attached to these people for as long as most of you, so I may be a little more forgiving? in my opinions about the directions things are headed. I guess I'll join Crichiel in waiting for the next few eps to see just how much they shake things up.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crichiel View Post
                              All right, I'll be the lone voice of dissent here.
                              You're not alone. I didn't like the episode either. I thought Swan Song was a bit of a let down, but I was so excited for the season to start...

He's THAT rusty after a YEAR?!! Give me a break.
                              I totally didn't buy that either. Dean is a hunter. Period. He might not be actively hunting, but he's a hunter.

Sounds a little worse to me.
                              I can't say which was worse yet, as we don't really know the particulars of Sam's stay in the pit, but I do think it was mighty hypocrital of him to shut Dean down so quickly when he asked about it when back in season 4 he pressured Dean the entire season to talk about his trip to Hell.

Back to Grandpa Winchester. "You're a Campbell." I'm sorry, I fell in love with these WINCHESTER brothers. They were raised by John, you guys just showed up.
                              When he said that I looked over at my roommate and said "excuse me, but we're Winchesters!!"

"Stick around, I'll show you things your daddy never even dreamed of."
                              I hated that line. I really liked Samuel when we first met him in the flashbacks. He was gruff and protective of his family but he seemed so...jerky. Arrogant and condescending and I don't remember him being that way. I'll have to rewatch those episodes again to see if he was always such a buttface. And anyway, maybe you know things that John didn't, but you'll never be as awesome. Ever.

Corin made me laugh though. When the girl!Campbell was like "you have delicate features" or whatever to Dean and Supernatural Jonas says "like your mom." For a second there I thought he was cracking a "your mom" joke. I lol'd.

I liked Lisa, though I'm still not sold on her being "the one" for Dean. She's smart and strong and seems like she could handle the life and I like the actress well enough to be interested in seeing more of her. Though I don't picture them getting a happy ending. Dean doesn't seem particularly happy there, like he's staying more out of duty and because everyone expects him too. I think I'm still still bitter that they didn't bring Cassie back for this plotline.

I thought Sam and Dean's reunion was so stiff and...boring.
                              Yep. I think part of it might be that Jared Padalecki, fabulous guy that he is, is just not a great actor. I just didn't feel any emotion coming from him. Dean was near to tears and Sam was just like "Oh yeah, hi." I didn't like it at all. It once again gave me the feeling that Sam doesn't quite love his brother as much as Dean loves him. Maybe they're playing that way for a reason, but I didn't like it.

Sam, a new Dodge Charger? Really? If you are going with a Charger, at least go for the Dukes of Hazard era one!
                              Ok, I have to laugh at this because that was my exact reaction. I was like, "A new charger? Ew." But then, it kind of makes sense. Sam never did want to be like his family. I bet he's got his ipod deck and listens to emo rock with two guitars and a whole lot of complaining.

I did like the new title card though. It's not as awesome as the one for seasons 2 and four, but so much better than season 5. That on had unpleasant associations for me. Icky.

I loved Bobby in this episode.
                              I will always love Bobby. I think I was more panicked in Swan Song at the thought of him dying than the thought of Sam dying.

I'll watch this show to the bitter end, even if I end up hating it this season. I LOVE MY BOYS! And Bobby. AND CAS! Castiel could have made this episode better I just know it. Cas and Bobby. And Crowley. It's sad when my favorite things about the show aren't the main characters anymore.

Also? The Impala. I missed the Impala more than I thought it was possible to miss a car.
                              Originally posted by Callista
                              Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                              Originally posted by HPMom
                              She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Working...
                              X