• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unvanquished (110)

CAPRICA SEASON ONE
    UNVANQUISHED
    EPISODE NUMBER - 110

Clarice visits Gemenon to pitch a terrorist attack to the STO leadership, while Daniel has a meeting with the Ha'La'Tha, where he seeks support for creating a virtual afterlife. (TV Guide)

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    Last edited by Darren; 04 July 2011, 03:07 PM.

feel the joy of caprica returning .....
    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

As much as I like this show, that episode was really underwhelming. I really couldn't stand some of the dialogue and costume choices in the Gemenon subplot. It just seemed so much more exotic than anything we'd seen in the BSG universe before, and I don't think it did the show any favors.

I do at least like that Daniel is involved with the Guatrau now, and that his daughter is a powerful Deadwalker. That was kinda cool. lol And yay for Not-Genii terrorist guy possibly sticking around for a while.

Overall, it was sadly just a little on the boring side. Kind of sad, since this was Eric Stoltz' first time directing the show, I believe.

Comment

Very religion oriented show but still good! I kinda agree they overdid the costumes on Gemenon a bit but that planet was always the most traditional one. It made me think of Orthodox christians.

I wasn't sure Amanda was going to survived since we saw her as an hologram in one of the trailers for the second half of the season. Nice surprise! I hope Zoe & Tamara kick some V-butts together soon!

Comment

Dull, boring, uninteresting characters, no real story progress towards the Cylon rebellion and the Final Five or the creation of the skin jobs.

I don't understand how the Virtual reality of Apotheosis is supposed to lead to the sentient cylons or the skinjobs.

When is the fall going to start?

I wonder if they'll have Baltar on the show as a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
            Dull, boring, uninteresting characters, no real story progress towards the Cylon rebellion and the Final Five or the creation of the skin jobs.

I don't understand how the Virtual reality of Apotheosis is supposed to lead to the sentient cylons or the skinjobs.
            Probably because the Colonials have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of either as established by BSG.

They have mentioned a time or two before and in this episode is the hope that apotheosis could also lead to having a real existence/body outside of the VR world. I assume that is the stepping stone towards sentient Cylons like Zoe was.

I enjoyed the episode, though I did keep wondering when Zoe would finally appear.
            Last edited by LoneStar1836; 06 October 2010, 01:25 PM.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Probably because the Colonials have absolutely nothing to do with the creation of either as established by BSG.
              Which has obviously been overturned by Caprica, in case you didn't catch it, Zoe's robot Chasis is the model for the Cylons.

Comment

Which is precisely why I did not bold "Cylon rebellion" when replying.

Only the skin jobs and the Final Five have no bearing in Caprica because neither one were created by the Colonials.
                Last edited by LoneStar1836; 06 October 2010, 02:32 PM.
                IMO always implied.

Comment

One of my favorite parts of this was the scenery at the monotheist "Vatican." I loved the blend of Medieval Catholic, Early/Byzantine Christian, and Tibetan Buddhist imagery.

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
                    One of my favorite parts of this was the scenery at the monotheist "Vatican." I loved the blend of Medieval Catholic, Early/Byzantine Christian, and Tibetan Buddhist imagery.
                    , very cool design there. Just love the design mixes in the show - steampunk V-world, 50's clothing in Caprica, high-tech corporations, mafia-style Taurons, and now medieval monasteries on Gemenon.

@Galileo: that's not what the show is about - just see it because of it's own merits, and not because of any buildup to the Cylon war. You'll enjoy it more that way

Also, it's been a while since I've seen the old eps, but did Clarice succeed in downloading the 'Apotheosis' programme from Graystone? If so, I think the Amanda we see at the end is in fact V!Amanda...
                    Mia: Don't you hate that?
                    Vincent: Hate what?
                    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                    - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
                      Also, it's been a while since I've seen the old eps, but did Clarice succeed in downloading the 'Apotheosis' programme from Graystone? If so, I think the Amanda we see at the end is in fact V!Amanda...
                      She did. That's how they "resurrected" all those people that blew up the pyramid stadium as a demonstration that it worked.

I'm wondering the same about Amanda. I just don't see how she could survived but then why did she have the leg brace?
                      IMO always implied.

Comment

Only the skin jobs and the Final Five have no bearing in Caprica because neither one were created by the Colonials.
                        And the other problem is that they're a few thousand years older than the Cylons too.

But that's a mystery that will probably never be revealed.

@Galileo: that's not what the show is about - just see it because of it's own merits, and not because of any buildup to the Cylon war. You'll enjoy it more that way
                        Actually, yes, that is what the show is about.

From the Wiki:
                        Caprica is a science fiction drama television series. It is set in the universe of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica, some 58 years earlier. Caprica shows how humanity first created the robotic Cylons who would later plot to destroy humans in retaliation for their enslavement.
                        Also:
                        hereas the dark, post-apocalyptic reimagined Battlestar Galactica series revolved around a final struggle for survival, Caprica is concerned with a world intoxicated by success. Ronald D. Moore states: "It's about a society that's running out of control with a wild-eyed glint in its eye."[5] The Twelve Colonies are at their peak: self-involved, oblivious, and mesmerized by the seemingly unlimited promise of technology. Framed by the conflict between the Adamas and the Graystones over the resurrection of loved ones lost in an act of terrorism, the series will explore ethical implications of advances in artificial intelligence and robotics.[7]

Set against the backdrop of a society with technology ahead of our own, Caprica is grounded in urban locales rather than in space, and focuses on corporate, political, familial, and personal intrigue, similar in approach to a Greek tragedy. With the troubled relationship between two families at its center, Moore himself has likened Caprica to the 1980s prime time soap opera Dallas, and it has been referred to as "television's first science fiction family saga."[8]
                        And so far it is moving really slowly.

I'm not adverse to slow moving shows, but I also don't like it when it's too slow. And so far, it has been too slow for my tastes. I also don't really like the characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Galileo_Galilee View Post
                          And the other problem is that they're a few thousand years older than the Cylons too.

But that's a mystery that will probably never be revealed.
                          I thought it was resolved just fine on BSG. *shrug*

You do understand that the Final Five are from a completely different society that went down the same path as the Colonials are now doing. The whole "all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again" is what essentially explains this. The Final Five lived on a world where they created similar Cylons and were eventually destroyed by their creation but the Final Five had created the means to resurrect and thus when they got nuked, they downloaded onto a ship that then for whatever reason headed off in the direction of the 13 colonies and the Cylon homeworld. It took thousands of years to make the journey. They discovered the Colonial Cylons in a war with humans and brokered a deal with them to stop them from eliminating all those humans (thus repeating the cycle) in return for the skin job technology and the ability to resurrect. It worked for a while, but the war started back up. So what was left of the Colonies set out for a new world and thus you got the BSG story. Up to the point BSG ended, it was supposed to suggest that this had been an endless cycle/story being played out throughout time.

I do agree that Carpica is meant to help build up the story behind the first Cylon Rebellion. Granted this is the initial stage of just where did Cylons come from and how did they come to be sentient and why the desire for resurrection. I think this needs to be understood first before you get into just what triggers the war 10 or so yrs from now.

I did find the first several eps too slow, but did think it picked up the pace with "There is Another Sky".

This ep got more involved with the role of religion that as we know has its part to play later on. It was a lot of talk but I think it did lay a lot of groundwork about a monotheistic religion's involvement in their evolution and the desire for a guaranteed afterlife that didn't require faith in one...
                          IMO always implied.

Comment

This wasn't a bad episode, but it definitely wasn't great. I guess I expected a little more after it being off for so long. I wanted it to come back with a bang.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I actually wonder if the God the angels Baltar and Six will appear in some way.

And maybe even the Final Five.

I don't think so but it's definately an idea.

But, at least as far as I know, you might be right. I don't recall if they've ever actually directly explained it on a BSG episode or not.

And if not then they really should.

Comment

Working...
                              X