Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
    Rodney’s Running Shoes

Default Re: 'Pathogen' (204) General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by zainea13 View Post
    And what made it perfect was that it wasn't Eli's idea, a person with authority made it happen. And it wasn't like she just said "Oh yeah, can we bring this person on board for a quick tour." She demanded it. Because if it would have just been Eli saying "Oh, mom, er-- Eli's mom, let me show you the ship." And then it happened, it would have been terrible.
    I just got a hell of a lot more respect for Wray this week.

As a stargate episode, this was the most boring ever made.

I cant stand the Wray story anymore, the character is less relevant now than in the first season. She needs to go.

Eli, all that should have been done the first time he visited his mom. It doesnt make a difference in the characters development at all.

TJ really dropped the ball on Chloes bullet wound, nobody heals that fast, and dont give me the lost of her baby as a reason for being distracted, she has time to check out Varro, so doing her job shouldnt be a problem. Chloe is exhibiting healing superpowers and everyone act like nothing is going on for 3 episodes and now they just catching on!?!

Scott is getting more soft and whinny each day.

Greer is back to his one dimensional personality.

Rush is stuck in groundhog day, again.

And Young forgot to shave, he probably didnt feel like it, woke up late, been drinking all night. For a "leader", hes taking his sweet time figuring out Rush is up to something.

Then we have some LA action, no, that died fast too.

Like i said, BORING. And to think i was beginning to like season 2.

One good thing, the set and vfx are looking good like always.

5/10

EDIT: Binder wrote this episode, well that explains a lot.

Chief Master Sergeant

Hopefully Young gets beat up by someone, perhaps Telford. I wouldn't mind seeing Greer get beat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post

Meanwhile, the mystery of Chloe's condition continues to push forward. I assume that, when she figured out the computer interface-thingy on the alien ship in the latter half of season one, she was under the influence of this change that is only now making itself more apparent to the crew. I like what this element brings to the story, though I have no idea where it's going. I wonder if, when she's having these blackouts, whether it's just something wrong with her on a chemical level, or if she's being contacted psychically by the blue aliens. Considering our history with them and the stones, it wouldn't surprise me if they were indeed able to do such things.
    I love the fact that as an audience we have no idea what will happen with Chloe. Adds some suspense. Hope they don't ruin it with the teasers for the next episode when the time comes. Or by finding some alien bug to cure it or something, haha.

Also, I totally agree with you on the Wray thing, definitely a good character this episode. That, and the fact she hurts for Sharon, and that Sharon has a chance to talk about it for once. Definitely nice, without really stating it. That's what this show misses a lot, trying to explain everything. We see a few words of exchange between Sharon and Eli's Mom, but really it is just implied that they will bond over this situation and help each other through it.

First Lieutenant

This episode was ok for me. At times it teetered towards the style of the episode Life but would pull back from it. Enjoyed the Eli scenes with his mother. Again not as boring as Life so I'll give it that.

<Snipped requote/reply.Relevant post deleted by Moderator.>

Quote Originally Posted by Derocalypse View Post
    This episode was ok for me. At times it teetered towards the style of the episode Life but would pull back from it. Enjoyed the Eli scenes with his mother. Again not as boring as Life so I'll give it that.
    Life was filled with a lot of things that were drawn out, they had impact on the characters, but it took up so much of the episode that it made you not care, and they were kinda cheesy really. But this episode pulled it together, and nicely wound it in with the story without losing the impact of the earth story-lines.

One thing I'd like to mention about Greer's part in this episode.

I think it's fair to say that he waved his gun around a lot in season one. Some people have accused him of abusing the power that comes with having a weapon like that wherever he goes, even in what amount to basically social situations with civilian crewmembers and such. I'm not going to debate whether or not his conduct was always justifiable, but whatever you feel about it, it was there.

Which is why I love the scene this week where he actually hands his gun to someone else and tells them to walk away while he gets in Simeon's face. The fact that he has a weapon is not the only thing that makes him powerful. He's going to excercise his authority how he sees fit, gun or no gun.

There's something really fascinating about how he conducts himself, whether we agree with every decision he makes or not. He's still imposing as hell, and it's interesting to see him remove his possession of a gun from the equation and still lose almost nothing.

Fantastic scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
    One thing I'd like to mention about Greer's part in this episode.

I think it's fair to say that he waved his gun around a lot in season one. Some people have accused him of abusing the power that comes with having a weapon like that wherever he goes, even in what amount to basically social situations with civilian crewmembers and such. I'm not going to debate whether or not his conduct was always justifiable, but whatever you feel about it, it was there.

Which is why I love the scene this week where he actually hands his gun to someone else and tells them to walk away while he gets in Simeon's face. The fact that he has a weapon is not the only thing that makes him powerful. He's going to excercise his authority how he sees fit, gun or no gun.

There's something really fascinating about how he conducts himself, whether we agree with every decision he makes or not. He's still imposing as hell, and it's interesting to see him remove his possession of a gun from the equation and still lose almost nothing.

Fantastic scene.
    I like the fact he wants to "fight on even grounds," and I really like greer, and that he was standing up for Park to Simeon, but it came across as cheesy to me. That scene. Kinda would have liked to see some argumentation there. Simeon just kinda backs down like the nerd being bullied lol.

Staff Sergeant

I just wonder how many episodes are they gonna drag it out before the big smackdown. It could get funny if they keep making angry face at each other for another half of the season.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by meo3000 View Post
    As a stargate episode, this was the most boring ever made.

I cant stand the Wray story anymore, the character is less relevant now than in the first season. She needs to go.

Eli, all that should have been done the first time he visited his mom. It doesnt make a difference in the characters development at all.

TJ really dropped the ball on Chloes bullet wound, nobody heals that fast, and dont give me the lost of her baby as a reason for being distracted, she has time to check out Varro, so doing her job shouldnt be a problem. Chloe is exhibiting healing superpowers and everyone act like nothing is going on for 3 episodes and now they just catching on!?!

Scott is getting more soft and whinny each day.

Greer is back to his one dimensional personality.

Rush is stuck in groundhog day, again.

And Young forgot to shave, he probably didnt feel like it, woke up late, been drinking all night. For a "leader", hes taking his sweet time figuring out Rush is up to something.

Then we have some LA action, no, that died fast too.

Like i said, BORING. And to think i was beginning to like season 2.

One good thing, the set and vfx are looking good like always.

5/10

EDIT: Binder wrote this episode, well that explains a lot.
    Awww...But I like Young's beard stubble...and the longer, curly hair.
    My only problem with this eppy... and the season premiere...is that Young seems to be pushed to the background in favor of the other cast members this season.

Good for Eli that his mother visited Destiny in the body of James he was so happy he got to hug James.

Colonel

Great episode, though clearly set up for future stories. Not the kind that will entice new fans I don't think, not without knowing what has gone on before hand. Simeon not knowing that the others were genuinely co-operating, Rush 'recruiting' Chloe, Wray and Eli's mother meeting because of their common troubles with loved ones and the stones. Some very interesting stuff in there. I thought the Chloe story had fallen slat until the final reveal

Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by dvdrts View Post
    Good for Eli that his mother visited Destiny in the body of James he was so happy he got to hug James.
    Pretty sure it was Park, not James.

BRILLIANT! Pathogen was an instant sci-fi classic. Best episode of season two and one of the best episodes period. Packed full of the sense of wonder that SGU does so well. I never thought I would see sci-fi TV done so right! I'm thinking Scalzi has a lot to do with it.

I had the Chloe story line spoiled by season 2 trailer but the how was great. I LOVED Rush's blackboard room. Made me like character a little more despite all the evil. I'll gladly put up with Lucian Alliance Incursion type story lines if it means episodes like this are waiting on the other side. Stone stories were satisfactory - Eli's was just damn good like it was last time but they didn't linger on earth, most of the story was on the ship. If you have to use the SG-1 stones, that's the way to do it.
    I love SGU and I even like the other two SGU prequel shows

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by SupremeLegate View Post
    And of course I simply like the fact that the one stable relationship is the lesbian one.
    They're both very immature... and it's obviously not been a stable relationship since the beginning of the show. I'm not so sure if it ever was one.

SGU seems to be going backward again *sigh*...after such a promising start to the season.

The most boring episode since Life.

Quote Originally Posted by KEK View Post
    Pretty sure it was Park, not James.

sorry, i tought it was James. anyone that can confirm who it was?

General

Looks like once again I'm in the tiny group of people who liked the Wray/Sharon storyline. Well, nuts to you guys!

Seriously though, I thought this episode was great, and if it were a standalone episode it would easily be the best of the season so far. However, ever since Subversion the episodes have (almost) effortlessly ran together to the point where it's hard to really separate them. For instance, Chloe's arc has been present since the last few minutes of Incursion II, with minor moments leading back to Lost and of course, Space and Divided.

Speaking of Chloe; her story is obviously a setup. Her problems are addressed, then promptly hidden so as to develop quietly in the background under Rush's manipulations. I wonder where they will go with this. During the first season I made the argument that having Chloe suddenly get alien-y would be a bad move since it detracts from her natural growth into a useful member of the crew; still, I'm intrigued. Perhaps this will merely aid her in that growth; she has enormous inner strength as shown in a few scenes of Season 1, so perhaps seeing how she deals with this very-personal threat would reveal more of what makes her tick? I would like that.

From Chloe, we get to Rush. His development this season has been nothing short of delicious. Rush was getting softer during the latter half of Season 1, but with the discovery of the bridge, that side of him seem to be put on the back burner. The desire to control Destiny, to complete her mission, and to understand it all, has consumed him; he is driven by a single goal, and that means him falling back on "the greater good" - anything could and should be sacrificed in completing that goal. To that end, he has made some mistakes, and he clearly feels guilty about them; here, he blackmails Chloe into helping him - for the greater good, no doubt. Rush is basically spiralling down a deep hole, throwing away all parts of him that distracts him from understanding Destiny - and yet, that guilt is still there.

This is obviously an ongoing thing that will reach a head pretty soon, and I'm practically salivating at what will become of him. I'm sure he will spiral further until his secret is out, and when that happens, there will be a helluva show. However, I believe there will be redemption. Rush's motivations are pretty clear despite what the writers say; he wants to understand Destiny - in itself not at all a malicious thing; it is this that will set him free, so to speak.

Running parallel to Rush, you have Young. Like Kermee, one of my only major complaints is that Young is getting short-shrifted this season (so far). The man is spiraling as well, and yet he isn't getting nearly the amount of attention Rush is; I guess this is an unfortunate side effect of having a large cast, but still. A few shots of him drinking can only express so much, you know? What we're missing is seeing Young face his demons on his own, like Rush is doing on the Bridge. Having Telford acknowledge Young's slow breakdown in Awakening was a good start, and shows that the writers are paying attention, but I definitely hope that his arc will come to a head soon as well.

Perhaps it's not as bad as I make it out to be though. So far, we have Young drinking, which has been present in every episode besides this one; plus, he seems to have stopped shaving, and his hair is getting out of control. He is also acting a bit more arrogant, and there are hints of rebellious thoughts regarding Homeworld Command. The signs of his breakdown are everywhere; however, like I said, I just really hope this is all going somewhere. The worst offender here is his sudden reversal this episode with regard to the LA. For a while after that I was trying to rationalize how that happened. In Awakening he was all "they have no rights" and now he quotes Wray in saying that he can't keep them locked up forever? Why the contradiction? Zainea13 above there said that Young merely came to his senses and decided to follow the orders - but why? This is literally a 180-degree change, and I find it difficult to accept.

I will have to ask Joe or Carl about this one. Very puzzling.

Moving on. The highlight of this episode is without a doubt Eli's story. David Blue knocked it out of the park. Right from the beginning, with Eli running off to the stones room before Young finished his sentence, I knew it was going to be special. Then, I got misty during Eli and his mom's first encounter. It was so obvious that Mommy Wallace missed her son, and the pain in her face knowing that her son won't come visit her was difficult to watch, especially for me, as I'm about to live alone for the first time in my life, away from my mom and dad. I know that I will miss them, and they will miss me, and it's going to be difficult.

Then Eli finally stopped pretending and revealed who he was, only to have his mom break his heart due to the craziness of this situation. You really can't blame her, especially in her emotional state; and yet, seeing Eli like that was, again, very painful. "You're not my son!" echoed in my ears for a good while after it was uttered. From there on, the story got even better; seeing Eli putting his foot down about not going back until his mom's troubles were taken care of was great, and his story about the time when his dad left left me misty once more.

Nothing beat the stone scene though. First, we have Eli with the kind of grin only reserved for sons to give to their moms, and then we have that ecstatic, teary face mommy made while embracing Eli for the first time in almost a year. That scene was incredible, as it had the build-up of the entire show so far. I mean, I literally felt her shock and surprise and happiness as the camera swung from Young to Eli, knowing that it's finally happened, that she finally saw her son again. I majorly teared up here.

I had hoped that the Rush plot of stopping the ship randomly and Eli plot of proving his identity to mom would dovetail into having the latter two on the Observation deck, and I was delighted to see that I hoped correctly! It's always magical to see a "normal person" exposed to the wonders of the Universe, and this was no exception. Added onto that the fact that Eli is basically me and his mom is suspiciously similar to mine (besides the AIDS thing, thank God), this became an extraordinary, if not much-too-short scene.

Then there was that continuing LA plot. Varro is continuing to show integrity while Simeon's character is starting to get teased out, finally. He is basically a slimy, opportunistic git - excellent villain material. Robert Knepper plays him so well that after a performance I just want to physically wash the slime off of him. Opposite him we have Greer, who was extra badass in this episode. After a season of build up, who once was labelled to be a loose canon or a "psycho" has firmly established, at least for me, his strength and authority as a Master Sergeant. Damn, he was Awesome.

Finally, we come to Wray and Sharon. Like I said at the beginning, I like and have always liked their storyline; sometimes it's just nice seeing a couple that's been together for ages interacting because of all those quirks that they develop together; all those little looks, little wordless moments where the two understand each other perfectly without uttering a sound - they are precious moments showing the bond and familiarily between them. This time was no exception. Wray saw right through Sharon as she pretended everything was fine during that first dinner scene, but she hasn't realized just how deep that hurt was, resulting in her being surprised at Sharon's demeanor when she couldn't find her keys. Wray has always seen Sharon as herself, never understanding fully that Sharon didn't have that luxury. This was a deeply personal storyline resulting from the very-science-fiction-y nature of the stones, and I loved that they finally explored this. And, at the end, when Sharon finally tells Wray of why she's been acting differently, I loved how she was so quick to say "I'll be fine", as if to make sure Wray doesn't worry; that's what I'm talking about with the "precious moments" remark; seldom do you see two people so much in love; despite Sharon's distress, she wastes no time in making sure Wray is alright. I love those two.

Of course, at the end, it is bittersweet, as Wray could not have the same chance as Eli did with his mother. You can see Wray nod half-heartedly at Eli's appreciation, knowing that she couldn't do the same with her own loved one. Her actions here just reinforces my opinion that she is a decent human being who cares about "her people" on the ship - which I never doubted.

And now, you have Eli's mom talking to Sharon; I hope this is something they will pursue down the line. It was odd seeing Eli and Wray together in "Faith", but with this episode and with their loved ones connecting, it seems the writers are willing to develop their relationship; colour me intrigued. Let's see where they go with this one. At least, we can have some more feel-good family stuff with them.

Oh, and Robert Carlyle directed! He did a great job. The actors' emotions were really teased out, and I can only assume that's partially due to the fact that RC is an actor as well. Considering that Rush wasn't in the episode any less than normal (as they usually are when the actor is also directing), I would definitely love to see him direct more!

Ok, I think that's about it. Of course, the SFX, music, sets, lighting, CGI, etc. etc. are always excellent. Great episode!
    Last edited by PG15; October 20th, 2010 at 12:56 AM.

Lieutenant Colonel MattSilver 3k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndSoItBegins View Post
    Now all that’s left are Scott’s homelife, Chloe’s mom and the Young’s wife. And frankly I don’t think TPTB need to even address the first two.
    Agreed. Chloe and her mother are fine, and Scott's son is more of a personal representation for his struggles throughout the remaining episodes. Young's wife on the other hand... Definitely need to have a scene there.

<Snipped only because the original post it refers to was deleted.>

Episode was good. Actually, what surprised me most was the fact that it's not getting totally slammed on by everybody here. Guess I can't predict the fanbase sometimes (Happened with Light too). But it's a pleasant surprise.

Now, I personally figured that Chloe wouldn't get healed - trailer strikes again - but her teaming up with Rush adds intrigue. They have an odd bond, really - from their little confrontation in Air and their bond in Divided over events of Space... But it's a good bond. Rush doesn't really have any allies or willing pawns or whatever, and I hope Chloe's smart about whatever Rush gets her to help him with. It's a great development for her to have too - one that increases her character importance in a subtle and awesome way, and I have no idea how it'll end up. That's a good thing.

The Lucian Alliance stuff was intriguing (But no Ginn! Aww... ). Most of all, I'm digging the increased relationship between TJ and Varro, unsubtle though it may be, and I especially liked the reveal that Simeon is playing everybody and Varro and the others are not. Wow. The writers are building Simeon up to be someone crafty and all that, and I bet after these setbacks (His charming personality currying him no friends and this reveal that everybody else is actually playing nice), he'll turn into someone to look out for. I just hope it doesn't end badly for anybody IE Greer.

You know, I feel like Scott doesn't get enough credit. I mean, this time last year we were all hounding on him for being a manwhore or what-have-you, but after that, he's kinda always just been there, you know? There, quite there but not there, but still feel's there. I've been watching him, and although he's kinda characterised a little less than Young or Greer, he's still very solid. Heart on his sleeve kinda guy (Here and Awakening), but a solid leader under crisis (Aftermath) and a good soldier nonetheless (Intervention). I like that he was worried about himself and Chloe, really vulnerable even, and he was always trying to be there for her this episode, always with her wellbeing at the forefront, and for that, he definitely earned his spot as one of my favourite characters as of late.

Young was sane this episode - good for him - and I think it's because of Telford's most recent sacrifice. If so, great. He's still drinking though... TJ was TJ, all doe-eyed, smoking hot and compassionate. Rush was Rush... Blah blah everybody else was cool, and they all had their moment. Greer <3.

Now, back on Earth... Hmm... I know Carl Binder gets a lot of flack. A LOT of flack, mind you, about the episodes he's picked to write, but I gotta say that there's a reason for him writing these ones - he does character emotions and interactions like a champ, as evidenced here with Eli/his mother and Wray/Sharon, even though it may not look like it at first (He also pulled off Life better than anyone else would've, and Pain and Water were great to me). The fraying edges of the latter relationship was great once highlighted, and the whole thing dovetailed excellently in the end, playing off the relationship between Eli and Camille, which is probably my favourite random friendship - it balances out Camille's 'moments', gives her a human side, and it's nice to see Eli's not mooning over Chloe so much anymore (Or is as depressed as he looked in the back half of season one). My shipper heart is so conflicted when it comes to Eli/Chloe/Scott triangle these days - Scott and Chloe do seem to actually work in their own way, but another part of me does want to see Eli get the girl...

Good episode overall. Some cool emotions played about, and, while it's not one of my favourites, it was still a great character episode, and SGU does 'em best.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; October 20th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by dvdrts View Post
    sorry, i tought it was James. anyone that can confirm who it was?
    Watch the episode again. When she first transfers over you can see Park's face in a reflection.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast